The high cost of unintended pregnancy

Increasing contraceptive use isn't going to decrease abortions.

This is quite untrue. If more people are using them, then less women will get pregnant. This does not take much brainpower to understand.

More chances of failure to use it, etc.

This is simply astonishing illogic. If more people have access to birth control, then more people will have success in using it.

Look at it this way. Imagine 20 women who are using no birth control, and 20 women who are using birth control.

Which group of 20 is going to have the higher pregnancy rate?

If you think they will have equal pregnancy rates, you are truly off the deep end and there is nothing anyone can do for you but write you off.

But if you can plainly see that the group of 20 on birth control will have a lower pregnancy rate, then imagine all 40 women on birth control.

Will the total pregnancy rate go up or down?

It will obviously go down.

Increasing contraceptive use isn't going to decrease abortions. More chances of failure to use it, etc. In reality, self control of not engaging in sex in the first place if you are not prepared for the consequences is the only thing that would really reduce abortions. And, as for reducing abortions, another way to reduce abortions is to have the child you created and take responsibility.

That stats show extraordinary and continual increase of abortions and teen pregnancy from RvW and the advent of free contraceptives for all until the 90s, when we started to restrict governmental funding of abortion. So of COURSE free contraceptives and abortion do not result in fewer unplanned pregnancy and abortions. The numbers absolutely put the lie to that particular, well, LIE. It's just a mantra the left uses as if it means something.

Just like they use the mantra "If you are pro-life, then you believe in child abuse". It's idiotic, has no basis in reality, and in fact the numbers definitively disprove any connection, unless you want to consider the fact that child abuse and murder has actually increased lockstep with legalized abortion and abortion availability.

This is quite untrue. If more people are using them, then less women will get pregnant. This does not take much brainpower to understand.

This is simply astonishing illogic. If more people have access to birth control, then more people will have success in using it.

Look at it this way. Imagine 20 women who are using no birth control, and 20 women who are using birth control.

If you think they will have equal pregnancy rates, you are truly off the deep end and there is nothing anyone can do for you but write you off.

Now imagine all 40 women on birth control.

NO, it's not obvious, and the statistics show that it hasn't happened at all so far.

The STATISTICS show increased teen pregnancy, out of wedlock births, and abortion...despite the availability of free contraceptives and legal abortions. Your mantra is a lie that is promoted by the liberal mob, and has ABSOLUTELY no basis in fact.

Let's imagine it like this. If all 40 women were not having sex and prepared for a pregnancy to occur, then the statistics would bear out that 100% will not get pregnant. So, i guess you can spin "statistics" however you wish.

"Induced abortions are often severely underreported in national surveys, hampering the estimation and analysis of unintended pregnancies. "

Measuring the Extent of Abortion Underreporting In the 1995 National Survey of Family Growth

"
Over the past three decades, unintended pregnancy has become an issue of personal and social concern in the United States.1 Unintended pregnancy has been used as an indicator both of contraceptive failure and of the need for contraceptive services. It has also been recognized as the prime cause of induced abortion and as a contributor to inadequate prenatal care.2 Unfortunately, studies of unintended pregnancy have been hampered by the difficulty of obtaining accurate information on unintended pregnancies that end in abortions, which have been shown to be severely underreported in a variety of surveys.3
One such survey is the National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG), which has been conducted periodically since 1973. The survey is designed to collect nationally representative statistics on family and fertility processes and has served as the key source of information on the reproductive behaviors of women in the United States. However, the NSFG's usefulness for analyses of pregnancy intention and contraceptive effectiveness has been limited by underreporting of pregnancies ending in induced abortions. "
Measuring the Extent of Abortion Underreporting In the 1995 National Survey of Family Growth

Oh, and teen pregnancy, which rose exponentially after RvW and continued to rise until the 90s, is on the rise again..despite the increased access to birth control and abortion for all:

Troubling Trend in Teen Birthrates Seen in New Federal Government Data

By the way, these articles are from Guttmacher, the top dog in Pro-Abortion propaganda. Imagine what the reality must be....

