The Greatest Canadian

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Isaac Brock, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Inspired by CBC's Greatest Canadian show on Sunday night, who do you believe is the greatest Canadian? I suppose the question is more directed to Said, Marbles and the other Canadians but if you have an list, go for it.

My top 5 in no particular order:

David Suzuki - Reknown naturalist, environmentalist and educator
    http://collections.ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/volume6/224-225.htm

Lester B. Pearson - Father of the Peacekeeping movement, Canada's flag and universal medicare system
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Bowles_Pearson

The Unknown Soldier - A soldier, for all soldiers who have died, anonymously, but not forgotten
    http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=Memorials/tomb/thetomb

Louis Riel - Defender of the rights of Westerners, French, Metis and Native peoples
    http://library.usask.ca/northwest/background/riel.htm

Frederick Banting - Inventor of insulin, Painter and Soldier
    http://www.surgical-tutor.org.uk/default-home.htm?surgeons/banting.htm~right

Link:
    http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Mary Walsh is one of my favorite Canadians. She may not be the greatest, but she sure as hell is funny!

3. Isaac Brock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    When she does Dakey Dunn "Male Correspondant" on 22 Minutes, it kills me. Her pick was Frederick Banting, go figure.

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Do y'all mind if a Yank weighs in? Some of my favorite Canadian contributors to popular culture:

John Candy - this guy could reduce me to helpless laughter with one look. And yet there was a gentleness to his humor, along with impeccable comedic timing. He is greatly missed.

The Guess Who - this 60's and 70's rock band was light years ahead of it's time. I know I've got some fellow guitar-heads on the board. Try to decipher the chord progressions on "Undun", "These Eyes", and "No Time Left for You". These guys were insane.

Gordon Lightfoot and Joni Mitchell - The beauty of their music speaks for itself.

Jim Carrey - Some comedians raise the bar. This guy just threw it out a 20-story window.

I sure don't mean to trivialize the poll, but these folks have all brought me great pleasure.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    If i may participate please... (or at least be tolerated/humored)

my vote goes to Romeo Dallaire, at a time when Canada's place in the world is unclear, when its military is fading and buckling under underfunding and poor management, when some of its people (as i've posted earlier) feel it is in a rut of sorts... he's showing you all how great you can be, despite immense personal and professional tragedy.

he's been challenging your great nation to be great again, to be a remarkable world leader, to be a tremendous and vital member of the free world in an age of terror, oppression and mass murder.

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I thought of him right after I posted Mary Walsh, and was going to post something this morning, but again, you beat me to it! Thanks, I share your sentiments.:)

7. MrMarbles

MrMarbles Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I enjoyed those who weren't Canadian but still were on the list, ironically it was for fighting the US, Techumseh (spelling) and Isaac Brock.

Out oF the top ten, Sir John A., Tommy Douglas (fellow Canadians should of figured that), and Pearson.

I had personally voted for Jonh A. and Isaac Brock. The real Isaac Brock, no offense Isaac. Eeek confusing! :eek2:

8. MrMarbles

MrMarbles Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I can't believe that my home town, Winnipeg alone got Hal Anderson on. I'll say it again, democracy just dosen't work. Or maybe it works to well sometimes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Isaac Brock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Excellent choice! I wasn't even aware that Dallaire was known outside our borders. Though I suppose you and him are both in the forces. I've heard him talk at my university and found him to be extremely humble, knowning his loss in Rwanda, but also extremely objective. It's a shame Canadians don't hear Romeo on our radar often enough.

10. Isaac Brock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I am the REAL Isaac Brock! Nobody will take Upper or Lower Canada on my watch, though i may have to let York burn again. Watch out Detroit! :D

I still say Isaac Brock shouldn't be on that list because he was British, through and through. Though, good call on Tommy Douglas. Without him or Pearson we wouldn't have medicare.