The History behind Normalizing Homosexuality...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Homosexuality: The Mental Illness That Went AwayAn alternative perspective on mental disorders | PHILIP HICKEY, PH.D.

According to the American Psychiatric Association, until 1974 homosexuality was a mental illness. Freud had alluded to homosexuality numerous times in his writings, and had concluded that paranoia and homosexuality were inseparable. Other psychiatrists wrote copiously on the subject, and homosexuality was “treated” on a wide basis. There was little or no suggestion within the psychiatric community that homosexuality might be conceptualized as anything other than a mental illness that needed to be treated. And, of course, homosexuality was listed as a mental illness in DSM-II.

Then in 1970 gay activists protested against the APA convention in San Francisco. These scenes were repeated in 1971, and as people came out of the “closet” and felt empowered politically and socially, the APA directorate became increasingly uncomfortable with their stance. In 1973 the APA’s nomenclature task force recommended that homosexuality be declared normal. The trustees were not prepared to go that far, but they did vote to remove homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses by a vote of 13 to 0, with 2 abstentions. This decision was confirmed by a vote of the APA membership, and homosexuality was no longer listed in the seventh edition of DSM-II, which was issued in 1974.

What’s noteworthy about this is that the removal of homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses was not triggered by some scientific breakthrough. There was no new fact or set of facts that stimulated this major change. Rather, it was the simple reality that gay people started to kick up a fuss. They gained a voice and began to make themselves heard. And the APA reacted with truly astonishing speed. And with good reason. They realized intuitively that a protracted battle would have drawn increasing attention to the spurious nature of their entire taxonomy. So they quickly “cut loose” the gay community and forestalled any radical scrutiny of the DSM system generally.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the vote of the membership was by no means unanimous. Only about 55% of the members who voted favored the change.

Of course, the APA put the best spin they could on these events. The fact is that they altered their taxonomy because of intense pressure from the gay community, but they claimed that the change was prompted by research findings.

So all the people who had this terrible “illness” were “cured” overnight – by a vote!

Read MOAR!:

Mental Health Diagnoses Decided by Vote, Not Discovery

And if you don't Believe this Doctor's Claims about the Protests, would you Believe Gays themselves?...

"The May 1971 Scene: A Bad Time for a Conference in Washington DC
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) held its annual convention in Washington DC during the first week of May 1971, amidst the turmoil and congestion of the MayDay antiwar demonstrations and at a time when the Gay MayDay contingent in those demonstrations had drawn large numbers of gay men and lesbians to the city. The convention was held at the Shoreham Hotel which backed up on Rock Creek Park. The scene in the city was chaotic: protestors, estimated at more than 10,000, (the remnants of an initial contingent of nearly 50,000) had spent the mornings of Monday May 3rd and Tuesday May 4th disrupting traffic, blocking roads and bridges, and trying to bring the normal business of government to a halt in protest against the Vietnam War. An even larger federal force, some 13,000, of soldiers (Marines and US Army), National Guardsmen, and police fought off the protestors. More than 10,000 were arrested. Tear gas and smoke were in the air in downtown Washington DC. The streets around the APA convention were patrolled

Following disruption by gay activists at the 1970 convention in San Francisco, the APA offered a conference panel discussion to be organized by Dr. Kameny, who invited Barbara Gittings, Jack Baker and others to participate in a discussion entitled "Lifestyles of Nonpatient Homosexuals", which ensured the panelists admittance to all of the convention's activities including the annual Convocation of Fellows."

1971: Zapping the APA Convention

The best part about this History is that at this time Gay Organizations were Directly in Line with and Marching with NAMBLA... Fact not Fiction.

It wasn't until 1994 that the Gay Community was finally "outed" regarding their Ties to NAMBLA when the ILGA was removed from the World Conference on Population and Disease for it.

Since that year, they have been Smart enough to Avoid their old Friends...

But not always:

University of Minnesota Press book challenges anxiety about pedophilia

Mark O'Keefe Newhouse News Service
Published Mar 26, 2002

Source: StarTribune.com: News, weather, sports from Minneapolis, St. Paul and Minnesota (Link has since been Purged by the Star... Of course... But I have the entire thing here)

Sex between adults and children has been a societal taboo so strong that it's considered one of our few unquestioned moral principles. But arguments have emerged in academic journals, books and online that at least some such sex should be acceptable, especially when children consent to it...

With more research, some scholars say, it may be only a matter of time before modern society accepts adult-child sex, just as it has learned to accept premarital sex and homosexual sex.

