The Heisman going the way of MLB Hall of Fame.

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
Sources: Trust to take Bush's Heisman - College Football - Rivals.com

The Heisman Trophy Trust is expected to strip former University of Southern California star running back Reggie Bush of college football’s top honor by the end of September, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Bush would become the first player in the 75-year history of the award to have the trophy taken away. The NCAA found major violations in the Trojans’ football program in June and levied serious sanctions against the school.

Two sources close to the Heisman trust said the body’s investigation is coming to a close, and will ultimately concur with the NCAA’s determination that Bush was ineligible during his Heisman-winning season in 2005. Because of that independent conclusion, sources said the trust will relieve Bush of the award and leave the honor for that season vacant. The sources said Bush met with Heisman representatives last month at the New York law offices of Emmet, Marvin & Martin. The sources would not reveal details of that meeting.

The Heisman Trophy is soon to go the way of Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame as a once prestigious honor to now becoming nothing but a worthless political piece of crap. Major League Baseball destroyed the Hall of Fame when it began playing politics with the inductees and decided to keep one of the greatest hitters in its history out of the HOF because current (at the time) officials did not like him, Pete Rose. Now, the Heisman Trophy Trust seeks to do the same thing with the 75 year old trophy that they have under their control.

If Reggie Bush had violated rules then he should not have won the trophy. However, the fact is that he did win the trophy and now the trust seeks to take it back, will make the trophy worthless in the future.

Was Reggie Bush the number one player in college football in 2005? That question is debatable as it always is when such an honor is given, but for crying out loud! It was awarded to him. Now they want to take it away from him and leave the honor vacant for the year?

I say the NCAA should punish the school for the violations starting now, but leave both the BCS Championship for that year and the Heisman Trophy alone.

I think taking the trophy back is the wrong move. My personal opinion is that if they do, the toy found in a Cracker Jacks box will be more valuable than future Heisman Trophies.

And! For the record, I am not a Reggie Bush fan. I have always liked USC, but not so much that I care about the championship or the Heisman.

Immie

I don't think they knew he had violated rules when he won the Heisman.

I am sure they did not. However, to go back now and say that he was not the number one player in college football, cheapens the trophy. I highly doubt USC is the only school that is guilty of such infractions.

Punish the school now that it has been determined that they violated the rules. It is too late to punish Reggie Bush. The history of the trophy will be dirtied if they take it away from him now.

Immie

I am sure they did not. However, to go back now and say that he was not the number one player in college football, cheapens the trophy. I highly doubt USC is the only school that is guilty of such infractions.

Punish the school now that it has been determined that they violated the rules. It is too late to punish Reggie Bush. The history of the trophy will be dirtied if they take it away from him now.

Immie

hmm How will it dirty the history if it is take away?
I agree that it is too late to punish Reggie. (and btw, I think they should just leave things alone)

Immie

You don't think the history of the trophy will be dirtied if they allow someone who did not follow the rules to be allowed to keep it? It wasn't just the school that broke the rules.

If he had sat out like he should have, as he was ineligible, he would not have gotten the chance. Winner or not.

Fruit of the poison tree so to speak.

I don't think the MLB hall of fame is cheapened becasue Rose had a gambling problem.

Last edited:

Immie

You don't think the history of the trophy will be dirtied if they allow someone who did not follow the rules to be allowed to keep it? It wasn't just the school that broke the rules.

I don't think it matters one way or the other now. And Reggie Bush is the only one with tarnished reputation in reality. The schools are presented with impossible tasks of trying to control these kids...most times poor kids..from parasitic agents.

If he had sat out like he should have, as he ineligible, he would not have gotten the chance. Winner or not.

Fruit of the poison tree so to speak.

I don't think the MLB hall of fame is cheapened becasue Rose had a gambling problem.

What do you mean ''sat out''??

Oh please, the Heisman has been tarnished for years. It isn't awarded to the best player and hasn't been for years. It is awarded to the most popular player as chosen by ESPN.

Oh please, the Heisman has been tarnished for years. It isn't awarded to the best player and hasn't been for years. It is awarded to the most popular player as chosen by ESPN.

The Heisman is usually given to the best football player who peaked too early in their football career.

I say the NCAA should punish the school for the violations starting now, but leave both the BCS Championship for that year and the Heisman Trophy alone.

I disagree completely. To punish this year's team for the actions of the team 5 years ago is completely unfair. The players 5 years ago should be punished, and the best the NCAA can do is strip them of their title and honors. The Heisman is one such honor.

