The Holiest Man, In The Holiest Spot, At The Holiest Time, Condemns Violence

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
The haj sermon this year – one of the highlights of the three-day pilgrimage that millions of Muslims make to Mecca every year – has received special attention in the media all over the Muslim world. Excerpts from the sermon, which condemns terrorism and extremism and advocates moderation, have been reproduced in hundreds of newspapers. Videos of the sermon with English subtitles are circulating widely by email and have been posted on websites like YouTube. It seems that the Muslim world has embraced the message enthusiastically.

The haj is a transformative experience for most Muslims. The African American civil rights leader Malcolm X abandoned his anti-white views after participating in the haj and had a huge impact on Muslim youth throughout the United States.

This year the haj sermon was given by the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh.

He spoke about the consequences when human security is absent: the suffering of women and children, chaos and an absence of peace and prosperity. Islam is a religion of mercy and moderation. Spreading violence, hatred and extremism, Sheikh Abdul Aziz said, is against the ethics of Islam. Islam’s goal is to spread peace and security in all its forms, and he called on Muslim communities to uphold the ethics and teachings of Islam.

altmuslim - The haj: From Mecca, a promising speech

This is an invitation to open your mind, and take in that Islam is not coextensive with violence. Not an invitation to bash Muslim Americans.

Discuss.

It's a good thing it wasn't a scratch&sniff video from the Hadj.

So where did they bury the Grand Mufti's various body parts?

Yeah, well, Said also said to turn your cheek. He also attacked people with a whip.

Plenty of his followers ignore the first part.

I expect this to have the same effect (read: none)

Why bash Islam? It does a damn good job bashing each other with rocks, blowing each other up, beheading one another and otherwise raising hell on earth. Why would any one doubt the words of a Muslim holy man preaching peace? My question would be, why would anyone in their right mind try to defend that madness? In the case of Islam, mistrust and hate may be well earned. It’s not just blind bigotry. You know that homosexuality is punishable by death in Islam, Madeline? Given your thread “we are all GAY”, perhaps you might relate to the rest of us that hold Islam in suspicion. How can we tell a good Muslim from a bad one? What litmus test do we have?

• Banned
Why bash Islam? It does a damn good job bashing each other with rocks, blowing each other up, beheading one another and otherwise raising hell on earth. Why would any one doubt the words of a Muslim holy man preaching peace? My question would be, why would anyone in their right mind try to defend that madness? In the case of Islam, mistrust and hate may be well earned. It’s not just blind bigotry. You know that homosexuality is punishable by death in Islam, Madeline? Given your thread “we are all GAY”, perhaps you might relate to the rest of us that hold Islam in suspicion. How can we tell a good Muslim from a bad one? What litmus test do we have?

I'm not wild about each and every one of Islam's tenets and do not plan to convert. But I am concerned about the safety and dignity of my fellow Americans who are Muslim, and their rights to worship as they choose. I disapprove of the hajib (headscarf) and a woman in a burka would make me very uncomfy.

But this is America, and people should be free to worship as they choose if they aren't breaking the law. Such things as the lawsuit in Tennessee which seeks to prevent the local Muslim community from building a mosque by claiming Islam is not a religion are an embarrassment to me and should be to all freedom-loving Americans.

And not for nothing, but it takes guts to stand up to extremists and condemn violence. I thought it was worth applauding.

The haj sermon this year – one of the highlights of the three-day pilgrimage that millions of Muslims make to Mecca every year – has received special attention in the media all over the Muslim world. Excerpts from the sermon, which condemns terrorism and extremism and advocates moderation, have been reproduced in hundreds of newspapers. Videos of the sermon with English subtitles are circulating widely by email and have been posted on websites like YouTube. It seems that the Muslim world has embraced the message enthusiastically.

The haj is a transformative experience for most Muslims. The African American civil rights leader Malcolm X abandoned his anti-white views after participating in the haj and had a huge impact on Muslim youth throughout the United States.

This year the haj sermon was given by the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh.

He spoke about the consequences when human security is absent: the suffering of women and children, chaos and an absence of peace and prosperity. Islam is a religion of mercy and moderation. Spreading violence, hatred and extremism, Sheikh Abdul Aziz said, is against the ethics of Islam. Islam’s goal is to spread peace and security in all its forms, and he called on Muslim communities to uphold the ethics and teachings of Islam.

This is an invitation to open your mind, and take in that Islam is not coextensive with violence. Not an invitation to bash Muslim Americans.

Discuss.

Hi Madeline,

I just had to take a peak to see who you think is the holiest man, the holiest place and the holiest time.

Imagine my surprise that you picked a Muslim.

I'd probably pick one of my Buddhist Lamas as the holiest man, places in Tibet and India and the holiest places, and for the holiest times, solar and lunar eclipses.

Last edited:

Discuss.

Hi Madeline,

I just had to take a peak to see who you think is the holiest man, the holiest place and the holiest time.

Imagine my surprise that you picked a Muslim.

I'd probably pick one of my Buddhist Lamas as the holiest man, places in Tibet and India and the holiest places, and for the holiest times, solar and lunar eclipses.

He isn't a holy man to me, Sky Dancer, but I am not Muslim. Doubtless he'd be impressive......but holy?

No, not really.

Heroic, though....that I'd agree to.

I'm a little bit suspicious of any religion that doesn't allow bacon.

does this mean you will be going to stromfront....jews dont eat the pork either.....sometimes i am amazed at the similarties in jews and muslims
During the time of Muhammad there were arab tribes that were Jewish.

Muhammad had friends and business associates that were arab jews.

And one of his wives was a Jewish woman. :cool:

does this mean you will be going to stromfront....jews dont eat the pork either.....sometimes i am amazed at the similarties in jews and muslims
During the time of Muhammad there were arab tribes that were Jewish.

Muhammad had friends and business associates that were arab jews.

And one of his wives was a Jewish woman. :cool:

Umm the Jews are from semetic roots. Semites are Arabic people by definition.

Oh dear. Of course there are similarities. Ishmael was Abrahams first born son.

Long story. Not tonight if you don't know this.

Forum List

Back