The History and Constitutionality of Gun Control in the Americas and America

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why in the one link I gave it is clearly stated that the Chicago decision clarified the scope of gun ownership in regards to the states.

McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. ___ (2010), is a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States that determined whether the Second Amendment applies to the individual states.

The Court held that the right of an individual to "keep and bear arms" protected by the Second Amendment is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and applies to the states.

The decision cleared up the uncertainty left in the wake of District of Columbia v. Heller as to the scope of gun rights in regard to the states.

Ruling authorities from the Old World (our societal forebears in the America's), have always regulated gun ownership...in what is now Canada, USA, and Mexico.

We have historically recognized the rights of authority to regulate guns and ammo.

In State Constitutions after the American Revolution, and later in the US Constitution we enumerate a right to own/posses guns. Nowhere in the USC do we say the government should not and cannot regulate individual ownership of guns. Infringement on the right to own guns does not negate the recognized right and duty of society, through government, to regulate guns.

and quotes from blogs where an agenda and disinformation is used are irrelevant to this discussion except in passing reference. most of what people write on history is wrong or irrelevant. Read court rulings and even some of them dismiss many of the arguments about what went on in state conventions.

Oh Mr. Kopel is not a joe six pack blogger that I'm quoting. And please note he's a lifelong Democrat.

:eusa_angel:

Dave Kopel is an American author, attorney, political science researcher and contributing editor to several publications.

He is currently Research Director of the Independence Institute in Golden, Colorado, Associate Policy Analyst at the Cato Institute, contributor to the National Review magazine and Volokh Conspiracy legal blog. Previously he was Adjunct Professor of Law, New York University, and Former Assistant Attorney General for Colorado.

Kopel earned a B.A. in history with highest honors from Brown University, and won the National Geographic Society Prize for best History thesis with a biography of Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.

He graduated magna cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School. He was also a contributing editor of the Michigan Law Review.

Politically he is a lifelong registered Democrat but a confessed small government libertarian at heart who voted for Ralph Nader

Dave Kopel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

td, it's over

thank you
D

I enjoyed myself immensely. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to express my views in a wonderfully civil manner.

yours,
td

ps I'm never ever ever going up against you in the Flame Zone though. I've seen your handiwork and it's not pretty. I keep feeling I should be calling 911 for some of the posters.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back