The High Cost of Smoking

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    The High Cost of Smoking
    By Hilary Smith for MSN Money Central

If the threat of cancer can't persuade you to quit smoking, maybe the prospect of poverty will.

The financial consequences of lighting up stretch far beyond the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Smokers pay more for insurance and lose money on the resale value of their cars and homes. They spend extra on dry cleaning and teeth cleaning. Long term, they earn less and receive less in pension and Social Security benefits.

And now, being a smoker can not only mean you don't get hired -- you can get fired, too: Weyco, a medical benefits administrator in Okemos, Mich., after announcing it would no longer employ smokers, fired four employees who refused to submit to a breath test. Recently it began testing the spouses of its employees, too, levying a $180-a-month surcharge on those who don't test clean.

The National Workrights Institute estimates that more than 6,000 companies refuse to hire smokers. A few examples:

for full article:
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourHealth/HighCostOfSmoking.aspx

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Awesome! As soon as they get done with smokers we can start on the alchys and then the fatties. Can't wait until we start purging society of extreme sports too. Oh, and don't forget the elective surgery bunch too!

We will have Utopia yet, no matter what the cost!

3. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    That doesn't mention what it does to your looks. It makes the skin brittle, aging the average woman by 10-15 years. It's worse than constant sun tanning.

4. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    $6/ day habit @ 6% annual interest for 45 years = $506,493.62. You really have to like those things to pay that kind of money.:alco:

5. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Lets say everyone quit smoking - do you really think the local, state, and federal government would go without all the tax revenue?

Smokers keep your taxes low and since they die younger - they save Social Security lots of money as well

Smoking is legal so lay off the anti smoking crap

6. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    The post was not intended as "anti-smoking crap." A few posters had indicated that smokers were probably already paying higher premiums for health insurance, so I went looking to see if I could find some information on that. I'm not a smoker--having watched my father die of his smoking habit--so I'm not "in the know" about anything regarding smoking. At any rate, I found that it was true that smokers pay more for health insurance; it's just that the article contained a whole lot more information than just health insurance premiums. The article contained information I would be interested in if I were a smoker.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I wonder how much CAR ACCIDENTS cost society? Let's outlaw EVERYTHING which has the potential to be dangerous, eh? :(

8. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah but you know I could roll my own for 1/2 the price. It is a loosing battle one I've beat for over ten years so let them raise the taxes.:thewave:

9. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Bad drivers are a health and property risk, so they pay more for car insurance, just like smokers pay more for health insurance.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Not really - we ALL pay more for car insurance because of wrecks...not just 'bad drivers'. When a company has a 'bad year', they jack up rates for everybody. :(