The Horror...The Horror...

What words do you think those would be, other than the whole book?

Please post your favorite Bible posts that are "meaningless to children".

Of course,the same excuse is used by some folks as a reason not to study Shakespeare.

yeah, nothing's more important than getting your 7 yo to read henry iv, part 1

:cuckoo:

From the time I was an infant until I was 8 years old, I spent most of my time with my Grandma and Grandpa. They were very devout, and insisted on devotions twice a day, morning and night, which included reading one chapter of the Bible and then praying (on your knees, one at a time). My grandmother would never have dreamed of reading anything but the King James version. By the time I was eight, I was doing most of the reading, and was perfectly capable of pronouncing all the words. I also knew the definitions, having been through the entire Bible several times and having asked what they meant the first couple of times around.

For the record, I also read my first Shakespeare play - with help - at the age of nine.

God forbid anyone watch TV or read with their kids and let them ask questions. Little ankle-biters might get educated, and then they wouldn't buy liberal lies so easily. Can't have that.

Oh, and for the record, I could recite the entire second chapter of Luke from memory well before I was eight. King James, naturally.

I was watching some Christmas oriented movie on TCM the other night that was made in the '30s. It featured several Christmas carols that included Christ, God, and whatnot, and I thought at the time how much the Hollyweird crowd has changed - negatively - since those days.

Friggin' liberal idiots.

Why do you think that is? (serious question)

Serious answer to the question for our times!

The Enlightenment.
The French Revolution...the idea that science, and the mind of man would usher in a godless era of goodness. Of course, it gave us the Nazis, and the Russian Revolution...
Everything had to be changes...and religion was the first to go.

This is interesting:
From the novel “Napoleon’ Pyramids,” by William Dietrich

"April 13, 1798, was a Friday. But it was springtime in revolutionary Paris, meaning that under the Directory’s new calendar it was the twenty-forth day of the month of Germinal in the Year Six, and the next day of rest was still six days distant, not two.
Has any reform been more futile? The Government’s arrogant discard of Christianity means that weeks have been extended to ten days instead of seven.

The revision’s intent is to supplant the papal calendar with a uniform alternative of twelve months of thirty days each, based on the system of ancient Egypt. Bibles themselves were torn up to make paper gun cartridges in the grim days of 1793, and now the biblical week has been guillotined, each month instead divided into three decades of ten days, with the year, with the year beginning at the autumn equinox and five to six holidays added to balance idealism with our solar orbit. Not content with regimenting the calendar, the government has introduced a new metric system for weight and measure.

There are even proposals for a new clock of precisely 100,000 seconds each day. Reason, reason!...The new calendar is the kind of logical idea imposed by clever people that completely ignores habit, emotion, and human nature and thus forecasts the Revolution’s doom."

Every day, on this board we see the posts scorning religion, and raising what is considered to be science or reason to the elevated position.

Not nearly as controversial as today

Many TV shows and movies had Christian themes back then. Charlie Brown was unique in that the other kids treated him like crap. By the 70s, Charlie Brown had transformed from a loser to good ole Charlie Brown

Schultz sold out

1. December 9, 1965,...CBS TV officials shook in their shoes as "A Charlie Brown Christmas" aired.

2. Charles Schulz had some ideas that challenged the way of thinking of those executives 46 years ago, and one of them had to do with the inclusion in his Christmas cartoon of a reading from the King James Bible’s version of the Gospel of Luke.

3. As far back as 1965 — just a few years before Time magazine asked “Is God Dead?” — CBS executives thought a Bible reading might turn off a nation populated with Christians. And during a Christmas special, no less! Ah, the perils of living on an island in the northeast called Manhattan.

4. Schulz had some ideas of his own for the Christmas special, ideas that didn’t make the network suits very happy. First and foremost, there was no laugh track, something unimaginable in that era of television. Schulz thought that the audience should be able to enjoy the show at its own pace, without being cued when to laugh....The network executives were not happy that the Schulz’s team had chosen to use children to do the voice acting, rather than employing adults.

