The Great Water Heist

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2009
We're already pretty far along down this path. Way back in 2005 I discovered the last of my land which I was planning to sell as a capital gain and use to draw from for my retirement was classed as part of the "Waters of Indiana"

Even though it had no permanent stream, just a low lying ditch, beginning at the top of a hill which only had water in it in heavy rains, it was regulated environmentally. It was/is now classed part of the natural drainage pattern of the state though its maybe a mile from any permanent stream. The bottom of that ditch, which is nothing more than a low swale, has an environment of it’s own with established microbiology. It can only be disturbed by mitigation somewhere else.

To sell my property, the buyer would have to protect that ditch by encompassing it with a "conservancy easement"

To cross it with a public road (to be built at his own expense which is always the case) the buyer would have to find a similar environment on someone else’s property in a degraded state, convince that property owner to allow them to correct the deficiency and then allow a "conservancy easement" to be laid over that ditch to replace the one which they intended to disturb by putting a drainage pipe in it's bottom; but not an equal amount of ditch but multiples of the amount to be disturbed so as to improve the overall environmental situation; not just to replace it in equal amounts.

Needless to say, not many buyers want property with so called "planning issues" like that laid over it, or to have to negotiate with a seperate property owner to be willing to impose the same state or affairs on their land. Because of the limited use permitted different from when I bought it in 1992, the value in my case dropped from $250K, the amount my original buyer offered in 2005, to only $100K which is what I got for it when it was finally sold as the site for a single home in 2008.

I got one lucky break: Bush’s tax cuts made that net profit capital gain a tax free event.

Last edited:
I'm confused as to what the objection is to protecting the water supply....

perhaps someone who's read the bill can tell me.
Jillian, Why don't you read the bill?
There's a link to it in the OP.

I find the same sort of language that I encountered in my own case in my post above: "The Waters of the United States" and "The Waters of Indiana," "Intermittent Streams" (read ditches there). The level of control this legislation establishes and exerts, though it sounds good and necessary, is just another case of 'ZERO TOLERANCE', and until that level of scrutiny impinges on your own life and your assets, you are sure to think it's a good thing; what could be wrong with protecting the water supply?

Read my post above Jillian. A "momentary" disturbance of a ditch will not even create an erosion problem if overseen properly, but by experiencing firsthand the types of demands which they can impose, I'm able to see right through their fine intentions.

Last edited:
I think the bottom line on this is that the government would control every drop of water from coast to coast (including offshore waters), anyone who has so much as a patch of water the size of a raindrop on their property will have to adhere to every environmental protection requirement to keep that raindrop clean and pure. It also involves many costs and/or taxes and fines to the property owners to resolve or clean up whatever environmental endangerment issue there is with so little as a single rabbit poop on their property.

It's a nightmare of staggering proportions.

Last edited:
I think the bottom line on this is that the government would control every drop of water from coast to coast (including offshore waters)...

That's the way it should be. The federal government should own every drop of water from sea to shining sea and then some. In fact, the federal government should own every square inch of land, everything above it and and everything below it. Private property in real estate should be tossed onto the trash heap of history. Land is too important to be controlled by self-interested individuals.

I think the bottom line on this is that the government would control every drop of water from coast to coast (including offshore waters)...

That's the way it should be. The federal government should own every drop of water from sea to shining sea and then some. In fact, the federal government should own every square inch of land, everything above it and and everything below it. Private property in real estate should be tossed onto the trash heap of history. Land is too important to be controlled by self-interested individuals.

Sounds like Communism comrade.

So?

What's your point?

The point is that this country was not founded on Communism or any other strangle-hold type of government. If you're so fond of Communism and hate this country so much, please feel free to leave.

The point is that this country was not founded on Communism or any other strangle-hold type of government. If you're so fond of Communism and hate this country so much, please feel free to leave.

Why should I leave?

I've got a better idea and want to share it with my countrymen.

So?

What's your point?

You have the right to voice your opinions.

You don't have the right to impose your opinions on the rest of us through action.

And the most amazing fact is that if you lived in a country that had the kind of control you like you would ether be in a Gulog or get a bullet in the back of your head.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back