"
Comparison of NSFG data with information from other sources has shown that fewer than half of the abortions that actually occurred in the United States among women aged 15-44 were reported in NSFG Cycles 2-4. The proportion of abortions reported varies substantially by women's characteristics, such as age, race and marital status.4 These levels of underreporting render the NSFG data from these cycles inadequate for estimation or analysis of abortion or of unintended pregnancy as either a dependent or an independent variable. For example, contraceptive failure rates and discontinuation rates calculated from NSFG data alone are underestimates because of underreporting of abortions.5"

And yet the numbers show abortion is increasing, and teen pregnancy is increasing...so there goes your well-reasoned (not) argument that increased availability = decreased abortion/unintended pregnancy. Guttmacher says you're a liar. Or just a dupe.

In reality, self control of not engaging in sex in the first place if you are not prepared for the consequences is the only thing that would really reduce abortions. And, as for reducing abortions, another way to reduce abortions is to have the child you created and take responsibility.

After 40 years, this attitude has had nearly zero effect on the rate of abortion. I think after that amount of time one would have to accept the utter failure of one's tactics and would start to wonder if there was a better way.

So please open your mind to what I am saying, because I believe I have found a better way.

As I have stated, half of all abortions are the result of the non-use of birth control.

Now, there are wonderful and sensible people who are totally opposed to birth control on religious grounds. However, this is not the prevailing opinion in America. The vast majority of Americans are just fine with the use of birth control.

Unfortunately, the evidence strongly indicates that not enough Americans are using birth control and this fact alone is the cause of half a million abortions a year out of the approximately one million total abortions each year.

Imagine if we could achieve a 50 percent reduction of abortions in America. Imagine an America where abortions suddenly became far less common.

Now what do you suppose would happen to the social acceptance of abortion in such a case?

I propose abortion would become less socially acceptable if it were an option that was used much less frequently.

So you can spend another 40 years getting nowhere in reducing abortions in America, or you can redirect your energies toward a plan that would actually make serious progress toward our goal.

Very few people are happy with the number of abortions happening in our country. Not even the majority of pro-choice people are happy about it.

I strongly believe we can find common ground in coming up with a plan to get more people to use birth control.

Last edited:
Best scenario is to not get pregnant.

You can walk into Family Planning and clinics all over this country and get birth control for FREE.

Absolutely no reason for anyone, outside of rape or incest, to be pregnant today unless they want to be pregnant.

And I for one am tired of footing the bills for those idiots who think Welfare and medicaid is a way of life.

We need to teach women that they are responsible for their own bodies, and ANY sex = a risk of pregnancy. And if you get pregnant, you will have to deal with pregnancy. Stop telling them they have a "right" to pretend they aren't female, that they have a "right" to kill babies they find inconvenient, and they have a "right" to kill babies that are the result of irresponsible sex. You have a right to have any sex you like, but if you create a baby, you will then have a RESPONSIBILITY towards that baby...and it will last at least 9 months. STOP TELLING WOMEN THEY CAN HAVE SEX WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES. It's a lie, and the result is masses of women who have no respect for themselves, who are treated as disposable play things and who think that's A-Ok, and who are stuck with the horrible dilemma of trying to figure out what to do with a baby they didn't intend, fathered by some creep they don't want to have a lifelong relationship with.

If we stopped treating pregnancy and motherhood as the most objectionable of conditions maybe we would have fewer abortions.

As long as motherhood is considered a preventable disease and abortion the cure, none of this is going to change.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. Republicans want to force these women to bring their pregnancies to term. Unwanted children are MUCH more likely to be abused. Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a person. If it was then the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

Well, you're pro murder, so I guess you're even.

Bullshit.

Anyone who says an embryo is a person is an idiot.

An embryo has no consciousness.

So you are pro child abuse.

Murderer!

Abortion is a BOON for men not women. It is a way for men to engage in irresponsible behavior without consequences. In general, men choose younger partners. It is easy to manipulate and prey upon the emotions of a young woman in a vulnerable state. Then, push her into a life altering decision for both herself and child the ramifications of which are permanent.

The Party of Dead Elephants has been attempting to pass itself off as America's moral conscience for many years, which is laughable since they possess neither.

Too many people in America believe that if you are pro-choice that means pro-abortion. It doesn't. I don't want abortion. Abortion should be the rarest thing in the world. I am actually personally opposed to abortion. But I don't believe that I have a right to take what is an article of faith to me and legislate it to other people. That's not how it works in America." Senator Kerry

I found this quote from Senator Kerry, which IMO reflects the attitudes and opinions of millions of Americans who are Pro-Choice.

