The Horror...The Horror...

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. December 9, 1965,...CBS TV officials shook in their shoes as "A Charlie Brown Christmas" aired.

2. Charles Schulz had some ideas that challenged the way of thinking of those executives 46 years ago, and one of them had to do with the inclusion in his Christmas cartoon of a reading from the King James Bible’s version of the Gospel of Luke.

3. As far back as 1965 — just a few years before Time magazine asked “Is God Dead?” — CBS executives thought a Bible reading might turn off a nation populated with Christians. And during a Christmas special, no less! Ah, the perils of living on an island in the northeast called Manhattan.

4. Schulz had some ideas of his own for the Christmas special, ideas that didn’t make the network suits very happy. First and foremost, there was no laugh track, something unimaginable in that era of television. Schulz thought that the audience should be able to enjoy the show at its own pace, without being cued when to laugh....The network executives were not happy that the Schulz’s team had chosen to use children to do the voice acting, rather than employing adults.

5. Last but not least, the executives did not want to have Linus reciting the story of the birth of Christ from the Gospel of Luke....“They were freaking out about something so overtly religious in a Christmas special,” explained Melendez.

6. Melendez himself was somewhat hesitant about the reading from Luke. “I was leery of the religion that came into it, and I was right away opposed to it. But Sparky just assumed what he had to say was important to somebody.”Which is why Charles Schulz was Charles Schulz. He knew that the Luke reading by Linus was the heart and soul of the story.

7. As Charlie Brown sinks into a state of despair trying to find the true meaning of Christmas, Linus quietly saves the day. He walks to the center of the stage where the Peanuts characters have gathered, and under a narrow spotlight, quotes the second chapter of the Gospel According to Luke, verses 8 through 14...“ . . . And that’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown,” Linus concluded.

8. When CBS executives saw the final product, they were horrified. They believed the special would be a complete flop. CBS programmers were equally pessimistic, informing the production team, “We will, of course, air it next week, but I’m afraid we won’t be ordering any more.”

9. To the surprise of the executives, 50 percent of the televisions in the United States tuned in to the first broadcast. The cartoon was a critical and commercial hit; it won an Emmy and a Peabody award.

10. Linus’s recitation was hailed by critic Harriet Van Horne of the New York World-Telegram, who wrote, “Linus’ reading of the story of the Nativity was, quite simply, the dramatic highlight of the season
The Gospel According to Peanuts - Lee Habeeb - National Review Online

Is any more proof necessary that there is a segment of the media that abhors religion in any form, and is willing to sacrifice success to erase it from the public arena?

Merry Christmas to all.

I was watching some Christmas oriented movie on TCM the other night that was made in the '30s. It featured several Christmas carols that included Christ, God, and whatnot, and I thought at the time how much the Hollyweird crowd has changed - negatively - since those days.

Friggin' liberal idiots.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKkaydihNTM&feature=related"]Peanuts Theme Song - YouTube[/ame]

A little more "edgy" version from Gary Hoey:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqwvBHiLeF4&feature=related"]Linus and Lucy (Peanuts Theme) - Gary Hoey - YouTube[/ame]

I was watching some Christmas oriented movie on TCM the other night that was made in the '30s. It featured several Christmas carols that included Christ, God, and whatnot, and I thought at the time how much the Hollyweird crowd has changed - negatively - since those days.

Friggin' liberal idiots.

You are so right, blastoff!

This, from Breitbart and Ebner, "Hollywood Interrupted"(p. 18):

"Hollywood, run and inhabited by Baby Boomers and their Generation X progeny, is on a mission to obliterate the ideal of the nuclear family and to undermine traditional child-rearing practices. The entertainment landscape is littered with high-end product that demeans the family unit, and in their own lives, celebrities fail to set a good example. Shamefully, they are rewarded for rejecting middle-class American mores.

