The human toll John Edwards took is heartbreaking

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
The trial is showing just how callous and self serving this man was.

Bless the Democrats who had the conviction and love of country to "give him up" to various tipsters so they could stop his run for the Presidency.

What a scumbucket.

I've been following this at the DM. This testimony ripped my heart out today.

Palmieri was with the Edwards family when Elizabeth died in December of 2010 after battling cancer.

She broke down in tears describing what Elizabeth said: 'She was concerned that when she died, there would not be a man who loved her there,' Palmieri said, though she noted that John Edwards was there in the end.

Read more: White House staffer to testify at John Edwards trial about 2007 fight in hotel room where Elizabeth confronted donor about paying off Rielle Hunter | Mail Online

Yeah... I wish the Republicans had the same conviction to go after Gingrich.

81607744.gif

They kinda did. He was quite the political animal and it took awhile to get rid of him.

In the summer of 1997 several House Republicans attempted to replace him as Speaker, claiming Gingrich's public image was a liability. The attempted "coup" began July 9 with a meeting of Republican conference chairman John Boehner of Ohio and Republican leadership chairman Bill Paxon of New York. According to their plan, House Majority Leader Dick Armey, House Majority Whip Tom DeLay, Boehner and Paxon were to present Gingrich with an ultimatum: resign, or be voted out. However, Armey balked at the proposal to make Paxon the new Speaker, and told his chief of staff to warn Gingrich about the attempted coup.[82]

On July 11, Gingrich met with senior Republican leadership to assess the situation. He explained that under no circumstance would he step down. If he was voted out, there would be a new election for Speaker. This would allow for the possibility that Democrats, along with dissenting Republicans, would vote in Dick Gephardt as Speaker. On July 16, Paxon offered to resign his post, feeling that he had not handled the situation correctly, as the only member of the leadership who had been appointed to his position—by Gingrich—instead of elected.[83]

Resignation

In 1998 Republicans lost five seats in the House—the worst midterm performance in 64 years by a party not holding the presidency. Gingrich, who won his reelection, was held largely responsible for Republican losses in the House. The day after the election, a Republican caucus ready to rebel against him prompted his resignation of the speakership. He also announced his intended and eventual full departure from the House in January of 1999.[84] When relinquishing the speakership, Gingrich said he was "not willing to preside over people who are cannibals." And he said leaving the House would keep him from overshadowing his successor.[84]

Newt Gingrich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I don't get it the "tit for tat game". Why can't libs just say Edwards is a scumbucket?
Now back to this heartless soul, man oh man he was wrapping up so many people into his lies.

Kudos to those Democrats who stood their ground and derailed his campaign.

Last edited:
Granny says he couldn't be guilty `cause he's so good lookin'...
:eusa_shifty:
John Edwards case mistrial declared
31 May 2012 - John Edwards ran in 2008 for the Democratic White House nomination
The judge in the campaign finance trial of former US presidential candidate John Edwards has declared a mistrial amid jury deadlock on most charges. The panel in North Carolina found him not guilty on one of six charges of misuse of campaign funds, but could not agree on the other five. It is not clear if prosecutors will retry Mr Edwards on the other counts. Mr Edwards, 58, denied using donor funds to hide his mistress's pregnancy during his 2008 run for the presidency.

Speaking outside the court, Mr Edwards said he had not done anything illegal but had done an "awful, awful lot that was wrong". He described his four-year-old daughter with his mistress as "precious". The former North Carolina senator could have faced up to 30 years in jail and $1.5m (£945,000) in fines if convicted of all charges. To prove him guilty, prosecutors needed to show he knew about the money used in the cover-up, and also that he knew he was violating the law.

Courtroom chaos

The 12-member jury in Greensboro - which had been deliberating for about nine days - reached its not guilty verdict on count three, which related to illegal campaign funds from a wealthy donor, heiress Rachel "Bunny" Mellon. Mrs Mellon wrote cheques totalling $725,000 to her interior decorator, who then sent the cheques to an Edwards aide's wife to co-sign using her maiden name. Mr Edwards had denied knowledge of the money, which paid for private jets, hotels and medical care for mistress Rielle Hunter, a videographer. The Edwards defence team had indicated they would like to hear the verdict on the third count and declare a mistrial on all other counts. The judge called a five-minute recess earlier on Thursday once it was clear the jury was still undecided on most counts. "I was obviously under the impression you had reached a verdict on all six counts," Judge Catherine Eagles said.