5. Last but not least, the executives did not want to have Linus reciting the story of the birth of Christ from the Gospel of Luke....“They were freaking out about something so overtly religious in a Christmas special,” explained Melendez.

6. Melendez himself was somewhat hesitant about the reading from Luke. “I was leery of the religion that came into it, and I was right away opposed to it. But Sparky just assumed what he had to say was important to somebody.”Which is why Charles Schulz was Charles Schulz. He knew that the Luke reading by Linus was the heart and soul of the story.

7. As Charlie Brown sinks into a state of despair trying to find the true meaning of Christmas, Linus quietly saves the day. He walks to the center of the stage where the Peanuts characters have gathered, and under a narrow spotlight, quotes the second chapter of the Gospel According to Luke, verses 8 through 14...“ . . . And that’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown,” Linus concluded.

8. When CBS executives saw the final product, they were horrified. They believed the special would be a complete flop. CBS programmers were equally pessimistic, informing the production team, “We will, of course, air it next week, but I’m afraid we won’t be ordering any more.”

9. To the surprise of the executives, 50 percent of the televisions in the United States tuned in to the first broadcast. The cartoon was a critical and commercial hit; it won an Emmy and a Peabody award.

10. Linus’s recitation was hailed by critic Harriet Van Horne of the New York World-Telegram, who wrote, “Linus’ reading of the story of the Nativity was, quite simply, the dramatic highlight of the season
The Gospel According to Peanuts - Lee Habeeb - National Review Online

Is any more proof necessary that there is a segment of the media that abhors religion in any form, and is willing to sacrifice success to erase it from the public arena?

Merry Christmas to all.

Christmas 1965. I was four years old and sick (as usual, as I was a very sickly child with asthma).

I remember watching the very first broadcast of "A Charlie Brown Christmas." I was quite inspired.

I loved it so much, and it made it seem more like Christmas to me.

Along with "The Little Drummer Boy," "A Charlie Brown Christmas" remains my favorite Christmas Specials.

I was watching some Christmas oriented movie on TCM the other night that was made in the '30s. It featured several Christmas carols that included Christ, God, and whatnot, and I thought at the time how much the Hollyweird crowd has changed - negatively - since those days.

Friggin' liberal idiots.

The Enlightenment.
The French Revolution...the idea that science, and the mind of man would usher in a godless era of goodness. Of course, it gave us the Nazis, and the Russian Revolution...

This is interesting:

"April 13, 1798, was a Friday. But it was springtime in revolutionary Paris, meaning that under the Directory’s new calendar it was the twenty-forth day of the month of Germinal in the Year Six, and the next day of rest was still six days distant, not two.
Has any reform been more futile? The Government’s arrogant discard of Christianity means that weeks have been extended to ten days instead of seven.

The revision’s intent is to supplant the papal calendar with a uniform alternative of twelve months of thirty days each, based on the system of ancient Egypt. Bibles themselves were torn up to make paper gun cartridges in the grim days of 1793, and now the biblical week has been guillotined, each month instead divided into three decades of ten days, with the year, with the year beginning at the autumn equinox and five to six holidays added to balance idealism with our solar orbit. Not content with regimenting the calendar, the government has introduced a new metric system for weight and measure.

There are even proposals for a new clock of precisely 100,000 seconds each day. Reason, reason!...The new calendar is the kind of logical idea imposed by clever people that completely ignores habit, emotion, and human nature and thus forecasts the Revolution’s doom."

Every day, on this board we see the posts scorning religion, and raising what is considered to be science or reason to the elevated position.

I need to find some data pertaining to the decline of Christianity....in Hollywood, or TV in general.

Who was behind this decline? Which organizations were involved? Who founded these organizations? Who funded these organizations?

I'm guessing that ACLU will eventually come up, and perhaps American Atheists...oh the list will go on and on.

Who started these organizations? What were their motives? It's disturbing what one will find.