Entertainment executives may argue that they are giving the public what they want when they find new and nastier ways to expand trash TV into the familial realm, but the same cynical, exploitative, anti-family strain is also evident in critically praised films and pay-cable series."

No doubt, some of our less perceptive friends will see this as 'whining.'

In all likelihood, CBS was uncomfortable with the version of the bible being quoted. The King James Version is full of words that would be meaningless to children.

But lets have a meltdown over it 50 years later.

In all likelihood, CBS was uncomfortable with the version of the bible being quoted. The King James Version is full of words that would be meaningless to children.

But lets have a meltdown over it 50 years later.

There was no whining...merely spotlighting the anti-religious views of those who disseminate information...even entertainment.

Well...if you thought that was whining...what do you think about this:

"The utopian’s other great hatred is for middle-class or “bourgeois” culture. Monogamy, monotheism, self-control, prudence, cleanliness, fortitude, self-interested labor​—​these are the utopian’s enemies. “Morality teaches man to be at war with himself,” Fourier wrote, “to resist his passions, to repress them, to believe that God was incapable of organizing our souls, our passions wisely.” What were called the bourgeois virtues had been designed to maintain unjust social relations and stop man from being true to himself. Thus, to recover one’s natural state, one “must undertake a vast operation of ‘desanctification,’ beginning with the so-called morality of the bourgeoisie,” wrote the twentieth-century utopian Daniel Guérin. “The moral prejudices inculcated by Christianity have an especially strong hold on the masses of the people.”
Anarchy in the U.S.A. | The Weekly Standard

What words do you think those would be, other than the whole book?

Please post your favorite Bible posts that are "meaningless to children".

Of course,the same excuse is used by some folks as a reason not to study Shakespeare.

1. December 9, 1965,...CBS TV officials shook in their shoes as "A Charlie Brown Christmas" aired.

2. Charles Schulz had some ideas that challenged the way of thinking of those executives 46 years ago, and one of them had to do with the inclusion in his Christmas cartoon of a reading from the King James Bible’s version of the Gospel of Luke.

3. As far back as 1965 — just a few years before Time magazine asked “Is God Dead?” — CBS executives thought a Bible reading might turn off a nation populated with Christians. And during a Christmas special, no less! Ah, the perils of living on an island in the northeast called Manhattan.

4. Schulz had some ideas of his own for the Christmas special, ideas that didn’t make the network suits very happy. First and foremost, there was no laugh track, something unimaginable in that era of television. Schulz thought that the audience should be able to enjoy the show at its own pace, without being cued when to laugh....The network executives were not happy that the Schulz’s team had chosen to use children to do the voice acting, rather than employing adults.

5. Last but not least, the executives did not want to have Linus reciting the story of the birth of Christ from the Gospel of Luke....“They were freaking out about something so overtly religious in a Christmas special,” explained Melendez.

6. Melendez himself was somewhat hesitant about the reading from Luke. “I was leery of the religion that came into it, and I was right away opposed to it. But Sparky just assumed what he had to say was important to somebody.”Which is why Charles Schulz was Charles Schulz. He knew that the Luke reading by Linus was the heart and soul of the story.

7. As Charlie Brown sinks into a state of despair trying to find the true meaning of Christmas, Linus quietly saves the day. He walks to the center of the stage where the Peanuts characters have gathered, and under a narrow spotlight, quotes the second chapter of the Gospel According to Luke, verses 8 through 14...“ . . . And that’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown,” Linus concluded.

8. When CBS executives saw the final product, they were horrified. They believed the special would be a complete flop. CBS programmers were equally pessimistic, informing the production team, “We will, of course, air it next week, but I’m afraid we won’t be ordering any more.”

9. To the surprise of the executives, 50 percent of the televisions in the United States tuned in to the first broadcast. The cartoon was a critical and commercial hit; it won an Emmy and a Peabody award.

