The high cost of unintended pregnancy

Yes, that is exactly what I think, you pompous ass. Maybe your story is true and maybe it isn't. I will never be convinced that the whole lot of you does not use birth control and has never had an abortion. Think about it. It doesn't even make sense.

Why does it not make sense that pro-lifers don't get abortions? Are you so hypocritical yourself you can't imagine others aren't, or something?

There are people in this world who do walk the walk. They follow their morals and live by them as much as humanly possible.

And why do you assume pro-lifers don't use birth control? Most people use birth control. Only a small fraction of pro-lifers don't.

Being pro-life means not aborting a child in the womb. It has nothing to do with using the Pill. Don't conflate the two. The morality of the Pill is a separate issue.

Pro-lifers are a slim majority. People who think the Pill is immoral are a very tiny minority.

If you go back a few pages, you will find a very long post by me asking my fellow pro-lifers to give serious consideration to coming up with a plan to increase the use of the Pill to cut down on the number of abortions. You will also find some very longs posts by me providing evidence that the number of abortions would be virtually unchanged if Roe v. Wade were overturned and it is therefore a good idea to direct our energies to actually doing something which will actually decrease the number of abortions, and the best way to do that is to increase birth control usage.

I strongly believe pro-lifers and pro-choicers can find middle ground here. I believe the overly emotional and the fanatical on both sides have dominated the abortion issue for way, way too long.

Is THAT pompous enough for you?

No. For the last time, do you expect anybody to believe that you and your fellow pompous asses have NEVER had an abortion?? That is what you would like us to think, and it's crap.

Logical fallacy. Whether or not pro-lifers have had abortions has no bearing on whether or not abortion should be legal.

Just as whether or not they adopt Chinese children has any bearing whatever on whether or not abortion should be legal (? I dunno..ask TM).

I found out something quite interesting today. In order to provide all this free birth control insurance companies will no longer provide coverage to screen for testicular cancer nor ovarian cancer.

Someone has to pay for all this health care.

Go figure.

Hey, it's just more culling. The left is big on culling out those who are genetically weak, unable to support themselves, or just sick. They should love it.

I found out something quite interesting today. In order to provide all this free birth control insurance companies will no longer provide coverage to screen for testicular cancer nor ovarian cancer.

Someone has to pay for all this health care.
Do you have a link for this? It sounds like pure BS.

Yes, the stats DO support what I said, but it's hard to speak to that as you simply say that they don't, then go on to talk about other things that in no way support your statement that the stats on increased abortion/teen pregnancy etc. are bogus.

So you are sticking with the correlation is proof of causation? Nice try...

No, that is a LOGICAL FALLACY. Birth control is available, and free, and has been increasingly so for decades...and yet the abortion rate has climbed exponentially all through that time period.

Please explain how increased access to birth control reduces abortion, when we have the numbers that prove otherwise. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT SUBJECTS.

Birth control fails, a LOT. And women are lulled into a false sense of security, which means they are more careless, because they think that they won't get pregnant. So they engage in riskier behavior than they would WITHOUT the safety net of birth control. The result is more women who absolutely DON'T want children have sex based on the fact that they think there's no chance they'll get pregnant...and then when they DO get pregnant, they hustle off to the clinic for an abortion.

And the whole concept of "overpopulation" is also a logical fallacy. We aren't overpopulated. We have issues with food distribution and tyrannical regimes, and oppression of nomadic people...but that's NOT the same as "overpopulation". Those populations are dying out because they are being encouraged to have fewer children...yet they continue to die at an accelerated rate. It's eugenics, and genocide besides. It's not based upon concern for those people, nor is it based upon concern for children. Children don't "benefit" from abortion, that's idiotic. And by "overpopulation" you just mean "too many of a particular group of people". Call it what it is.

You keep calling everything a logical fallacy. Stop. You obviously don't know the proper usage of a logical fallacy in debate and you are vastly over-applying this term when it is not appropriate. An example of a logical fallacy is ad hominem fallacy, which I could use right now, but I won't.

Overpopulation of this planet is very real, and relative to resources, and will continue to get worse. You're little bubble of republican thought might inform you otherwise, but that doesn't mean shit.

No, that is a LOGICAL FALLACY. Birth control is available, and free, and has been increasingly so for decades...and yet the abortion rate has climbed exponentially all through that time period.

No, it has not. Stop making shit up. Abortion in America plateaued a long time ago. The peak was around 1980, then it went down over the next few years and has pretty much leveled out. See the CDC link I provided earlier in this topic.

Please explain how increased access to birth control reduces abortion, when we have the numbers that prove otherwise.

What numbers? Provide them.

I have provided evidence that half of all abortions are the result of the non-use of birth control.

Birth control fails, a LOT.

Are you even looking at all the evidence I have provided, or are you just clamping your hands over your eyes and choosing to be willfully blind to sustain your unfactual, make believe point of view?

The number of abortions due to properly used birth control is 5 percent.

Understand? 5 percent.