"Children are the last bastion of the old sexual morality," wrote one of the trailblazers for this view, Harris Mirkin, an associate professor of political science at the University of Missouri-Kansas City...

Mirkin, whose academic specialty is the politics of sex, wrote in a 1999 article published in The Journal of Homosexuality that society perceives youths as seduced, abused victims and not "partners or initiators or willing participants" in sex with adults, "even if they are hustlers."

In an interview, Mirkin said the outrage surrounding the Roman Catholic Church's pedophilia scandal illustrates how the public views acts of intergenerational contact as "one big blur" of child abuse when it's likely "very, very mild stuff."

"We say if someone touches or molests or diddles or whatever a kid it will ruin the rest of their life. I don't believe it. I think kids are more likely to laugh at it more than anything else -- unless the whole culture says this is the most horrible thing that can happen to you."

Mirkin is not alone in questioning whether children are harmed by sexual contact with adults. The March 2002 American Psychologist devotes its entire issue to the ongoing fallout of a journal article that did just that.

The piece, in the July 1998 issue of Psychological Bulletin, was written by Bruce Rind, then an assistant professor of psychology at Temple University; Robert Bauserman, a lecturer then with the department of psychology at the University of Michigan; and Philip Tromovitch, then pursuing a doctorate at the University of Pennsylvania.

The trio reviewed 59 studies of college students who, as children, had sexual interaction with significantly older people or were coerced into sexual activity with someone of their own age. They concluded that negative effects "were neither pervasive nor typically intense, and that men reacted much less negatively than women." It recommended that a child's "willing encounter with positive reactions" be called "adult-child sex" instead of "abuse."

A soon-to-be-released book, "Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children From Sex," is being advertised by its publisher, University of Minnesota Press, as challenging widespread anxieties about pedophilia.

In an interview, the book's author, journalist Judith Levine, praised the Rind study as evidence that "doesn't line up with the ideology that it's always harmful for kids to have sexual relationships with adults."

She said the pedophilia among Roman Catholic priests is complicated to analyze, because it's almost always secret, considered forbidden and involves an authority figure.

She added, however, that, "yes, conceivably, absolutely" a boy's sexual experience with a priest could be positive."...

You can read MOAR at the link under the headline. :thup:

Of course I will be Attacked for Observing what is... But what I have Posted is 100% True.

And if you Doubt for a Minute that the Pedo's are the Gays of the 50's and 60's right now to the Gay Community, then you are kidding yourselves.

The ONLY Reason most of them Distances themselves from NAMBLA and the others is because they got Caught and it Harmed their own Agenda.

History is what it is... If you want to be Angry about History then so be it.

I'm just an Observer. :thup:

:)

peace...

That's too much to read before breakfast. To me homosexuality is not a mental disease...just a genetic disposition to be sexually attracted to the same sex. It should br recognized for what it is...and not elevated to an institution upon which to build a society.

Last edited:
its like blonde hair or brown hair.

its a a slice of human kind is all.

the only reason it ever became though of as bad was when societies needed as many births as possible to be succesful so it was demonized.

why cant people move out of the past and understand it?

Mal, Mal, Mal...do you realize you're just helping gay marriage along? Rational people look at you and say "he's coo coo for coco puffs". Thank you.

^Thinks I give a shit... :rofl:

And make note... Seawytch can't take issue with one thing I Posted... Because none of it's Untrue.

ALL of it happened and it's good to Know the History regardless of whether or not Sea and her Contemporaries want the Public to Remain Ignorant and in line with their Agenda.

Gay Marriage the end of it?... Not by a long shot. :thup:

Teaching Homosexuality in Grade School is already happening and it will only expand as time goes on.

When I Predicted this 15 and 20 years ago the Seawytch's of the World said I was using Scare Tactics and that their Agenda had not place in Elementary Education...

Sorry... I was Right.

And I will continue to be.

Mainstream Liberal Professors and Doctors have been Pushing towards Children now out in the open for over a Decade.

Writing in Gay Publications about it... As I have Illustrated.

I don't Expect the Activists here to be Honest about it.

They are very Close to a Hugh Victory in their ongoing Cause.

They Know better than to be Honest right now.

peace...

its like blonde hair or brown hair.

its a a slice of human kind is all.

the only reason it ever became though of as bad was when societies needed as many births as possible to be succesful so it was demonized.

why cant people move out of the past and understand it?

Adult Child Sex?...

"Children are the last bastion of the old sexual morality," wrote one of the trailblazers for this view, Harris Mirkin, an associate professor of political science at the University of Missouri-Kansas City..."