10. Linus’s recitation was hailed by critic Harriet Van Horne of the New York World-Telegram, who wrote, “Linus’ reading of the story of the Nativity was, quite simply, the dramatic highlight of the season
The Gospel According to Peanuts - Lee Habeeb - National Review Online

Is any more proof necessary that there is a segment of the media that abhors religion in any form, and is willing to sacrifice success to erase it from the public arena?

Merry Christmas to all.

It's one of the best; if you're a Christian, or interested in Christianity. When mother and father were still married, that was tradition. We would read from Luke every Christmas Eve before we would eat dinner.

No one should be afraid to say, Merry Christmas. Christians comprise the majority of the United States population. We support other religions to celebrate their holy days, and we should be allowed to do the same without worrying about offending anyone.

For those who take the time to celebrate Christmas for what most Christians believe is the meaning, it is very special to us, indeed.

a very outdated christmas show.

can not hold up to the even older "Its a wonderfull life".

Of course,the same excuse is used by some folks as a reason not to study Shakespeare.

yeah, nothing's more important than getting your 7 yo to read henry iv, part 1

:cuckoo:

well, in NYC public school, circa 1965 they took us to see Shaws- Caesar and Cleopatra in downtown NYC...its where I acquired my curiosity for ancient history. *shrugs*

well, in NYC public school, circa 1965 they took us to see Shaws- Caesar and Cleopatra in downtown NYC...its where I acquired my curiosity for ancient history. *shrugs*

I hate to ruin you day, Traj, but did you see this:

1. Washington – Michael Eric Dyson parses Jay-Z's lyrics as if analyzing fine literature. The rapper's riffs on luxury cars and tailored clothes and boasts of being the "Mike Jordan of recording" may make for catchy rhymes, but to Dyson, they also reflect incisive social commentary.
Dyson, a professor, author, radio host and television personality, has offered at Georgetown University this semester a popular -- if unusual -- class dedicated to Jay-Z and his career. The course, "Sociology of Hip Hop: Jay-Z," may seem an unlikely offering at a Jesuit, majority-white school that counts former President Bill Clinton among its alumni. But Dyson insists that his class confronts topics present in any sociology course: racial and gender identity, sexuality, capitalism and economic inequality.
In an opinion piece published in the student newspaper, The Hoya, junior Stephen Wu dismissed as "poppycock" Dyson's belief that Jay-Z could be compared to Homer or Shakespeare.
"It speaks volumes that we engage in the beat of Carter's pseudo-music while we scrounge to find serious academic offerings on Beethoven and Liszt. We dissect the lyrics of "Big Pimpin'," but we don't read Spenser or Sophocles closely," Wu wrote.

Georgetown University Offers College Course On Jay-Z | Fox News

Read more: Georgetown University Offers College Course On Jay-Z | Fox News

and this:

2. For many parents, hearing that their child has discovered clubbing and alcohol at college is a terrifying prospect.
But now their kids have the perfect excuse: it's for credit.
Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut is offering a course in 'nightlife culture' as part of its American Studies programme.
It also takes the students on ‘field trips’ to New York City’s nightlife hot spots, including Le Bain and the Boom Boom Room.
'It's about the history of it, the Harlem cabarets, understanding race, gender, sex, Prohibition and the law.
Classes at the 310-year-old Ivy League institution are set to raise eyebrows – and parents’ blood pressures.

Read more: Yale University offers new course in CLUBBING | Mail Online

Looks like we'll be running out of hand-baskets....

God forbid anyone expand their minds and vocabularies, rather than having the whole world dumbed down for them.

My three-year-old finds most of the words I use meaningless. Should I stop talking to him, other than the words he already knows? Or should I maybe continue talking to him, using my whole vocabulary, so that he learns new things? Hmmmm.

Liberals are the stupidest people.

Stop making me laugh when I shouldn't...dammit man.
KJV isn't my favorite translation, or the one that I use....but those specific verses are beautifully worded.

Forum List

Back