The greatest security threat America faces

:badgrin:sure we are buddy.

hahaha.
American Solutions - RAND: U.S. Oil Shale Resources Are Three Times Larger Than the Current Oil Reserves in Saudi Arabia
The most startling Congressional prohibition on domestic oil production concerns the recently enacted ban on the development of oil shale resources in parts of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming in the Green River Formation. According to a Rand Study estimate, this reserve contains over one trillion barrels of oil, with 800 billion barrels fully recoverable, or three times the current oil reserves as Saudi Arabia:

The largest known oil shale deposits in the world are in the Green River Formation, which covers portions of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Estimates of the oil resource in place within the Green River Formation range from 1.5 to 1.8 trillion barrels. Not all resources in place are recoverable. For potentially recoverable oil shale resources, we roughly derive an upper bound of 1.1 trillion barrels of oil and a lower bound of about 500 billion barrels. For policy planning purposes, it is enough to know that any amount in this range is very high. For example, the midpoint in our estimate range, 800 billion barrels, is more than triple the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia. Present U.S. demand for petroleum products is about 20 million barrels per day. If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, 800 billion barrels of recoverable resources would last for more than 400 years.

Lmao...

American Solutions - RAND: U.S. Oil Shale Resources Are Three Times Larger Than the Current Oil Reserves in Saudi Arabia
The most startling Congressional prohibition on domestic oil production concerns the recently enacted ban on the development of oil shale resources in parts of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming in the Green River Formation. According to a Rand Study estimate, this reserve contains over one trillion barrels of oil, with 800 billion barrels fully recoverable, or three times the current oil reserves as Saudi Arabia:

The largest known oil shale deposits in the world are in the Green River Formation, which covers portions of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Estimates of the oil resource in place within the Green River Formation range from 1.5 to 1.8 trillion barrels. Not all resources in place are recoverable. For potentially recoverable oil shale resources, we roughly derive an upper bound of 1.1 trillion barrels of oil and a lower bound of about 500 billion barrels. For policy planning purposes, it is enough to know that any amount in this range is very high. For example, the midpoint in our estimate range, 800 billion barrels, is more than triple the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia. Present U.S. demand for petroleum products is about 20 million barrels per day. If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, 800 billion barrels of recoverable resources would last for more than 400 years.

Lmao...

jreeves, while I appreciate the fact that you're all for North America exploiting all of the resources we have on hand, all the research I've shown has indicated that there is going to be quite a lot of difficulty exploiting the shale and sand deposits. It takes a much larger investment in the refining process to extract usable crude from these sources, particularly when compared to the light sweet crude under the surface in most Middle Eastern nations.

When you combine the difficulty of getting these operations up and running with the drastic increase in demand we're going to continue to see in China and India, the main problem becomes not how many actual barrels are recoverable, but the rate at which production can be increased to meet demand. I think we're running on a treadmill and steadily losing ground...

jreeves, while I appreciate the fact that you're all for North America exploiting all of the resources we have on hand, all the research I've shown has indicated that there is going to be quite a lot of difficulty exploiting the shale and sand deposits. It takes a much larger investment in the refining process to extract usable crude from these sources, particularly when compared to the light sweet crude under the surface in most Middle Eastern nations.

When you combine the difficulty of getting these operations up and running with the drastic increase in demand we're going to continue to see in China and India, the main problem becomes not how many actual barrels are recoverable, but the rate at which production can be increased to meet demand. I think we're running on a treadmill and steadily losing ground...

Sorry I haven't seen any research?

Sorry I haven't seen any research?

Here, you might be interested in this article:
The Oil Drum | "Oil Shale Development Imminent"

The article basically talks about how the heating process used to develop usable oil from shale and sand deposits is prohibitively cost ineffective, even with the way things are going price-wise.

Once again, I'd like to reiterate that the problem isn't proven reserves, its whether our rate of production can continue to increase fast enough to support our economy, which is fueled by access to CHEAP petroleum products.

I believe that article is a few years old, so if there's been some sort of breakthrough I certainly stand corrected.

Forum List

Back