That the Anti-Abortion movement has managed to infuse its religious morals and beliefs into our political system should be an eye-opener as to how easily our personal freedoms can be compromised. The founders' clear intention was that there be a separation of church and state. Nor was it contemplated by them that at any time the purview of an elected representative would encompass the power to legislate personal moral codes or levy restrictive living standards on the citizens of this country.

** Speaking of Anti-Abortion fruitcakes - Sarah Palin to be specific, who when asked by Katie Couric if she could name a Supreme Court decision with which she disagreed just couldn't seem to come up with Roe v. Wade. Duh!

Last edited:
The pro abortion movement has been very successful in equating desire with need. Living with the consequences of one's own personal moral codes is now levying restrictive living standards. It used to be called freedom.

The Party of Dead Elephants has been attempting to pass itself off as America's moral conscience for many years, which is laughable since they possess neither.

Too many people in America believe that if you are pro-choice that means pro-abortion. It doesn't. I don't want abortion. Abortion should be the rarest thing in the world. I am actually personally opposed to abortion. But I don't believe that I have a right to take what is an article of faith to me and legislate it to other people. That's not how it works in America." Senator Kerry

I found this quote from Senator Kerry, which IMO reflects the attitudes and opinions of millions of Americans who are Pro-Choice.

That the Anti-Abortion movement has managed to infuse its religious morals and beliefs into our political system should be an eye-opener as to how easily our personal freedoms can be compromised. The founders' clear intention was that there be a separation of church and state. Nor was it contemplated by them that at any time the purview of an elected representative would encompass the power to legislate personal moral codes or levy restrictive living standards on the citizens of this country.

** Speaking of Anti-Abortion fruitcakes - Sarah Palin to be specific, who when asked by Katie Couric if she could name a Supreme Court decision with which she disagreed just couldn't seem to come up with Roe v. Wade. Duh!

I'm sure you're much more successful than that dummy Palin, :lol::cuckoo:

Murder isn't "personal freedom". It's just murder.

Killing off the babies of the underprivileged and minority classes isn't "choice". It's genocide.

Not everyone believes as you pro-infanticide fruitcakes do... you prattle on and on about the "sanctity" of life and then promote ripping fetus' from the womb and then flushing them down a drain and then in the next sentence... drone on and on about the "poor little children".

Sorry, us "anti-abortion" fruitcakes kinda see that as wrong. Go figure.

But if you can plainly see that the group of 20 on birth control will have a lower pregnancy rate, then imagine all 40 women on birth control.

So...are you just ignoring the stats, or are you intentionally disingenuous?

More women are using birth control than ever before...more women in the 70s and 80s used birth control than previously, and yet the abortion rate continued to rise through those decades, and is rising now.

So how do you address that unfortunate fact? Because it completely decimates your assertion that if more women have birth control, the pregnancy rate, and thus the ABORTION rate, will decrease. They do not go hand in hand....and currently the pregnancy rate for teens is climbing after a slight decrease in the 90s (that in no way brought us anywhere close to pre-roe v wade levels). Everyone, including Guttmachers (though you do have to dig to find it) agrees that we aren't seeing real abortion numbers, and that the abortion numbers are ASTRONOMICALLY higher than what is reported...so we know that the abortion rate, which skyrocketed during the 70s and 80s, is at the very least holding steady, and in all likelihood still increasing...despite the incontestable fact that access to free contraceptives AND abortion (including federally and state funded abortions...until the 90s, when they decided to stop funding it, and lo and behold, abortion numbers tapered off...) did absolutely NOTHING to decrease the numbers of abortions or unplanned pregnancy, OR teen pregnancy, and in fact appears to have resulted in a phenomenal LEAP in those numbers...

So how do you reconcile that with your continued parroting of "if we increase contraceptive availability, unplanned birth and therefore abortion numbers will drop without a doubt"?

Because the facts aren't reconcilable with your stance.

Just wondering.

I do not sanction abortions or euthanasia, however if one takes a stand against abortion and believes in the sanctity of life, then that person should step up and put their money where their principles are. Unwanted pregnancies cost money. Are you willing to help pay for the care of children, caring for the disabled, the autistic? If you claim these high minded principles regarding the sanctity of life, yet rail against taxes, then your so-called principles are mere talking points and nothing more than a veil over your own selfishness. If your principles are faith based then your faith is nothing more than hypocrasy. It will take money to raise these children who otherwise might have been aborted.

There is a years-long waiting list to adopt a baby.

Forum List

Back