The High Cost of Smoking

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
The High Cost of Smoking
By Hilary Smith for MSN Money Central

If the threat of cancer can't persuade you to quit smoking, maybe the prospect of poverty will.

The financial consequences of lighting up stretch far beyond the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Smokers pay more for insurance and lose money on the resale value of their cars and homes. They spend extra on dry cleaning and teeth cleaning. Long term, they earn less and receive less in pension and Social Security benefits.

And now, being a smoker can not only mean you don't get hired -- you can get fired, too: Weyco, a medical benefits administrator in Okemos, Mich., after announcing it would no longer employ smokers, fired four employees who refused to submit to a breath test. Recently it began testing the spouses of its employees, too, levying a $180-a-month surcharge on those who don't test clean.

The National Workrights Institute estimates that more than 6,000 companies refuse to hire smokers. A few examples:

for full article:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourHealth/HighCostOfSmoking.aspx

The High Cost of Smoking
By Hilary Smith for MSN Money Central

If the threat of cancer can't persuade you to quit smoking, maybe the prospect of poverty will.

The financial consequences of lighting up stretch far beyond the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Smokers pay more for insurance and lose money on the resale value of their cars and homes. They spend extra on dry cleaning and teeth cleaning. Long term, they earn less and receive less in pension and Social Security benefits.

And now, being a smoker can not only mean you don't get hired -- you can get fired, too: Weyco, a medical benefits administrator in Okemos, Mich., after announcing it would no longer employ smokers, fired four employees who refused to submit to a breath test. Recently it began testing the spouses of its employees, too, levying a $180-a-month surcharge on those who don't test clean.

The National Workrights Institute estimates that more than 6,000 companies refuse to hire smokers. A few examples:

for full article:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourHealth/HighCostOfSmoking.aspx

Awesome! As soon as they get done with smokers we can start on the alchys and then the fatties. Can't wait until we start purging society of extreme sports too. Oh, and don't forget the elective surgery bunch too!

We will have Utopia yet, no matter what the cost!

$6/ day habit @ 6% annual interest for 45 years = $506,493.62. You really have to like those things to pay that kind of money.:alco:

Lets say everyone quit smoking - do you really think the local, state, and federal government would go without all the tax revenue?

Smokers keep your taxes low and since they die younger - they save Social Security lots of money as well

Smoking is legal so lay off the anti smoking crap

Smoking is legal so lay off the anti smoking crap

The post was not intended as "anti-smoking crap." A few posters had indicated that smokers were probably already paying higher premiums for health insurance, so I went looking to see if I could find some information on that. I'm not a smoker--having watched my father die of his smoking habit--so I'm not "in the know" about anything regarding smoking. At any rate, I found that it was true that smokers pay more for health insurance; it's just that the article contained a whole lot more information than just health insurance premiums. The article contained information I would be interested in if I were a smoker.

I wonder how much CAR ACCIDENTS cost society? Let's outlaw EVERYTHING which has the potential to be dangerous, eh? :(

Bad drivers are a health and property risk, so they pay more for car insurance, just like smokers pay more for health insurance.

Bad drivers are a health and property risk, so they pay more for car insurance, just like smokers pay more for health insurance.

Not really - we ALL pay more for car insurance because of wrecks...not just 'bad drivers'. When a company has a 'bad year', they jack up rates for everybody. :(

Why an interest rate? Are people taking out a mortgage to pay for cigs?
I'm simply pointing out how much a habit like that costs, relative to putting the money in a simple interest bearing account for use when you retire. On one hand you have 45 years of a filthy habbit followed by a few miserable years in the cancer ward at the local nursing home waiting to die, and on the other, a beach house and a Lambo. Or you can blow the money some other way, like wasting time posting on an internet forum.

Not really - we ALL pay more for car insurance because of wrecks...not just 'bad drivers'. When a company has a 'bad year', they jack up rates for everybody. :(

Are you saying that bad drivers (which includes drunk drivers) do not pay more for car insurance--if they are even so lucky as to be able to get it--than drivers who have wreck-free records? If so, I beg to differ.

Please beat us smokers with a wet noodle, and just let us all die in peace....

We don't put you all down.........
We pay the higher taxes, and the higher insurance premiums,
we have to go outside, like we have the plague,
we are shunned, shamed, told we stink.......
what more do you want to do to us????

We still LOVE ya all.........

WHO will be next........????

Hope you all aren't in that NEXT GROUP.......

OH THAT'S RIGHT........
THEIR TARGERTING FAT PEOPLE.......

OH, OH??

FAT PEOPLE.....better watch out........

There after you now...........

Don't take it seriously...........????????????

See what they have done too smokers....?????

I'm going to have to explore buying them online----TX just layed a $1 a PACK tax on em that starts Jan 1. Assholes.

Very soon, the libs will be entering my home, checking the contents of the refrigerator and the pantry, and issuing tickets for all the "unhealthy" and "bad" food in my home

After all, the libs are so much smarter then the rest of us

Don't think so?

Just ask them and they will tell you so

Very soon, the libs will be entering my ome, checking the contents of the refrigerator and the pantry, and issuing tickets for all the "unhealthy" and "bad" food in my home

After all, the libs are so much smarter then the rest of us

Don't think so?

Just ask them and they will tell you so

Your a fool....
I'm a fool, if you don't think it won't happen?

THEY all know better than the rest of US.........:nine:

New Topics

Forum List

Back