The Hubbert curve

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
The Hubbert Curve does not just apply to oil.

The Great Beyond: Shortages of scarce natural resources coming, warn chemists

Shortages of scarce natural resources coming, warn chemists - March 27, 2011

Leading chemists from around the world have warned that scarce natural resources, such as phosphate minerals mined for fertilisers, are “dwindling at an alarming rate” and shortages could hit within a generation. (See Nature’s coverage of the phosphate crisis here and here.)

Five scientific societies, including the Chinese Chemical Society, the German Chemical Society, and the UK’s Royal Society of Chemistry, warn in a report today that falling supplies of these essential elements are “a potentially more pressing concern than the decreasing supply of oil.”

“Little public awareness exists about the uncertain supplies of these key materials that we face today, and the potential future shortages. Secure, adequate supplies of these materials are essential for production of food, medicines, computers, and hundreds of other products,” adds Nancy Jackson, president of the American Chemical Society, which also contributed to the report.

The Hubbert Curve does not just apply to oil.

The Great Beyond: Shortages of scarce natural resources coming, warn chemists

Shortages of scarce natural resources coming, warn chemists - March 27, 2011

Leading chemists from around the world have warned that scarce natural resources, such as phosphate minerals mined for fertilisers, are “dwindling at an alarming rate” and shortages could hit within a generation. (See Nature’s coverage of the phosphate crisis here and here.)

Five scientific societies, including the Chinese Chemical Society, the German Chemical Society, and the UK’s Royal Society of Chemistry, warn in a report today that falling supplies of these essential elements are “a potentially more pressing concern than the decreasing supply of oil.”

“Little public awareness exists about the uncertain supplies of these key materials that we face today, and the potential future shortages. Secure, adequate supplies of these materials are essential for production of food, medicines, computers, and hundreds of other products,” adds Nancy Jackson, president of the American Chemical Society, which also contributed to the report.

The Royal Society!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

NPR cites their stuff on a daily basis...........all you need to know s0ns!!!:lol::lol: Should be called, "The Society of Global Governance"

Some people are just born suckers!!!! Dumbass thinks they exist to promote science!!!

Its not 1830 anymore:fu::fu::fu::funnyface:

:blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

I think the human race is a rather resilient and ingenious species.
We'll survive.

Resilient and ingenious with raw materials, yes. But without?

Yes I think the species will survive (unless we destroy ourselves and each other in the process), but you'll see the end of industrialization as we know it and a return to the 1700s, and certainly mass displacement and death. There are 5B+ on this planet who are only alive because of oil... I don't think anyone questions that.

We'll survive.

Yes I think the species will survive (unless we destroy ourselves and each other in the process), but you'll see the end of industrialization as we know it and a return to the 1700s, and certainly mass displacement and death. There are 5B+ on this planet who are only alive because of oil... I don't think anyone questions that.

The only long term answer is fusion power. We need to invest more in order to shorten the predicted the 40-50 year timeline before a fusion system becomes operable. For more info go to:

ITER - the way to new energy OR

Department of Energy - Fusion

We'll survive.

The only long term answer is fusion power. We need to invest more in order to shorten the predicted the 40-50 year timeline before a fusion system becomes operable. For more info go to:

ITER - the way to new energy OR

Department of Energy - Fusion

Maybe you knew it already, but I might be the biggest advocate of fusion research on this board! For sure the only long-term solution I've seen. The funding is a joke. 1/100th of what we spend defending foreign oil would bring fusion to market in 5 years. Haven't checked lately but isn't ITER like a 30-year project? Wtf?

But fusion only solves the electricity issue. Not much use for making big-ass things (trucks, barges) go, until battery or fuel-cell technology catches up.

The problem here is there are ways of making up for the lack of the rare materials. However, it will take some investment in research in ways of obtaining them from new sources, and replacing them with differant and more common materials. Yet materials research is one of the very areas that are being cut as we post.

The problem here is there are ways of making up for the lack of the rare materials. However, it will take some investment in research in ways of obtaining them from new sources, and replacing them with differant and more common materials. Yet materials research is one of the very areas that are being cut as we post.

Well those Democrat scientists better haul ass. We don't have forvever.

Surely someone has figured out that the human race isn't going to last forever.

We'll survive.

Whale oil used to be the bee's knee's. It started getting scarce so some dimwit figured you could use petroleum and get even better light from it, when we run out of oil (if we ever do) some other bright person will come up with a alternative. Who knows, maybe that bright person is allready working on something way better than oil right at this moment and it will revolutionize the world even before we run out...that's how the world works.

Well, I don't think that Homo Sap will be part of the current sixth great extinction event, but the herd will almost certainly be thinned out.

Well, I don't think that Homo Sap will be part of the current sixth great extinction event, but the herd will almost certainly be thinned out.

The herd allways gets thinned out whether it is from war, pestilence or natural disaster. That's life and more importantly Nature. Anyone who thinks they can defy Nature for any length of time is just being silly.

The herd??!!!!!! :eek::eek::booze::booze::booze::booze:

NOBODY

CARES

s0n!!!!!!

That's for sure, I often wonder how the loons can even attempt to make the claim we're in a 6th extinction event when 18,000 species were classified in the last couple of years.

Seems to me that if the world were truly dying off there would be some evidence of it, instead the evidence points in the opposite direction.

Forum List

Back