In all likelihood, CBS was uncomfortable with the version of the bible being quoted. The King James Version is full of words that would be meaningless to children.

But lets have a meltdown over it 50 years later.

Excuse me, but I got a dollar from my grandpa when I was seven (1968). I used it to buy my first Bible, because there was a commericial on tv where a furniture store was selling them for one dollar.

(I don't remember the Furniture Store's name, but I remembered it featured Babe the Blue Ox and we all got to see the Ox when we went to the store. They actually had a pen behind the store where they kept the ox! Beautiful thing! Poor thing looked bored as hell, though, being kept in that pen. This was Tulsa Ok in the 60s. Great days! :D)

I not only understood it, that's the version I read my children.

Funny, but my youngest was just rated as having a reading level of first year college recently (and she's only 14).

The Bible, she reads (on her own) is King James.

Can't have anything to do with it, right??????

:eusa_angel:

a very outdated christmas show.

can not hold up to the even older "Its a wonderfull life".

Look out, George Bailey prays to God several times in that show. And there's a prayer to Jesus in the first part of the movie.

You better not watch it again, you might call it "outdated." :eusa_shifty:

Of course,the same excuse is used by some folks as a reason not to study Shakespeare.

I did a book report on Macbeth when I was in third grade.

I've always loved Shakespeare.

The best depiction of Christmas....

A Christmas Story

The Enlightenment.

This is interesting:

I need to find some data pertaining to the decline of Christianity....in Hollywood, or TV in general.

Who was behind this decline? Which organizations were involved? Who founded these organizations? Who funded these organizations?

I'm guessing that ACLU will eventually come up, and perhaps American Atheists...oh the list will go on and on.

Who started these organizations? What were their motives? It's disturbing what one will find.

Perhaps not re:the decline of Christianity....in Hollywood, or TV, but Ben Shapiro's "Primetime Propaganda" documents a great deal of it.

From Amazon: Primetime Propaganda is the story—told in their own words—of how television has been used over the past sixty years by Hollywood writers, producers, actors, and executives to promote their liberal ideals, to push the envelope on social and political issues, and to shape America in their own leftist image.

Now that I think of it, you might find more answers in "Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault on Mind, Morals, and Meaning" [Hardcover]
by Nancy Pearcey
From Amazon:
Pearcey depicts the revolutionary thinkers and artists, the ideas and events, leading step by step to the unleashing of secular worldviews that undermine human dignity and liberty. She crafts a fresh approach that exposes the real-world impact of ideas in philosophy, science, art, literature, and film--voices that surround us in the classroom, in the movie theater, and in our living rooms.

A former agnostic, Pearcey offers a persuasive case for historic Christianity as a holistic and humane alternative. She equips readers to counter the life-denying worldviews that are radically restructuring society and pervading our daily lives. Whether you are a devoted Christian, determined secularist, or don't know quite where you stand, reading Saving Leonardo will unsettle established views and topple ideological idols. Includes more than 100 art reproductions and illustrations that bring the book's themes to life.

God forbid anyone expand their minds and vocabularies, rather than having the whole world dumbed down for them.

My three-year-old finds most of the words I use meaningless. Should I stop talking to him, other than the words he already knows? Or should I maybe continue talking to him, using my whole vocabulary, so that he learns new things? Hmmmm.

Liberals are the stupidest people.

Back in the "bad old days" of bussing:

The High School was integrated, my elementary school was not. It was all white.

So, to keep the courts happy, the school hired this one black teacher. Mrs. Van. Never forget her.

We all LOVED her. And though she was a Math Teacher, she had a great vocabulary. The other teachers would talk down to us. She would not.

The other teachers said, "cuss words."

She said, "Profanity."

And if WE didn't know what it meant, we better LOOK IT UP!

She was always challenging us, not only in math, but vocabulary.

I think my love of reading and vocabulary came from her.

I wish all teachers were like her.

