The Heinous Sin of Profane Cursing and Swearing

I could get behind less public swearing especially by kids or teens who do so even with say an elderly lady around. And it probably isn't the off color words but more the disrespect for the older people in society. The other more insidious things and I think one of the banes of modern society is the cell phone and it's use in public. People of all ages have conversations in public loud enough to be heard around the block. Nobody wants to hear your inane phone calls. People even have conversations while sitting on the toilet in a public restrooms with all the disgusting bathroom sounds going on around them.

The cell phone with all it's positives is the proverbial double-edged sword. And this setting aside the affects of texting/talking while driving.
You've brought up some good points, Isaac. I am grieved when I hear young people using vile language in front of the elderly and children. Both the elderly and children should be protected from hearing corrupt speech.

I have witnessed young people cursing their parents and I do not find that it is any different than if they had physically assaulted their parents. Life and death is in the tongue. The same can be said about a parent who is screaming curse words at their child. Very damaging! If only they knew the damage they are doing!

I think about the children growing up in this generation a great deal. I pray that God protects them from the evil that has saturated our society to a degree unknown before.

There are some people who only use curse words when they are extremely angry. It may even be a righteous anger but the choice of words they are using destroy the message they are trying to convey. Who will listen to them if they insist on using foul language? Sometimes that truth takes a while to sink in.

There are others who cannot help but to use filthy language in every conversation they engage in and that is clearly a spirit of blasphemy. There is so much wickedness within their own heart that it pours out of their mouth every time it is opened. Again - it is a heart issue and their heart has to be changed in order to change what's coming out of them...

I don't use a cell phone but for those who do it would be wise not to use them when driving. Many people have been killed because of texting or talking on a cell phone while driving. There ought to be a law against it.

I could get behind less public swearing especially by kids or teens who do so even with say an elderly lady around. And it probably isn't the off color words but more the disrespect for the older people in society. The other more insidious things and I think one of the banes of modern society is the cell phone and it's use in public. People of all ages have conversations in public loud enough to be heard around the block. Nobody wants to hear your inane phone calls. People even have conversations while sitting on the toilet in a public restrooms with all the disgusting bathroom sounds going on around them.

The cell phone with all it's positives is the proverbial double-edged sword. And this setting aside the affects of texting/talking while driving.
You've brought up some good points, Isaac. I am grieved when I hear young people using vile language in front of the elderly and children. Both the elderly and children should be protected from hearing corrupt speech.

I have witnessed young people cursing their parents and I do not find that it is any different than if they had physically assaulted their parents. Life and death is in the tongue. The same can be said about a parent who is screaming curse words at their child. Very damaging! If only they knew the damage they are doing!

I think about the children growing up in this generation a great deal. I pray that God protects them from the evil that has saturated our society to a degree unknown before.

There are some people who only use curse words when they are extremely angry. It may even be a righteous anger but the choice of words they are using destroy the message they are trying to convey. Who will listen to them if they insist on using foul language? Sometimes that truth takes a while to sink in.

There are others who cannot help but to use filthy language in every conversation they engage in and that is clearly a spirit of blasphemy. There is so much wickedness within their own heart that it pours out of their mouth every time it is opened. Again - it is a heart issue and their heart has to be changed in order to change what's coming out of them...

I don't use a cell phone but for those who do it would be wise not to use them when driving. Many people have been killed because of texting or talking on a cell phone while driving. There ought to be a law against it.

Yes I agree about language around children as well. You can search youtube and type in "Public freak outs" and get hours of video of people screaming and fighting with their own children there or sometimes they are even asking their young children to join in. It is just sad and disgusting. There are also, though, many videos where these obnoxious people get theirs either from bystanders or when the police show up and they 'aren't cooperative'.

"I don't swear just for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands."

Yes I agree about language around children as well. You can search youtube and type in "Public freak outs" and get hours of video of people screaming and fighting with their own children there or sometimes they are even asking their young children to join in. It is just sad and disgusting. There are also, though, many videos where these obnoxious people get theirs either from bystanders or when the police show up and they 'aren't cooperative'.
That's why I'm praying for children in this world wherever they are. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the abuse children in this world are suffering with - every single day! Imagine being a helpless child stuck living with some time bomb. God have mercy. What has this world become?

