Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Deliverance

Young Frankenstein

The Deer hunter

Star Wars
Jaws
Rocky
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
I'd take Jaws, Star Wars and Rocky off the list of 'great movies' as they are blockbusters intent on making cash and merchandise instead of truly great movies.

Especially Star Wars. By the time it was released in 1977, I had seen Midnight Cowboy, The Godfathers and One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (truly great films). Star Wars was marketed as a kid's movie.

I do remember Star Wars as the first time I was called 'sir'! Context is important here. I was a sophomore in college and drunk as about seven skunks. "Sir, I must insist you leave the theater"

It was still a 'sir'!

very good point. Had Lucas just left it alone with just the original classic Star Wars trilogy,it could be added there but he got greedy and and got away from what made the first two star wars films great."sadly A NEW HOPE AND EMPIRE STRIKES BACK are in a class by themselves in the star wars films."

He got greedy from what made those two films great which was great acting with the special effects playing backseat to those two films.He made sure the acting was just as great as the special effects were.

Starting with Jedi,that dissapeared with him only being concerned about special effects and yeah with Rocky, Stallone got greedy,he should have just left it as a trilogy and stopped there but he got greedy for the big bucks and stopped caring about good story telling starting with Rocky 4 only concerned about making money. Rocky 3 was the PERFECT way to end it all with him and Appollo going around in circles sparring with each other.that was the perefect way to go out and end it all.:mad-61:
Back in the mid seventies newspapers began running how much box office was made by the blockbuster movies. They seemed to ignore the critics and focused on the cash.

And what made that trend so disturbing was rhe great quality of films in the 70s. A film like Harold and Maude could get steam rolled by a blockbuster like Jaws. All the ink concentrated on the money makers and forgot the quality films.

It's odd, but in my humble opinion, great films seem to happen in odd numbered decades. The 1930s gave us Gone with the Wind, the Wizard of Oz, all the great Capra films, Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights and on and on.

The 1950s gave us On the Waterfront, all about Eve, Streetcar named Desire, Giant, A Place in the Sun and on and on.

The 1970s gave us the Godfather and the Godfather part 2, Apocalypse Now, Being There and Harold and Maude from Hal Ashby.

large_aPD0aD4yVoiwrZjVCpUBdGa1C0j.jpg

Forum List

Back