The Greatest Man You've Never Heard of

Clearly, I didn't put the proper title in this thread. I should have titled it something like "Greenpeace responsible for the deaths of a billion people" or something alarmist like that. I forgot the fundamental principal of message board thread headline writing - to attract attention, make it as inflammatory as possible!

Norman Borlaug, the man who saved more human lives than anyone else in history, has died at age 95. Borlaug was the Father of the Green Revolution, the dramatic improvement in agricultural productivity that swept the globe in the 1960s. For spearheading this achievement, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970.

Hit & Run > Norman Borlaug: The Man Who Saved More Human Lives Than Any Other Has Died - Reason Magazine

Should of included Obama and ACORN. :lol:

Trust me, I know how some important issues or people get ignored for the bullshit. As for this man, he was a great man. I remember when he died and I read up on him extensively. I thought it was amazing how little attention that such a great person in history got. He literally changed history.

Clearly, I didn't put the proper title in this thread. I should have titled it something like "Greenpeace responsible for the deaths of a billion people" or something alarmist like that. I forgot the fundamental principal of message board thread headline writing - to attract attention, make it as inflammatory as possible!

Norman Borlaug, the man who saved more human lives than anyone else in history, has died at age 95. Borlaug was the Father of the Green Revolution, the dramatic improvement in agricultural productivity that swept the globe in the 1960s. For spearheading this achievement, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970.

Hit & Run > Norman Borlaug: The Man Who Saved More Human Lives Than Any Other Has Died - Reason Magazine

sometimes it's difficult to hear quiet things among all the din.

thanks for posting this. he was a great man....

Died this month.

Norm Borlaug won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in food sciences.

He is the father of genetically-modified food, and may be the singular person most responsible for decreasing hunger in the world.

Penn & Teller are assholes, but they make a great point in this clip.

[youtube]tIvNopv9Pa8[/youtube]
He is also did something with wheat for this area, many farmers around here owe him a lot. :)

this is from the local paper, it explains what he did with the wheat.

He worked with renowned Washington State University wheat scientist Orville Vogel to “ensure people around the world had bread to eat,” said R. James Cook, WSU professor emeritus and wheat researcher who worked with and knew both men.

“When you drive though the Palouse and look at all those beautiful fields of wheat, know this: It didn’t happen by accident. It happened because of men like Norm Borlaug and Orville Vogel.”

The two engaged in a sort of competitive camaraderie during the 1950s that launched agriculture’s Green Revolution.

Borlaug achieved most of the fame for his work developing high-yielding crop varieties – especially wheat and rice – that were planted in countries on the verge of famine such as India and Mexico. Vogel developed similar wheat for the optimal growing conditions of the Pacific Northwest.

The two built upon established research that wheat fed with nitrogen-rich chemical fertilizers delivered higher yields. The problem was that the tall wheat stalk would topple under the weight of the heavier head of kernels.

Borlaug’s amber legacy | Spokesman.com | Sep 15, 2009

You can't study genetics without studying the Science of Evolution.

Now that rdean, is the biggest load of crap you've posted since you've been here and that covers some amazingly purblind virtually lunatic stuff. People were doing genetics for thousands of years before anyone ever heard of Darwin.

Bourlag is great the only detractors are the lunatic fringe of the green movement.

Now that rdean, is the biggest load of crap you've posted since you've been here and that covers some amazingly purblind virtually lunatic stuff. People were doing genetics for thousands of years before anyone ever heard of Darwin.

Bourlag is great the only detractors are the lunatic fringe of the green movement.

Thousands of years?

How can people be so incredibly ignorant? In this country?

Died this month.

Norm Borlaug won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in food sciences.

He is the father of genetically-modified food, and may be the singular person most responsible for decreasing hunger in the world.

Penn & Teller are assholes, but they make a great point in this clip.

[youtube]tIvNopv9Pa8[/youtube]
i totally agree with Penn & Teller on this one

and this man was truly a gift to the world

Thousands of years?

How can people be so incredibly ignorant? In this country?
you are proof of it

People were doing husbandry for thousands of years. But if you deny evolution, then you deny the science of genetics since it absoutely is the strongest evidence of evolution available. You should be advocating the banning of genetic material as evidence in trials since the same types of genetic markers that allow for positive confirmation prove conclusively that humans and other apes descended from a common ancestor. Be consistent.

And yes, GE crops are a wonderful thing. The fringe of the right and left have a lack of rational thinkers. Opposition to GE crops is on the same level of pseudo-scientific woo as opposition to vaccinations. Both are loonies who would cause more harm than good if their beliefs spread.

Nonsense N4m. No one doubts small minute changes occur naturally over time within species. No one doubts natural selection. What is doubted sir is the capability of natural selection to produce the sort of whole sale changes necessary to get from The Cretaceous land bound mammals the size of a large rat to something the size of a sperm whale in little more than 30 million years.

Nonsense N4m. No one doubts small minute changes occur naturally over time within species. No one doubts natural selection. What is doubted sir is the capability of natural selection to produce the sort of whole sale changes necessary to get from The Cretaceous land bound mammals the size of a large rat to something the size of a sperm whale in little more than 30 million years.

LOL. Uh, Gary, the Creteceous ended some 65 million years ago with a rather large bang. And evolution does act rather quickly when the scale in in millions of years. The knowledge that we now have concerning genetic leaves no doubt as to what evolved from what. You belong to a species less than 200,000 years old.

The only people that are concerned with the nuance in terms like "macro-evolution" versus "micro-evolution" are the anti-evolution crowd that is desperately trying to mount some sort of final stand.

The rest of us "get it" and are unconcerned.

Feel free to propose a scientifically valid counter theory to evolution though. I am sure the Discovery Institute will be interested in it since "Intelligent Design" is now considered to be a complete joke.

Forum List

Back