The greatest health care system in the world

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Skeptik, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Skeptik

Skeptik Astute observer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    has come to this:

People who worked, raised their children, put money away, tried to be responsible, now have nowhere to turn to. Those who are on welfare, of course, can still get medical care.

What a sorry situation. There has to be a better way.

2. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,121
    The Canadian Healthcare System has been demonized for over a decade by the US Healthcare industry. They are sooo afraid that we are going to adopt a similar solution.

We need to start listening to Canadians on how they like their healthcare. Stop listening to the GOP and US Healthcare giants. Of course they like the status quo.

And we don't have to do it exactly like the Canadians did it.

But we need to fix the system we have.

Single-Payer FAQ | Physicians for a National Health Program

3. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Without reading the 4 pages in the article, can't she apply for Medicaid? Was that mentioned?

4. RoadVirus

RoadVirus <insert pithy title here>

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +583
    I have only 2 problems with Universal Healthcare.

1. The government sucks at running things
    2. The cost

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Skeptik

Skeptik Astute observer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have never yet seen a post from a Canadian, a Brit, or anyone else who lives in a nation with universal care, saying that they wished that their nation had the same kind of system we have in the US, never on this or any other forum.

Maybe I just missed it. There must be one, somewhere, who would ditch their universal care for a US style health care system.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Nor an Australian. Your system sucks, sorry, but that's how it's seen from here. Now before heads explode, I said, your health system sucks.

7. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Caffeine Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Cost wouldn't necessarily be higher. Uninsured people largely miss out on preventive care, which saves money for the whole system in the long run. Until we start letting irresponsible people die in emergency rooms (I am opposed to that), universal healthcare will be cheaper. The private system may be good at generating profit for its shareholders, but it is not ideal for improving health outcomes. A lot of the efficacy of universal healthcare hinges upon it being done right. The VHA was held up as an example of government ineptitude for many years, but for the last decade or so has done significantly better than the private sector after implementing electronic medical records, evidence-based formulary, etc.

That said, I think we should draw on the experiences of all of the relatively successful countries of the world in revamping our health care system. I don't think I'd rate Canada's as anywhere near the best. If I had to pick a few to get started I'd look at the French and Japanese.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    We have numerous national models for a HC system that work better than our system currently does.

We do not implement any of those superior system because the vested interests idominating HC (and HC insurance) have enough influence in Congress to prevent it.

We pay more money for our failing HC delivery system than any people in the first world pay for their systems which give their nations far better outcomes.

Any of you who think this system is working are NOT paying attention to our national health care statistics.

Our system STINKS to high heaven because the MARKET cannot, will not do a agood job.

Supply/demand market forces do not work in the efficient way in HC delievery systems like they do in the case of widgets.

9. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    You've got backwards. The system STINKS to high heaven because the GOVERNMENT is putting too many restrictions on the system AND out-of-control malpractice lawsuits drive the costs sky high. The MARKET can do a better job, but CONGRESS is too involved.

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    There are some places that market forces shouldn't be allowed to operate and health care is one of those places. The reason is that health care shouldn't be treated as a commodity.

If it's treated as a commodity then it means that it will be subject to the laws of supply and demand and when the laws of supply and demand operate it means that some people will miss out on the benefits of the commodity.

Since health care should be available to all it shouldn't be treated as a commodity.