The hunt for Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by DKSuddeth, Mar 5, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I know that I'm more cynical than most people, but doesn't anyone find it more than just coincidence that the hunt for OBL is being stepped up to a 24/7 high tech op now, instead of a year or two ago? Could it have something to do with bad job numbers, new ones which are out today, and expectations of the jobless market not panning out the way they were supposed to from 6 months ago?

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Probably more so to do with new intelligence coming in.

Which bad numbers are you speaking of? The fact that the unemployment rate is so low, lower than anytime in the 80's or 90's? The fact that the nation's economic output revealed the strongest quarterly growth in 20 years? The fact that the number of American workers is at an all time high of 138.5 million, a level never before attained in U.S. history?

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The average working joe doesn't give one iota about those numbers Jim, what matters to that person is if he/she can find a job. While the job market is picking up slightly its not producing the 100,00+ a month that was predicted by the economic team 6 months ago. Now, a big picture look at the issue may be whats needed to see how things are not as bad as they seem but a man or woman who can't provide for their family because of scarcity of a job is not going to find the common sense to deal with that big picture look. You know it as well as I.

Thats all I was saying, and maybe the Bush admin is trying to produce a captured bin laden to ride out the fallout from a still lagging job market.

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    And like I said, the unemployment rate is at one of the lowest in years. It was higher when Clinton was president, did you rail him non-stop for the jobless problems? There are more people employed now than anytime in history.

Seems to me like the average Joe is working and happy.

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    when a job was hard for me to find, yes i did.

thats a very misleading statement, there may be more employed now than anytime in history, but our working population has also grown, tremendously.

and like karen hughes, do you disregard the reports from individuals in the rust belt, or south carolina, where factories have closed or are closing, salaries are dropping because ops go offshore? Theres a job market problem, not enough jobs. Thats reality.

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    So job growth means nothing, at least if DK can't find a job. If you're happily employed than there is no reason to complain about the unemployment status?

And the fact that we are at one of the lowest unemployment rates in 20 years shows that we are keeping up with the growth.

No more of a problem than it's been in the last 20 years. Funny how those figures are ignored when you are employed.

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    maybe you think I'm trying to use these as an attack or something. I'm not. I'm telling you how a great many people are going to consider their personal situation is all. If you feel you have to defend it then maybe theres something else you should be looking at.

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I agree with you DK, a great number of people will consider their situations when voting. And I believe everyone on this board would like to see continued job growth in the economy.
    However Jim makes great points the unemployment rate now is not higher than when Clinton ran for reelection. And with that unemployment rate he was reelected.

Unemployment rate in 1996 first quater = 5.6, Clinton reelected.

Unemployment rate in 2004 first quater = 5.6, Bush reeleceted?

link

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    that is a strong possibility indeed.

10. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Maybe it's intelligence combined with weather.