The homeless guy with the golden radio voice

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
A cool story. I'd live on the street and take drugs for two years to get pipes like his.

Homeless man Ted Williams, who has 'golden' radio voice, gets second chance - NYPOST.com

"The Cleveland Cavaliers just offered me a full-time job and a house! A house! A house!," repeated a stunned Williams, 53, on local radio station WNCI.

A caller to the show who said she represented the Cavs offered Williams, who shot to stardom after local newspaper the Columbus Dispatch on Monday posted video of his perfectly-pitched panhandling, a full-time job doing voiceover work for the team and parent company and a free home in Cleveland.

The Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, native trained to be a radio announcer before drugs and alcohol ruined his chances at a career, and he was reduced to begging on the side of a road in Columbus, Ohio, before the newspaper found him.

Local police would refer to Williams as "Radio man," when chasing him from his usual begging spots, Williams said.

"I've been out there about a year; I just didn't know anything like this would ever happen," an overwhelmed Williams said earlier in the show. "There's so many words. I've already been characterized to [Scottish singing sensation] Susan Boyle ... I'm just so happy."

Before the Cavs made their bid, the station said a group of credit unions offered Williams a contract worth up to $10,000; a caller claiming to rep MTV expressed interest in having him guest-announce a show; and callers who said they were the voiceover actors behind plugs for "The Simpsons" and "Entertainment Tonight" said they wanted him to compete on their upcoming "America's Next Voice" -- where the prize includes a home studio.

Read more: Homeless man Ted Williams, who has 'golden' radio voice, gets second chance - NYPOST.com

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTysXITBCmk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

He says he's been clean for 2 years. I hope he gets some work and everything works out for him. He does have that golden radio voice.

Awww, what a great story, a friend was telling me about this just this morning.

He has a great radio voice. Good for him :thup:

Forum List

Back