So again, STOP MAKING SHIT UP!!! You completely undermine the pro-life point of view when you do that.

Last edited:
Obviously, you didn't notice the multiple links I put up where guttmacher's and CDC admitted that abortions are INCREDIBLY underreported and inaccurate.

Go back and catch up now.

Obviously, you didn't notice the multiple links I put up where guttmacher's and CDC admitted that abortions are INCREDIBLY underreported and inaccurate.

If you are talking about this:

Then you are an idiot who does not understand what you are reading.

That is a Guttmacher report stating the NSFG underreported abortions.

The usefulness of the NSFG remains extremely limited for analyses involving unintended pregnancy and abortion

I have been using Guttmacher data all through this topic. Not NSFG data.

I have also used CDC data. NOT NSFG data.

And if you scroll down that report, they describe the Guttmacher/CDC methodology to arrive at an accurate figure, and then they show the actual number of abortions and the chart CLEARLY shows they have leveled out since the 80s.

So everything you have made up is...made up in your own mind. That report certainly does not support your invention that abortions have grown exponentially. It actually confirms what I have told you.

So I hope YOU are caught up now. If not, READ YOUR OWN LINK.

Last edited:

You're getting your ass kicked!!!

This is why treating you retards like you have normal intelligence is such a wash.

I used guttmacher/cdc stat numbers. the NSFG did a STUDY of the guttmacher/cdc stats, the STUDY RESULTS are on the cdc and guttmacher sites as a DISCLAIMER regarding their numbers.

"The National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG) gathers information on family life, marriage and divorce, pregnancy, infertility, use of contraception, and men's and women's health. The survey results are used by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and others to plan health services and health education programs, and to do statistical studies of families, fertility, and health. Links to some of those studies are included on this web site, under "Publications and Information Products."

Cripes. This is what is so frustrating...you haven't been using guttmacher stats, I don't think you linked anything at all...the NSFG study that I linked was ON THE CDC SITE. Moron.

NSFG - National Survey of Family Growth Homepage

Please notice this link is to the CDC site.

Moron.

Last edited:
The public cost of unintended pregnancy is estimated to be about 11 billion dollars per year in short term medical costs.[11] This includes costs of births, one year of infant medical care and costs of fetal loss.[11] Preventing unintended pregnancy would save the public over 5 billion dollars per year in short term medical costs.[11] Savings in long term costs and in other areas would be much larger.[11] By another estimate, the direct medical costs of unintended pregnancies, not including infant medical care, was $5 billion in 2002.[27]

Of the 800,000 teen pregnancies per year,[28] over 80% were unintended in 2001.[1] One-third of teen pregnancies result in abortion.[28] In 2002, about 9% of women at risk for unintended pregnancy were teenagers,[20] but about 20% of the unintended pregnancies in the United States are to teenagers.[29] A somewhat larger proportion of unintended births are reported as mistimed, rather than unwanted, for teens compared to women in general (79% mistimed for teens vs. 69% among all women in 1998).[30]

In the US it is estimated that 52% of unintended pregnancies result from couples not using contraception in the month the woman got pregnant, and 43% result from inconsistent or incorrect contraceptive use; only 5% result from contraceptive failure, according to a report from the Guttmacher Institute.[1] Contraceptive use saved an estimated $19 billion in direct medical costs from unintended pregnancies in 2002.[27]

In 2006, publicly funded family planning services (Title X, medicaid, and state funds) helped women avoid 1.94 million unintended pregnancies, thus preventing about 860,000 unintended births and 810,000 abortions.[31] Without publicly funded family planning services, the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions in the United States would be nearly two-thirds higher among women overall and among teens; the number of unintended pregnancies among poor women would nearly double[31] The services provided at publicly funded clinics saved the federal and state governments an estimated $5.1 billion in 2008 in short term medical costs.[31] Nationally, every $1.00 invested in helping women avoid unintended pregnancy saved $3.74 in Medicaid expenditures that otherwise would have been needed.[31]

Reducing unintended pregnancy in the United States would be particularly desirable since abortion is such a politically divisive issue.[3]

Rape

A longitudinal study in 1996 of over 4000 women in the United States followed for 3 years found that the rape-related pregnancy rate was 5.0% among victims aged 12–45 years. Applying that rate to rapes committed in the United States would indicate that there are over 32,000 pregnancies in the United States as a result of rape each year.[32]

Unintended pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps, just maybe, the two people FUCKING, that don't want kids should take precautions. And if that doesn't work shoulder their new responsibility like the adults they pretended to be while FUCKING.

Cripes. This is what is so frustrating...you haven't been using guttmacher stats, I don't think you linked anything at all...
Actually I did.

You have absolutely no evidence of exponential growth in the number of abortions. If you did, you would quote the proof.

Abortions have been flat for quite some time. I provided the link, and your own link from Guttmacher stated the exact same thing.

So as you say, "Go back and catch up now."