Did you even bother Reading what I... Forget it... I just Realized it's TdM.

peace...

Determining what is mentally ill has ALWAYS had something to do with the moral values of the culture.

There was a time, not so long ago, for example, when unmitigated GREED was considered a mental illness.

Today, the greedy are lauded as job creators (by some of us) even if they never ever create even one job.

That's too much to read before breakfast. To me homosexuality is not a mental disease...just a genetic disposition to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex. It should br recognized for what it is...and not elevated to an institution upon which to build a society.

Please show proof it's genetic. Oooohh that's right, there is no genetic proof. So you're just basing your belief on nothing then... OK... got it.

Now on the other hand, yes, being confused about what sex you are and being sexually attracted to the same sex is abnormal, and further acting on that impulse is perverted, that definitely is a mental illness.

But... people like you don't care. Apathy is wonderful. No homo is sticking his meat up your ass so who cares... right? Well, same thing is coming for kids. The peds will use the same highly successful game plan the homos did and begin demonizing anyone that says they're mentally ill. You'll be a PEDOPHOBE, MEAN SPIRITED and a BIGOT, and you should SHUT THE FUCK UP. It's coming... bank on it... you think men shoving their meat up each others ass is OK, well, it's no worse than a 50 year old wanting to have sex with a 12 year old. You allowed one to be tolerated, now get ready to allow the other.

Last edited:
Determining what is mentally ill has ALWAYS had something to do with the moral values of the culture.

There was a time, not so long ago, for example, when unmitigated GREED was considered a mental illness.

Today, the greedy are lauded as job creators (by some of us) even if they never ever create even one job.

I think you're confused... today the lazy bastards that want everything handed to them for free by those who work for it are the GREEDY ones... you know... LIBERALS/PROGRESSIVES/DEMOCRATS.

That's too much to read before breakfast. To me homosexuality is not a mental disease...just a genetic disposition to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex. It should br recognized for what it is...and not elevated to an institution upon which to build a society.

Please show proof it's genetic. Oooohh that's right, there is no genetic proof. So you're just basing your belief on nothing then... OK... got it.

Now on the other hand, yes, being confused about what sex you are and being sexually attracted to the same sex is abnormal, and further acting on that impulse is perverted, that definitely is a mental illness.

But... people like you don't care. Apathy is wonderful. No homo is sticking his meat up your ass so who cares... right? Well, same thing is coming for kids. The peds will use the same highly successful game plan the homos did and begin demonizing anyone that says they're mentally ill. You'll be a PEDOPHOBE, MEAN SPIRITED and a BIGOT, and you should SHUT THE FUCK UP. It's coming... bank on it... you think men shoving their meat up each others ass is OK, well, it's no worse than a 50 year old wanting to have sex with a 12 year old. You allowed one to be tolerated, now get ready to allow the other.

Scientific Racism

New bigots, meet bigots of old
Told you BIGOT was coming... and it sure didn't take long.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

Scientific Racism

When the bigot shoe fits...

:lol:

Mal, Mal, Mal...do you realize you're just helping gay marriage along? Rational people look at you and say "he's coo coo for coco puffs". Thank you.

And make note... Seawytch can't take issue with one thing I Posted... Because none of it's Untrue.

ALL of it happened and it's good to Know the History regardless of whether or not Sea and her Contemporaries want the Public to Remain Ignorant and in line with their Agenda.

Teaching Homosexuality in Grade School is already happening and it will only expand as time goes on.

When I Predicted this 15 and 20 years ago the Seawytch's of the World said I was using Scare Tactics and that their Agenda had not place in Elementary Education...

Sorry... I was Right.

Mainstream Liberal Professors and Doctors have been Pushing towards Children now out in the open for over a Decade.

peace...

homosexuality was never an illness mal.

I didnt read your "quiet room" scratching and I was responding to the people who on this thread think it is.

anyone who equates homosexuality with child abuse is a fucking lying asshole BTW

Sounds like you got outed at Nellis?

Sorry... I was Right.

peace...

homosexuality was never an illness mal.

I didnt read your "quiet room" scratching and I was responding to the people who on this thread think it is.

anyone who equates homosexuality with child abuse is a fucking lying asshole BTW

^TdM: A Load that should have been Swallowed. :thup:

peace...

Scientific Racism

When the bigot shoe fits...

... but in this case, when you think it works to further your sick fucking agenda.

Just WAAAAAAY to easy to expose simple minded bubble heads like yourself... you help.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back