The Growing Rebellion Within Occupy Wall Street

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
To paraphrase the great American production "The Music Man"... There's trouble in Tent City. Ironically, it could be described as a growing feud between the "Haves & Have-Nots".
Those of you who have read my posts, know that I support the political agenda that has evolved from the OWS Movement.
I am grateful for those who started out in tents and banging drums. I truly am.
But the movement grew beyond the tents quickly. There was an article that showed dozens of arrested protesters live in luxury homes and neighborhoods. While those who are blinded by political ideology used the opportunity to claim the entire movement was "hypocrites", they also claim there are no Occupiers who live in homes at all - let alone luxury homes. Thus is the logic of the politically manipulated.
These are the people who are starting the rebellion. The "Home Occupiers."
During the last General Assembly, I talked about having a clear message, clearly defined goals, leaders and an action plan. Maybe a bit more than a third, perked up and were nodding enthusiastically. About half were crossing their arms, shaking their head no and several interrupted me. The rest were neutral.
So afterward, several people came up to me to express their thanks etc... Turned out we all had several things in common:
We have jobs or those I met who don't are obviously making an effort to get them.
We usually have families at home.
We have clearly identified several problems we feel have gotten out of hand.
We have identified several steps that could be taken to correct things.
We love capitalism! (But are not necessarily fans of building an economy that is supported almost exclusive by consumerism).

Those who consistently oppose this element of the movement known as "Home Occupiers"?
Few have jobs and seem less enthused about looking for them than Home Occupiers.
They are usually (but not always) younger - although many Home Occupiers are young.
They're usually single and almost never parents.
They know something has gone terribly wrong with our country but usually aren't able to intelligently articulate specifics.
Their ideas of how to address our problems are nebulous, at best and sometimes non-existent.
I haven't met anyone who actually wants to end capitalism but I'm not in New York and I'm sure there are people there who actually condone that idea - although they have no idea what they would replace it with.

Of course, any time the MSM interviews a Home Occupier, that segment is cut and replaced with the segment featuring a guy with dreadlocks lighting up a bong.

But the Tent Occupiers were the ones who started the movement, who made the wake up call, so they feel like they own it - and I have to admit, it is a legitimate sentiment. I can't fault them for it, even if they fault me and those like for for outgrowing the "drum-baning phase" of the movement.

What will happen? I've been talking with GA's (General Assemblies) and other occupiers around the country. There are a least three groups that are splintering off to start movements that are solely political. More will probably emerge and eventually combine to form something akin to the Tea Party but hopefully, more effective and not associated with candidates like Michele Bachmann, Christine O'Donnell or Sharon Angle. Seriously, we could do better than that if we ran a beagle dressed in a suit and tie - but not if we ran a guy with dreadlocks and a bong in his hand...

Schisms are common with this sort of thing. Those of us who have people counting on us to bring home an income have to do what we can.

The tea party allowed special interests and lobbyists to hijack their movement, if I smell anything similar in OWS I will dump them like rotten garbage.

The tea party allowed special interests and lobbyists to hijack their movement, if I smell anything similar in OWS I will dump them like rotten garbage.

That's freaking hilarious. Especially considering OWS was created by Special interest groups to begin with.

BTW, there is nothing inherently wrong with special interest groups. They are groups of people banding together to influence their representatives. They were designed to be part of the system.

That's freaking hilarious. Especially considering OWS was created by Special interest groups to begin with.

BTW, there is nothing inherently wrong with special interest groups. They are groups of people banding together to influence their representatives. They were designed to be part of the system.

If they give up their focus on Wall Street and become just a means to elect the same old do nothing democrats I will dump them and that is a promise.

If they give up their focus on Wall Street and become just a means to elect the same old do nothing democrats I will dump them and that is a promise.

Their focus is revolution. I dont think you have much to worry about.

That schism in OWS reflects the same tension within the democratic party.

There are people seeking reform and then there are folks with more radical solutions.

The TPM appeared to have the same kind of schism.

Those ignorant cock sucking fools don't know dick...

Apparently they're ignorant to the Fifth Amendment while they champion the First???

They're shit, they're nothing......

I'm a libertarian that hates the FED, the cops etc... However I don't work that way... I'm not a fagot communist either...

I will do everything in my power to make life difficult on OWS....

Van Jones Reveals Future of Occupy Wall St: ‘You Haven’t Seen Anything Yet’

Jones said the movement is “going to be recruiting 2,000 candidates to run for office now under this 99 percent banner“ as Occupy Wall Street enters ”phase two.”

“We’ve learned that leader-centered movements don’t work. This is about a leader-ful movement. It’s not leaderless. It’s leader centric. It’s leader-ful,” he said.

Van Jones on Occupy Wall Street: ‘You Haven’t Seen Anything Yet’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

I clicked on the "Growing Rebellions Within OWS" thread.........expecting to see commercials for Gillette Razors, Irish Spring Soap, and a "Now Hiring" sign.

Apparently they're ignorant to the Fifth Amendment while they champion the First???

I'm a libertarian that hates the FED, the cops etc... However I don't work that way... I'm not a fagot communist either...

LOL! All too predictible that you and the ConservaDrones would have nothing intelligent or on topic to post.

That's fine junior. We all know that the little 6th grade bs is all you've got. Issues? Nah. Insufficient intellect for that.

Hey, want me to tell you your opinion on the lastest current events little drone? On any of a couple dozen, unrelated political issues? It's not like you have any opinions of your own....

Van Jones Reveals Future of Occupy Wall St: ‘You Haven’t Seen Anything Yet’

Jones said the movement is “going to be recruiting 2,000 candidates to run for office now under this 99 percent banner“ as Occupy Wall Street enters ”phase two.”

“We’ve learned that leader-centered movements don’t work. This is about a leader-ful movement. It’s not leaderless. It’s leader centric. It’s leader-ful,” he said.

Van Jones on Occupy Wall Street: ‘You Haven’t Seen Anything Yet’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

Thanks for posting this. Didn't see the video but the transcript is similar to the rebellion described. The Tent Occupiers are just plagued with a lot of bad element and damaged goods.
It is the political movement that as mentioned in the OP, is splintering off and voicing solid concerns and issues.
Of course idiots and the politically blinded won't want to deal with those issue things....

Someone is a big tough guy on the internet.

Forum List

Back