Last edited:
Here is the link once again: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/ss/ss4804.pdf

In 1996, a total of 1,221,585 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC, representing a slight increase of 0.9% from the number reported for 1995 (6 ) (Table 1).
From 1970 through 1982, the reported number of legal abortions in the United States
increased every year (Table 2; Figure 1); the largest percentage increase occurred from
1970 to 1971. From 1976 through 1982, the annual increase declined and reached a
low of 0.2% during 1980–1981 and during 1981–1982. From 1983 through 1990, the
number of abortions increased again, although moderately (£5% from year to year).
However, despite the slight increase in the number of abortions in 1996 compared
with 1995, during 1990–1995, the annual number of abortions decreased each year.

Here is a Guttmacher count of abortions: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

You can see the graph at the very beginning.

Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant.

Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.

Last edited:
Cripes. This is what is so frustrating...you haven't been using guttmacher stats, I don't think you linked anything at all...
Actually I did.

You have absolutely no evidence of exponential growth in the number of abortions. If you did, you would quote the proof.

Abortions have been flat for quite some time. I provided the link, and your own link from Guttmacher stated the exact same thing.

So as you say, "Go back and catch up now."

You used to be able to get the numbers from Guttmacher and CDC. But since people became aware of them, they started playing the shell game with the studies and graphs, and hiding them in articles about all the reasons we need abortion.

I'll find you some numbers. I've provided them many, many times over the years on this site.

Denial of the reality will in no way win you this argument. We don't have valid numbers...and what numbers we do have are very, very low, and even the abortion industry admits it.

BTW..."
Are states required to report their abortion statistics to CDC?

No, states and areas voluntarily report data to CDC for inclusion in its annual Abortion Surveillance Report. CDC's Division of Reproductive Health prepares surveillance reports as data becomes available. There is no national requirement for data submission or reporting"

CDC - CDCs Abortion Surveillance System FAQs - Reproductive Health

Here's from 1978 through 1980.

"
Fifty states and the District of Columbia reported 1,251,921 legal abortions in 1979, an 8.1% increase over the number reported for 1978 (Table 1). In 1980, the total was 1,297,606, an increase of 3.6% over 1979. Over the 2-year period, the national abortion ratio* increased by 3.5%, from 347.3 per 1,000 live births in 1978 to 359.4/1,000 in 1980. Over 90% of this increase occurred between 1978 and 1979. Since 1978, the national abortion rate increased from 23 to 25 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15 to 44. "

Surveillance Summary Abortion Surveillance: Preliminary Analysis, 1979-1980 -- United States

Are you saying that abortion decreased dramatically between 1972-1978? Or do you suppose that it increased, and continued to increase as contraception and legal abortion became more readily available?

Oh, and here is an interesting tidbit, for those who think that abortion "saves" women:

"Over the 2-year period, 26 deaths associated with legal abortion were reported-- 18 in 1979 and eight in 1980. Fourteen deaths were reported following spontaneous abortions--eight in 1979 and six in 1980. No 1979 deaths were reported from illegally induced abortions; one was reported in 1980."

Surveillance Summary Abortion Surveillance: Preliminary Analysis, 1979-1980 -- United States

Vital Statistics of New York State
Annual Vital Statistics Tables

2009 Tables
2008 Tables
2007 Tables
2006 Tables
2005 Tables
2004 Tables
2003 Tables
2002 Tables
2001 Tables
2000 Tables
1999 Tables
1998 Tables
1997 Tables

The Annual Vital Statistics Tables includes the following tables:

Technical Notes
Population
Live Births
Spontaneous Fetal Deaths
Induced Abortion
Pregnancies
Mortality
Marriages and Dissolutions of Marriage
City and Village Profiles

Please Note:

For copies of NYS vital records (birth, death, divorce, or marriage certificates) go to our Vital Records section under Application Forms.

Vital Statistics of New York State

Here is the link once again: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/ss/ss4804.pdf

In 1996, a total of 1,221,585 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC, representing a slight increase of 0.9% from the number reported for 1995 (6 ) (Table 1).
From 1970 through 1982, the reported number of legal abortions in the United States
increased every year (Table 2; Figure 1); the largest percentage increase occurred from
1970 to 1971. From 1976 through 1982, the annual increase declined and reached a
low of 0.2% during 1980–1981 and during 1981–1982. From 1983 through 1990, the
number of abortions increased again, although moderately (£5% from year to year).
However, despite the slight increase in the number of abortions in 1996 compared
with 1995, during 1990–1995, the annual number of abortions decreased each year.

Here is a Guttmacher count of abortions: Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States

You can see the graph at the very beginning.

Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant.

Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.

"Since 1969, when CDC began collecting information on legal abortions, the reported number of women obtaining abortions has increased yearly"

Because I know you don't understand this stuff I will explain the second half of the comment I have quoted, where it says the PERCENTAGE of increase decreased later. THAT ISN'T THE SAME AS SAYING ABORTION NUMBERS STOPPED RISING. It is saying that they increased PHENOMENALLY right after legalized abortion, and now the increase is not so large in terms of percentages.

Forum List

Back