I have to share this. It's wishful thinking, but it was the best Thanksgiving I recall, in recent memory.
My father is apparently not getting on well with his wife. He felt that my sister and I wanted nothing to do with him. It was bad enough that he had a co-worker call my sister. She assured him that this was NOT the case.

Long story short, I got to spend Thanksgiving with my mother and my father, for the first time since 1986, last month. We also MAY get to spend Christmas together.

It has made me feel closer to God than I have in years. Holidays have new meaning. I'm lucky to have 2 living parents who love me, and I love. It really hit home just how damaging divorce is to the children. Christmas has had little meaning to me every Christmas, since 1987.

1 Corinthians-13:13 So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
(New American Catholic Translation)

Last edited:

well, in NYC public school, circa 1965 they took us to see Shaws- Caesar and Cleopatra in downtown NYC...its where I acquired my curiosity for ancient history. *shrugs*

I hate to ruin you day, Traj, but did you see this:

1. Washington – Michael Eric Dyson parses Jay-Z's lyrics as if analyzing fine literature. The rapper's riffs on luxury cars and tailored clothes and boasts of being the "Mike Jordan of recording" may make for catchy rhymes, but to Dyson, they also reflect incisive social commentary.
Dyson, a professor, author, radio host and television personality, has offered at Georgetown University this semester a popular -- if unusual -- class dedicated to Jay-Z and his career. The course, "Sociology of Hip Hop: Jay-Z," may seem an unlikely offering at a Jesuit, majority-white school that counts former President Bill Clinton among its alumni. But Dyson insists that his class confronts topics present in any sociology course: racial and gender identity, sexuality, capitalism and economic inequality.
In an opinion piece published in the student newspaper, The Hoya, junior Stephen Wu dismissed as "poppycock" Dyson's belief that Jay-Z could be compared to Homer or Shakespeare.
"It speaks volumes that we engage in the beat of Carter's pseudo-music while we scrounge to find serious academic offerings on Beethoven and Liszt. We dissect the lyrics of "Big Pimpin'," but we don't read Spenser or Sophocles closely," Wu wrote.

Georgetown University Offers College Course On Jay-Z | Fox News

Read more: Georgetown University Offers College Course On Jay-Z | Fox News

and this:

2. For many parents, hearing that their child has discovered clubbing and alcohol at college is a terrifying prospect.
But now their kids have the perfect excuse: it's for credit.
Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut is offering a course in 'nightlife culture' as part of its American Studies programme.
It also takes the students on ‘field trips’ to New York City’s nightlife hot spots, including Le Bain and the Boom Boom Room.
'It's about the history of it, the Harlem cabarets, understanding race, gender, sex, Prohibition and the law.
Classes at the 310-year-old Ivy League institution are set to raise eyebrows – and parents’ blood pressures.

Read more: Yale University offers new course in CLUBBING | Mail Online

Looks like we'll be running out of hand-baskets....

mark me not surprised as I know of "Mr." Dyson. he and that other phony West can share the same cell in hell.

1. December 9, 1965,...CBS TV officials shook in their shoes as "A Charlie Brown Christmas" aired.

2. Charles Schulz had some ideas that challenged the way of thinking of those executives 46 years ago, and one of them had to do with the inclusion in his Christmas cartoon of a reading from the King James Bible’s version of the Gospel of Luke.

3. As far back as 1965 — just a few years before Time magazine asked “Is God Dead?” — CBS executives thought a Bible reading might turn off a nation populated with Christians. And during a Christmas special, no less! Ah, the perils of living on an island in the northeast called Manhattan.

4. Schulz had some ideas of his own for the Christmas special, ideas that didn’t make the network suits very happy. First and foremost, there was no laugh track, something unimaginable in that era of television. Schulz thought that the audience should be able to enjoy the show at its own pace, without being cued when to laugh....The network executives were not happy that the Schulz’s team had chosen to use children to do the voice acting, rather than employing adults.

5. Last but not least, the executives did not want to have Linus reciting the story of the birth of Christ from the Gospel of Luke....“They were freaking out about something so overtly religious in a Christmas special,” explained Melendez.

