The Hunger Games

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
Have you read the trilogy? What did you think? Planning to see the movie (opens Friday)?

I actually found the first book in a pile of discarded books from my son at college. It sounded like an odd title, so I read the jacket. Then, the first few pages. I finished the book in one sitting (it was a weekend). The last book I did that with was 'The Empire Strikes Back' paperback, back in high school.

I enjoyed the first book, and while I did not read the next two in one sitting each, I did complete them in about 7 days each, I enjoyed them just as much.

Looking forward to the movie, but I'll go late Saturday, as being surrounded by a bunch of screaming kids on opening night is not my cup of tea.:lol:

i have not read the books....as lace loaned them to someone and they have not been returned but i think we are all hitting the movies...i am not sure when....

Have you read the trilogy? What did you think? Planning to see the movie (opens Friday)?

I actually found the first book in a pile of discarded books from my son at college. It sounded like an odd title, so I read the jacket. Then, the first few pages. I finished the book in one sitting (it was a weekend). The last book I did that with was 'The Empire Strikes Back' paperback, back in high school.

I enjoyed the first book, and while I did not read the next two in one sitting each, I did complete them in about 7 days each, I enjoyed them just as much.

Looking forward to the movie, but I'll go late Saturday, as being surrounded by a bunch of screaming kids on opening night is not my cup of tea.:lol:

I have not read it yet but people I know are reading them in a week. They say they are really addictive. I won't see the movie until I read. Maybe I'll go to the book store this weekend.

I have not read the books, mostly because I think they are 'young adult' books. The couple of times I have tried books with that label, written for a younger audience, I was very unimpressed.

I'm sure I'll watch the movie at some point, although I doubt I'll see it in the theater. If I like it, maybe I'll try the books out.

I read the first two, I sort of petered out on the third; I read excerpts then got distracted by something else at the time, lol...

Very good, very entertaining, high concept. Yes I'm watching the movie. I will probably buy it when it hits the shelves...Plus that girl is a SUPER good actress, I watched her in Winter's Bone, which was a fabulous story, fab movie as well, and I can't wait to see what she does with the protagonist.

Also looking forward to seeing how they present the dome thing that the games are held in!

And I do want to see it in the theater because if it's done right, parts are going to be on a pretty grand scale.

In fact, I haven't looked forward to a movie in quite a while...I am looking forward to this one.

If it isn't spectacular on the special effects end, well, the story is good enough to carry it anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-dnmF8fbto]The Hunger Games (2012) - YouTube[/ame]

I might actually go into a real live movie theater...something I have done in years.

Having been an Edgar Rice burroughs fan when I was a kid, and now seeing that somebody is doing a movie about CARTER (warlord of Mars) I'll be interested in seeing how well this book has been turned into a movie.

Its a nostalgic thing, ya know?

A friend of mine saw the movie last night. He hadn't read the books and said he felt the movie left too much out; he found himself asking questions about the books of his cousin during the movie, because he said some of what they left unexplained was important to the plot.

A friend of mine saw the movie last night. He hadn't read the books and said he felt the movie left too much out; he found himself asking questions about the books of his cousin during the movie, because he said some of what they left unexplained was important to the plot.

how did he know stuff was left out if he had not read the books?

Just saw it at 10:50 show in Oaks PA last night. There was a huge crowd in the lobby, and the usher pointed out why... M. Night Shyamalan (who grew up in the area) had bought out the previous show, in it's entirety, and had his friends and family fill the theater. Got to shake his hand and say a quick hi before my show started :)

As for the movie, it was very good. Yes, some things were left out, but they did not detract from the overall effect of the film. Had I not read the books, I would have been able to follow it anyway. A lot of hand held camera work, and much of the violence was flashes so quick that it wasn't gory at all. Overall I was happy, and I am looking forward to the next film.

I have not read the books, mostly because I think they are 'young adult' books. The couple of times I have tried books with that label, written for a younger audience, I was very unimpressed.

I'm sure I'll watch the movie at some point, although I doubt I'll see it in the theater. If I like it, maybe I'll try the books out.

Just got done with Hunger Games book 1, thought it was OK. I have a feeling I'll be more satisfied once I read the second and third books (if I get around to it). The books are free to borrow, by the way, if you have an Amazon Prime account + a Kindle.

If you're looking for a good 'young adult' book with substance, I thought the Harry Potter series was excellent; JK Rowling is a fantastic writer.

Last edited:
I've decided I'm not going to see it right now. Too much hype like Avatar and others. I ended up being disappointed after all the BS.

Forum List

Back