The history of recessions

Except that the seven members of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate to serve 14-year terms of office. In addition, the President designates and the Senate confirms, two members of the Board to be Chairman and Vice Chairman for four-year terms so there is clearly a political component. You've also got the 12 Federal Reserve districts which also have a major political component.

Ron Paul had it right: "The Fed is a political institution that is used to manipulate the economy for the benefit of White House incumbents at the expense of the rest of society."

The fact is, most recessions are the fault of the federal government.

I'm not saying there isn't a political component to the Fed. However, the point of the OP is that specific recessions are directly traceable to Presidents and their actions, not to the Federal Reserve nor to other government agencies.

Extending this logic, the Tech Bubble and Housing Bubble are the fault of Ronald Reagan. Reagan appointed Greenspan who controlled the FOMC during the Tech Bubble and whose policies led to the Housing Bubble. Rather, I lay the blame on Greenspan, not on Reagan, since it was Greenspan, not Reagan, who set interest rate policy. Perhaps we should blame Reagan, since he fired Volcker, America's greatest central banker, and replaced him with Greenspan, perhaps America's worst.

As for recessions being the "fault" of the federal government, recessions were more common and lasted longer in the 1800s before the Federal Reserve system than in the 1900s, and have been less frequent and less deep since WWII. That's not a defense of the Fed. We may be witnessing the end of the Fed as we know it, I don't know. However, before the Fed and the implementation of automatic government stabilizers, recessions in the past occurred more frequently and were worse.

Last edited:
I just wish they would study the histroy of recessions and learn the truth of what unfettered mae=rkets produce

Forum List

Back