6. Melendez himself was somewhat hesitant about the reading from Luke. “I was leery of the religion that came into it, and I was right away opposed to it. But Sparky just assumed what he had to say was important to somebody.”Which is why Charles Schulz was Charles Schulz. He knew that the Luke reading by Linus was the heart and soul of the story.

7. As Charlie Brown sinks into a state of despair trying to find the true meaning of Christmas, Linus quietly saves the day. He walks to the center of the stage where the Peanuts characters have gathered, and under a narrow spotlight, quotes the second chapter of the Gospel According to Luke, verses 8 through 14...“ . . . And that’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown,” Linus concluded.

8. When CBS executives saw the final product, they were horrified. They believed the special would be a complete flop. CBS programmers were equally pessimistic, informing the production team, “We will, of course, air it next week, but I’m afraid we won’t be ordering any more.”

9. To the surprise of the executives, 50 percent of the televisions in the United States tuned in to the first broadcast. The cartoon was a critical and commercial hit; it won an Emmy and a Peabody award.

10. Linus’s recitation was hailed by critic Harriet Van Horne of the New York World-Telegram, who wrote, “Linus’ reading of the story of the Nativity was, quite simply, the dramatic highlight of the season
The Gospel According to Peanuts - Lee Habeeb - National Review Online

Is any more proof necessary that there is a segment of the media that abhors religion in any form, and is willing to sacrifice success to erase it from the public arena?

Merry Christmas to all.
Lovely story about a story, PoliticalChic. Thanks.

The Enlightenment.

This is interesting:

this is easy, it started right after the democratic 1968 defeat, then gained steam with the McGovern Commission, then the McGovern reforms. The democratic party decided that every special interest, wedge issue appealing to anyone with enough money and a few votes to get their attention would be part of their platform. Specials interests means in the end, special handling and tearing down of anything smacking of conformity or tradition or what they would probably term old school.

In steps over the decades, they have gone from demands for "equality" as necessary as they may be to the inevitable, demands for more than they are entitled at the expense of the majority based on misplaced and dishonest guilt. As an example- take feminism, there is Equity feminism and then that morphed into, gender feminism.

They have been shedding their skin for decades and Obama will wrap that up completely before he goes. They are great at destroying but don't build much.

Last edited:

The Enlightenment.

This is interesting:

this is easy, it started right after the democratic 1968 defeat, then gained steam with the McGovern Commission, then the McGovern reforms. The democratic party decided that every special interest, wedge issue appealing to anyone with enough money and a few votes to get their attention would be part of their platform. Specials interests means in the end, special handling and tearing down of anything smacking of conformity or tradition or what they would probably term old school.

In steps over the decades, they have gone from demands for "equality" as necessary as they may be to the inevitable, demands for more than they are entitled at the expense of the majority based on misplaced and dishonest guilt. As an example- take feminism, there is Equity feminism and then that morphed into, gender feminism.

They have been shedding their skin for decades and Obama will wrap that up completely before he goes. They are great at destroying but don't build much.

It may come as a surprise to some that it was Obama-lite, Jimmy Carter who brought the Evangelicals into the political fray.

"This article will extend the current re-evaluation of the Carter presidency through a detailed examination of the enduring impact of his evangelical Christian faith upon modern American political discourse. Carter successfully reawakened faith-based politics but, because his faith did not exactly mirror the religious and political agenda of the disparate groups that make up the religious conservative movement within the United States, that newly awakened force within American politics ultimately used its power to replace him with Ronald Reagan, a president who more carefully articulated their agenda. As this article will show, the key issue that marked the intrusion of highly contentious religious-cultural issues into the political debate was abortion. This issue was emblematic of both the engagement of religious conservatives in political life in this period and of the limitations of Carter as their authentic political agent."
Jimmy Carter: The Re-emergence of Faith-Based Politics and the Abortion Rights Issue - FLINT - 2005 - Presidential Studies Quarterly - Wiley Online Library

Forum List

Back