The History channel phony reality series Hatfield/Mccoy

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
How could a network that uses the word "history" resort to phony reality junk? In an effort to make a buck the HC got the (alleged) descendants of the Hatfield and McCoy feud to pretend to hate each other in front of the cameras. The promos show a big bowie type knife brandished and two old farts in coveralls wrestling on the ground. It's insulting to the intelligence of the viewer on a dozen levels.

It's been a long time since The History Channel has been about history. Used to be it was my favorite channel, I rarely watch it anymore. Nowadays I limit myself to American Pickers and Pawn Stars, that's as close to history any of their shows get these days...

I mean really... Swamp People? Mountain Men? Ice Road Truckers? Larry the Cable Fuck? Ax Men? Counting Cars?

They really need to change their name...

Last edited:
If you can think in the abstract and read between the lines, SpongeBob SquarePants will learn you more than most of todays TV shows. It's very educational for young children, and most of the posters here seem to think on that level

Last edited:
It's been a long time since The History Channel has been about history. Used to be it was my favorite channel, I rarely watch it anymore. Nowadays I limit myself to American Pickers and Pawn Stars, that's a close to history any of their shows get these days...

I mean really... Swamp People? Mountain Men? Ice Road Truckers? Larry the Cable Fuck? Ax Men? Counting Cars?

They really need to change their name...

The really unfortunate part about the history channel becomming the Bubba-Drama Channel is it had the potential to produce some really great NON-FICTION drama based on actual historical events.....I guess its a much cheaper thrill to pay one camera-man to follow a guy around for a few weeks while he bums around his cabin/boat/truck cab than to pay for the production costs to accurately protray a historical event.

"Bubba -Drama" I love it. You can't blame them for selling their souls for a buck, but history it ain't.

How could a network that uses the word "history" resort to phony reality junk? In an effort to make a buck the HC got the (alleged) descendants of the Hatfield and McCoy feud to pretend to hate each other in front of the cameras. The promos show a big bowie type knife brandished and two old farts in coveralls wrestling on the ground. It's insulting to the intelligence of the viewer on a dozen levels.

The History Channel has fallen ill with the Reality TV disease. American Pickers (which isn't too bad and actually does have a history angle), Pawn Stars (fake to the extreme), Swamp Men, Ice Road Truckers and now this.

I'm betting people are now longing for the days when it was known as the "Hitler Channel" because of it's constant flow of military/nazi documentaries.

I suppose this is what happens when the world didn't end on December 21st, 2012 and the channel was forced to put all of it's "end of the world" docs into the trashcan and find something to fill in the timeslots.

Forum List

Back