The High Cost of Political Gay-Bashing

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
Michelangelo Signorile: The High Cost of Political Gay-Bashing

It might now dawn on some evangelical voters to ask: If Rick Perry truly believes open gays shouldn't serve in the military why does he appear to believe they can serve so close to him in his own campaign? And it's not like he's the only choice for the hard-core antigay crowd, as true believers Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum are vying for their votes as well. It's true that evangelicals have been stereotyped as being driven by one issue, and, like everyone else, the economy appears to be a driving factor in their election decisions too. No candidate is going to get by on "family values" alone.

But it's also true that the gay issue is no longer as potent for GOP politicians because more and more GOP moderates and independents aren't willing to go along with the antigay line. A few years ago the same kind of political gay-bashing Perry has engaged in worked like a charm for the GOP. When George W. Bush, ramping up for the 2004 election, pushed a federal marriage amendment - claiming we needed to "protect" marriage - it brought in the religious right crowd while obviously not disgusting moderates in the party enough to scare them off.

But now, Ken Mehlman, the man who orchestrated that strategy as both chair of the Republican National Committee and head of Bush's 2004 reelection campaign, is out of the closet and working in the party to gain support for marriage equality.

Perry isn't going to gay bash his way to the White House, the GOP will lose the social battle. I don't believe gays should openly serve but I wouldn't use that belief as a political weapon to draw the retard vote that is largely nonexistent.

80% of the country disagrees with both you and Perry.

Perry, in his pathetic desperation, was trying to carve out some of the radical, religious right wing support that goes mostly to Frothy Santorum and Bat-Shit crazy Bachmann. He failed.

He did succeed in making one of the most parodied videos in recent history. The "Brokeback Mountain" jacket was the kicker. :lol:

Perry hasn't got much of a chance. He's trying to make up for his missteps by pandering to the majority. This tactic will fail because he's unacceptable for other reasons. It will just give the gay advocates an excuse to say he lost because of gay bashing.

Michelangelo Signorile: The High Cost of Political Gay-Bashing

It might now dawn on some evangelical voters to ask: If Rick Perry truly believes open gays shouldn't serve in the military why does he appear to believe they can serve so close to him in his own campaign? And it's not like he's the only choice for the hard-core antigay crowd, as true believers Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum are vying for their votes as well. It's true that evangelicals have been stereotyped as being driven by one issue, and, like everyone else, the economy appears to be a driving factor in their election decisions too. No candidate is going to get by on "family values" alone.

But it's also true that the gay issue is no longer as potent for GOP politicians because more and more GOP moderates and independents aren't willing to go along with the antigay line. A few years ago the same kind of political gay-bashing Perry has engaged in worked like a charm for the GOP. When George W. Bush, ramping up for the 2004 election, pushed a federal marriage amendment - claiming we needed to "protect" marriage - it brought in the religious right crowd while obviously not disgusting moderates in the party enough to scare them off.

But now, Ken Mehlman, the man who orchestrated that strategy as both chair of the Republican National Committee and head of Bush's 2004 reelection campaign, is out of the closet and working in the party to gain support for marriage equality.

Perry isn't going to gay bash his way to the White House, the GOP will lose the social battle. I don't believe gays should openly serve but I wouldn't use that belief as a political weapon to draw the retard vote that is largely nonexistent.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that you wouldn't stand for your beliefs.

Perry hasn't got much of a chance. He's trying to make up for his missteps by pandering to the majority. This tactic will fail because he's unacceptable for other reasons. It will just give the gay advocates an excuse to say he lost because of gay bashing.

Time to wake up Rip Van Winkle. The "majority" don't think gays are icky and bash worthy anymore. The GnOP has lost one of their three "G"s. :lol:

He lost because he's a moron and too much like Bush (without the intellect and humility of Bush) :lol:

I'm in the military and have my reasons why gays shouldn't openly serve and my reasons are valid, I don't think the brass should force troops to accept a lifestyle they may deem sinful and wrong, basically whatever they do they should keep it to themselves but shit, the military has all kinds of people in it that shouldn't belong. Perry has no reason to bash gays other than to get retard votes from the far right evangelicals

Time to wake up Rip Van Winkle. The "majority" don't think gays are icky and bash worthy anymore. The GnOP has lost one of their three "G"s. :lol:

He lost because he's a moron and too much like Bush (without the intellect and humility of Bush) :lol:

Everywhere gay "rights" has come up for a vote, it loses, that includes ultra liberal California.

There are adjusted and weighted polls that get paid to reflect a different result, but those polls do not survive a vote.

Forum List

Back