It's far more prevalent than people realize. Consider that there are parents who play the most vile music / lyrics in front of their children and where can these little one's go?

They are stuck in a car or in a house listening to satanic music or horror movies that their parents enjoy and it's causing a lot of damage. It is as if the parents are completely oblivious to what they are doing to their children.

This past year I did confront someone who was cursing in front of their child and said, What are you doing? What are you doing? Stop it right now! I remember years ago I saw a woman in a store grab her young child by the ear and drag him! I cannot remember my exact words but I said to her in so many words, That is child abuse! I looked at her wondering if she was insane and she seemed to be convicted by my words. I pray to God it changed her behavior towards her child.

I believe sometimes public humiliation may be the only thing we can do, Isaac. To stand by and do nothing is not an option. I've got to say something or I'd be living with the guilt of not having spoken up. The consequences of not saying anything are greater than speaking up. If they go crazy it won't be anything I haven't dealt with before. I'm alright with it.

It's not unusual for people to listen to a stranger before they would anyone else. We've actually got a stronger chance of waking them up in some cases.

Jeremiah has her own profanity. A profanity of her soul

That is why she will be denied entrance into the kingdom of God

Colossians Chapter 3 verses 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 outline what the believer should not be doing - among these are anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication.....

Colossians 3 King James Version (KJV)

3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.

22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

Last edited:
God to Jeremiah........you are fucking crazy if you think you are getting into heaven

Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.

But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.

But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord: he is their strength in the time of trouble.
Psalm 37:37-39

On USMB there is an ignore feature. Use it for those who seek to draw you into vain arguments and filthy communication. It's better than reading or looking at their godless chatter

I take it you have me on ignore. This is the equivalent of burying your head in the sand. If you never read any criticism of your views you will remain self deluded.
You're confused. This thread is for you to read what is posted here. That doesn't require my responding to your posts. If I choose to respond to a comment, I will. This isn't a conversation thread. It's a message thread delivering a timely sermon from George Whitfield.

Read.

On USMB there is an ignore feature. Use it for those who seek to draw you into vain arguments and filthy communication. It's better than reading or looking at their godless chatter

I take it you have me on ignore. This is the equivalent of burying your head in the sand. If you never read any criticism of your views you will remain self deluded.
You're confused. This thread is for you to read what is posted here. That doesn't require my responding to your posts. If I choose to respond to a comment, I will. This isn't a conversation thread. It's a message thread delivering a timely sermon from George Whitfield.

Read.

Another spammer leaving messages on a discussion forum. You have to expect criticism on this forum.

I would welcome your comments on my thread ' Bible criticism' I started it because of you.

God to Jeremiah........you are fucking crazy if you think you are getting into heaven
God does not want any part of Jeremiah

She believes:

God gave Jimmy Carter brain cancer to punish him for supporting gay marriage

Catholics will go to hell because they don't meet her standards as Christians

Jeremiah’s profanity is the arrogance of religious authoritarianism, the desire to compel conformity to errant, subjective Christian dogma through force of law, and to seek to disadvantage those who refuse to conform to that religious extremism.

Jeremiah’s profanity is the arrogance of religious authoritarianism, the desire to compel conformity to errant, subjective Christian dogma through force of law, and to seek to disadvantage those who refuse to conform to that religious extremism.
Clayton,what you suggest is impossible. I do not even understand what exactly it is you are suggesting. I am not educated in the language you have written here. Therein I do not understand your point. It sounds as if you are crediting me with George Whitfield's sermon and if that be the case I can assure you I am no George Whitfield! I'm laughing out loud right now at the very idea of it!

I'm a below (emphasis below) average ordinary person who depends on the Lord for my help in finding good sermons and quoting Scripture. The Holy Spirit brings to my remembrance Scriptures in response to much of what you and your friends try to refute God's Word with. Otherwise it would be impossible for me to do it. I simply do not have that ability on my own.

I have never had such ability as you seem to be suggesting. I was a below average student in school and don't have any degrees other than a G.E.D. which I got in a drug rehab before I became a born again Christian. (that was decades ago) I know the Word of God from reading it but it is the Lord that brings a Scripture to my mind when someone here is trying to attack God's Word.

It is the Word of God you are striving against here. Not me.

Forum List

Back