It does not tarnish the name of the trophy. Was Reggie Bush the best player? Maybe. The voters of the award seemed to think so. However, he did not follow the rules, and based on that fact, I doubt the voters would have given him the award in the first place. They can't retroactively vote for it, because opinions would be altered based on player's performance in subsequent years (rather in college or the NFL). Thus, that year's award is vacant.

I disagree completely. To punish this year's team for the actions of the team 5 years ago is completely unfair. The players 5 years ago should be punished, and the best the NCAA can do is strip them of their title and honors. The Heisman is one such honor.

It does not tarnish the name of the trophy. Was Reggie Bush the best player? Maybe. The voters of the award seemed to think so. However, he did not follow the rules, and based on that fact, I doubt the voters would have given him the award in the first place. They can't retroactively vote for it, because opinions would be altered based on player's performance in subsequent years (rather in college or the NFL). Thus, that year's award is vacant.

But that is how it happens. I see no reason to change it all of a sudden. Just like Bama won the NC in 1992...and during the celebration after the season Antonio Langham signed with an agent on a paper napkin in a bar...he was drunk celebrating.
The entire football program paid for it....years later.
I don't like it, and I think it sucks, and I despise the NCAA and their abuse of power..but until they change, it is what it is.

I do agree that the Heisman will not and has not been tarnished no matter which way things go. But, Bush didn't win the Heisman for off the field actions to start with.

Really? How does ESPN get all the voters across the country to vote how they want it?

But, Bush didn't win the Heisman for off the field actions to start with.

In order to drive my point home, I'm going to use an absurd example.

Let's pretend Obama was born in Kenya, and no one knew it until now. He was elected President in a fair election and has served in the role for 20 months. Suddenly, we discover that he was never eligible to be President in the first place. Do we let him serve out his term, or do we immediately remove him from office?

It's the same story. Bush's actions on the field were remarkable, but now we know that he never should have been on the field because he violated the rules. Thus, whatever accolades he's received from that performance are moot.

Really? How does ESPN get all the voters across the country to vote how they want it?

Really? ESPN controls who's seen by most voters. The year Tebow won the Heisman it was a close race, maybe DMac from Arkansas should have won it, BUT Tebow was on EPSN every 5 minutes and so that's who voters seen.

Really? ESPN controls who's seen by most voters. The year Tebow won the Heisman it was a close race, maybe DMac from Arkansas should have won it, BUT Tebow was on EPSN every 5 minutes and so that's who voters seen.

The people that I know of that had a vote, that I saw or heard discuss it weren't involved with ESPN...ie ESPN telling them who to vote for. They had enough brains to figure it out themselves.
Tebow deserved the Heisman. He is a great athlete.

You must not have seen the Escalade DMac was driving around when he was a student here. I'd be willing to bet he'd be in the same position Reggie Bush is in now.

Plus, mark that up to bad coaching. DMac was an outstanding athlete, but because his coach was an idiot and caused so much controversy that year, voters were turned off by our entire program. DMac was a victim of Nutt and Mustain's catfight from the year before, as well as Nutt's inability to coach a winning team.

Petrino is making a Heisman frontrunner out of someone as publicly appalling as Ryan Mallett. This kid is so obnoxious, it pains me to root for him. Unfortunately, I think Kellen Moore from Boise State will win the Heisman, unless Arkansas really can pull off a miracle win against Alabama.

But, Bush didn't win the Heisman for off the field actions to start with.

In order to drive my point home, I'm going to use an absurd example.

Let's pretend Obama was born in Kenya, and no one knew it until now. He was elected President in a fair election and has served in the role for 20 months. Suddenly, we discover that he was never eligible to be President in the first place. Do we let him serve out his term, or do we immediately remove him from office?

It's the same story. Bush's actions on the field were remarkable, but now we know that he never should have been on the field because he violated the rules. Thus, whatever accolades he's received from that performance are moot.

No offense intended but you are right, that is an absurd analogy. I DO get what you are saying. I am not advocating that he not be stripped of the Heisman...it is fine by me if he is. I am probably not making myself clear. :redface:

Also, in response to the OP, I would say that, if anything, they are trying to keep the Heisman from losing its prestige. The Bush debacle has been a major media discussion for several weeks now, and almost unanimously the public has responded that Bush was a cheater. If we allow one cheater to retain the title, how would that deter future players from cheating?

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Forum List

Back