She apologised to the jury for calling them into court, before sending them back to continue weighing the charges. Journalists scrambled to and from the courtroom amid all the confusion. Two years ago, Mr Edwards admitted fathering a child with Ms Hunter in 2007. An Edwards aide, Andrew Young, had claimed paternity of the child to help his boss. But during the trial Mr Young testified as a leading witness against Mr Edwards in a deal to shield himself from prosecution. While the cover-up of the affair was going on, Mr Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, was fighting breast cancer. She died in December 2010, having separated from her husband after he acknowledged paternity of Ms Hunter's child.

BBC News - John Edwards case mistrial declared

The human toll President Bush took in Iraq took is heartbreaking.

Not defending the asshole Edwards at all, just comparing scopes of impact.
And pointing out the partisan driven hypocrisy of the right.

What I don't get it the "tit for tat game". Why can't libs just say Edwards is a scumbucket?
Now back to this heartless soul, man oh man he was wrapping up so many people into his lies.

Kudos to those Democrats who stood their ground and derailed his campaign.

John Edwards is a scumbag.

I hope he quits public life and spends the rest of his time on earth doing charity work to make up for his scumbagness..

Wow. Not in this thread or any of my posts in it. All I've done is express my admiration for the Democrats who "did the right thing" by exposing Edwards.

It took a lot of testicular fortitude to derail this man's campaign and force him to come clean on this mess he created.

And many of them had campaigned for him for years and believed in him for years. It would not have been easy. Those Democrats really went the distance and I truly admire them for putting honor and country above politics.

Rare breed these days in the political arena. Kudos once more.

Wow. Not in this thread or any of my posts in it. All I've done is express my admiration for the Democrats who "did the right thing" by exposing Edwards.

It took a lot of testicular fortitude to derail this man's campaign and force him to come clean on this mess he created.

And many of them had campaigned for him for years and believed in him for years. It would not have been easy. Those Democrats really went the distance and I truly admire them for putting honor and country above politics.

Rare breed these days in the political arena. Kudos once more.

True! But the man whose guilt could not be proved, today, is not really a free man. He exists only in the humiliation he has caused others, for narcissists, seldom feel any guilt or regret, other than getting caught. His lifetime of becoming rich and powerful, will further no political ambitions of his. He is through and will walk in scorn, never really knowing who his friends are, or aren't.

My empathies are with his sweet-looking parents.....

Oh for Gods sake, put it in a pipe and smoke it! partisan hypocrisy my ass, stop throwing stones, your glass castle may come a tumbling down on your sorry ass.

Edwards is despicable but you rw's are SO hypocritical, it's almost funny.

Where we're you when corrupt, lying Santorum was running for prez? Whybarentbyou calling for his head as well as the heads of his cronies in the hush money/sex scandal?

Can anyone show even one example of a rw or R who has spoken against the guilty Rs who are still in office ... Bitter, Ensign, Coburn and more.

Get off you high horses

Or

Hold all to the same standard.

Oh for Gods sake, put it in a pipe and smoke it! partisan hypocrisy my ass, stop throwing stones, your glass castle may come a tumbling down on your sorry ass.

So, more than four thousand Americans dead, thousands maimed, hundreds of thousands Iraqi civilians dead or maimed, our country in the financial toilet ...

That's equal to one man screwing around, kid out of wedlock, hurting family.

Got it.

I think those who supported the preemptive invasion of Iraq caused 100,000 times as much heartbreak.

But yes Edwards is an asshole extremis.

Edwards is despicable but you rw's are SO hypocritical, it's almost funny.

Where we're you when corrupt, lying Santorum was running for prez? Whybarentbyou calling for his head as well as the heads of his cronies in the hush money/sex scandal?

Can anyone show even one example of a rw or R who has spoken against the guilty Rs who are still in office ... Bitter, Ensign, Coburn and more.

Get off you high horses

Or

Hold all to the same standard.

Where were you when Clinton was grab-assing, committing adultery and getting blow-jobs by interns?

Oh, it's his "private business," right?

Idiot.

Yeah- hold a high standard, asswipe.

I think those who supported the preemptive invasion of Iraq caused 100,000 times as much heartbreak.

But yes Edwards is an asshole extremis.

United States House of Representatives

Party Ayes Nays PRES No Vote
Republican 215 6 0 2
Democratic 82 126 0 1
Independent 0 1 0 0
TOTALS 297 133 0 3

Need the Senate votes too, asswipe?

So, more than four thousand Americans dead, thousands maimed, hundreds of thousands Iraqi civilians dead or maimed, our country in the financial toilet ...

That's equal to one man screwing around, kid out of wedlock, hurting family.

Got it.

I suggest you enlist, asswipe.
We need more cannon fodder.

Got it?

Forum List

Back