The Greatest Pop/Rock Performer of the late 60’s/early 70’s

Which do you think is the greatest pop/rock performer of the late 60’s/early 70’s…?

• Total voters
Zeppelin, and as a matter of personal taste I always thought Hendrix was overrated. He was good, great even, but I just never understood his legendary status. :dunno:

Zeppelin I believe was recognized by the r&r hof as the best live act, but thats kinda iffy in that I saw them several times but I cannot rate them better than say PF of 73/75 either...its a matter of personal taste in the end.

Zeppelin, and as a matter of personal taste I always thought Hendrix was overrated. He was good, great even, but I just never understood his legendary status. :dunno:

hummm, he had to play a righty guitar strung backwards, he was phenomenally extemporaneous and had a clarity , quickness and tone that was one of a kind I think...*shrugs*

a li’l poll I thought I’d put up…

my apologies for the short list… I’m limited to 10 answer options…
none of them are Pop......they are all either Rock or Hard Rock.....if you put the Archies in there you may have a winner....

'k smartguy... I felt obliged to include the term "pop" because I felt obliged to include the Beatles... who pretty much left rock 'n roll with Sergeant Peppers... but who were admittedly still a dominant force on the R'n'R scene...

glad to know you appreciate Zep... but you obviously still have much to learn, grasshopper...

My opinion is irrelevant since I played the game.
Statistically I'd go with Eric Clapton. He has always been the comeback kid.
Carlos Santana is a close second.

My opinion is irrelevant since I played the game.
Statistically I'd go with Eric Clapton. He has always been the comeback kid.
Carlos Santana is a close second.

Clapton and Santana are both good choices...

I woulda stuck 'em in the poll if I'd had more'n 10 slots...

There were many guys that were as good, or better, but didn't have the focus or promoters to achieve "greatness" through the status quo. Financial that is. G
ary Wright and Stephen Stills first come to mind.
Chris Cross was another but he was more interested in race cars.
Peter Frampton was another but was limited in story telling. He could have blown out any of the late seventies guitarists (including Van Halen) but is/was a stubborn man.
Ronnie Montrose is/was another. I'll still talk ( email) him every few years.
His X was a gal I talked to quite often, an equestrian artist which I commissioned with some work.
To many of these guys it isn't about commercial viability. It's doing whatever you really want to do and not sweating the numbers.They won't starve.
True artists.
Old guys now. Traditional values.

Carpenters. Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Mike Curb, Chicago, Abba.

I actually liked the Beatles stuff that wasn't Beetles like. Things like Yesterday.

Carpenters. Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Mike Curb, Chicago, Abba.

I actually liked the Beatles stuff that wasn't Beetles like. Things like Yesterday.

I like you BM... and I sorta like some of your choices... I only want to point out that Abba didn't come into the picture until the mid 70's... and that Mike Curb sucked monkey balls...

Forum List

Back