The Great Experiment is over.

You really need to read the decision sometime. You honestly think that it should be illegal for a group of people to buy advertising criticizing a politician 60 or 90 days before an election?
Ummm.....yes. :rolleyes: I don't want "the best government money can buy". Apparently, you do.

So you want people silenced. Got you.

See that's my problem with it. You can't silence people

So in your opinion a corporation, industry or cartel is a person, with all rights and responsibilities? If correct, shouldn't the CEO, CFO and each and every stockholder of Exxon Mobil be jailed for polluting the Yellowstone River?

You really need to read the decision sometime. You honestly think that it should be illegal for a group of people to buy advertising criticizing a politician 60 or 90 days before an election?

Anonymously? When the financial interests of the very same people (in the form of tax payer funded government contracts) depend on an elections outcome?

Yeah..I sure as heck do.

So you think everyone who is concerned about the economy should be silenced? Well, that's a bit unexpected.

I think if Raytheon is lobbying against a candidate because that candidate is not inclined to give Raytheon a government contract (Which is tax payer money) then we should know why Raytheon is lobbying against that candidate.

Simple as that.

I actually have no problem with the amount of money(unlimited). I have a problem with the anonymity. That part is bullshit. If the "people" want to speak up... let them do so in the open. The problem is, most of these superpacs aren't people... they are Corporations and really rich people trying to sway the public into voting for Corporate interests, not their own. Not only that... but it also leaves a back door for foreign money helping to determine our elections. The Chamber of Commerce may have already done so... they collected huge amounts from foreign countries around the time of the 2010 election... but claim that none of "that" money was used in their SuperPac ads. But the truth is... we'll never know, and they don't have to tell. Like I said... Bullshit.

I agree with the issue of anonymity. However, the solution is not to legislate against it, it is for Americans to learn that anyone who wishes to hide their identity has something to hide. Treat the information with skepticism..... which I tend to do anyway - no matter where it comes from, unless I can verify it independently.

Booooooooo. Giving money to a candidate or a cause must be open, honest, transparent and regulated by law; the USSC, or more accurately, the five members who voted for CU v. FEC are wrong and it is not outside the realm of possibilities some may have been unduly influenced by 'donations'.

Ummm.....yes. :rolleyes: I don't want "the best government money can buy". Apparently, you do.

So in your opinion a corporation, industry or cartel is a person, with all rights and responsibilities? If correct, shouldn't the CEO, CFO and each and every stockholder of Exxon Mobil be jailed for polluting the Yellowstone River?

Fuck that..how about Warren Anderson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Anderson_(chairman)

That fuck was responsible for the deaths of close to 10,000 people.

I actually have no problem with the amount of money(unlimited). I have a problem with the anonymity. That part is bullshit. If the "people" want to speak up... let them do so in the open. The problem is, most of these superpacs aren't people... they are Corporations and really rich people trying to sway the public into voting for Corporate interests, not their own. Not only that... but it also leaves a back door for foreign money helping to determine our elections. The Chamber of Commerce may have already done so... they collected huge amounts from foreign countries around the time of the 2010 election... but claim that none of "that" money was used in their SuperPac ads. But the truth is... we'll never know, and they don't have to tell. Like I said... Bullshit.

Free speech allows us to be anonymous. If you don't like that, fine. But the government can't silence it. If it could, every internet chat board would be in danger.

Bullshit analogy. Internet Chat Boards are individual people speaking our minds. Forums like this is very much what Freedom of Speech is all about. Funneling money into a Candidate's coffers in a roundabout way is not Freedom of speech... it's buying elections. Possibly with foreign money. Why would you be OK with foreign interests helping to decide OUR Elections?

Let’s say there’s this person called America. Now, there’s a person standing next to America named Gop. Gop is holding a loaded gun to the side of America’s head, and is demanding that you hand over fifty puppies, or he’s going to shoot America in the head.

Like any sensible person, you hand over fifty puppies, because you don’t want to see America get shot in the head. Gop takes the puppies and America lives.

Now, a couple months later, Gop and America are at it again. I guess America is Gop’s mistress or something, I don’t really know. The difference is that this time, Gop has put all the puppies in a cage and wired it with explosives.

Gop is now demanding five hundred puppies. If Gop doesn’t get five hundred puppies, he’s going to shoot America in the head, and blow up the fifty puppies you already gave him.

Now let’s say you get all five hundred puppies and deliver them to Gop, and tell Gop that in exchange for these five hundred puppies, you would really appreciate it if Gop would hand over the detonator for the fifty puppies wired with explosives, and the gun he’s holding to the head of America.

Gop refuses. Gop now has a gun against America’s temple, the hammer is cocked, and he has fifty puppies wired with explosives, with an offer for five hundred more if he’ll just put down the gun and detonator.

The problem is that Gop can’t do that, because Teaparty, his former partner, is holding his wife, Reelection, hostage too. If Gop doesn’t get all the puppies, and keeps the gun and detonator, Teaparty is going to shoot Gop’s wife Reelection in the head.

Now, for this to untangle itself, someone has to die. Either Gop blows up the puppies and shoots America in the head because you won’t give in to their completely unreasonable demands, or America and the puppies live because Gop gave you the gun and detonator, but Teaparty killed Gop’s wife, Reelection.

There is a third and fourth way. Gop turns around and shoots Teaparty, sparing his wife, mistress, and puppies, or Gop shoots himself, thus freeing America and the puppies and leaving Teaparty out in the cold.

So really, it’s a double hostage situation. The Democrats are offering the world to the GOP to keep them from blowing it all up, but the GOP can’t take the deal because if they do, the Tea Party will go fucking nuts and everyone that votes for it will face a primary challenge.

David Brooks Boldly Acknowledges That His Political Party Is Insane

Probably the stupidest posts I will read here today and given what usually turns up here that's saying a lot

If that upsets you, start pushing for public financing of elections. Our representitives spend too much of their time hustling for campaign contributions and in essence selling their vote to whomever can bundle the highest amount of contributions. Money isn't "free speech" in this case, it's a bribe. Just think about it. They'd have a lot more time to spend on OUR business, if it was really votes that counted, instead of the dollars.

So does anyone have a clue what this thread is about? What's the Great Experiment that ended?

George Washington called the American political ideal "The Great Experiment".

With Corporate control over elections means that the experiment is a failure.

Unless "corporate control" is a violent game your post makes as little sense as the Title and OP. Did you bother to read the OP?

Unless "corporate control" is a violent game your post makes as little sense as the Title and OP. Did you bother to read the OP?

Yes... did you? Do you understand political satire? Ok... here ya go. Go back to the OP. look closely at the cartoon. It does not say XBOX 360. It says "Ballot Box 360".

The OP was never about a video game. It is about SuperPacs and their Unlimited, anonymous donations.

Ok... now that we got that straightened out...thoughts?

Yes... did you? Do you understand political satire? Ok... here ya go. Go back to the OP. look closely at the cartoon. It does not say XBOX 360. It says "Ballot Box 360".

The OP was never about a video game. It is about SuperPacs and their Unlimited, anonymous donations.

Can you explain what Citizen United had to do with video games? Maybe you can mix Plessey in there too?

Can you explain what Citizen United had to do with video games? Maybe you can mix Plessey in there too?

Maybe I can, if you explain it to me like I did you above. Did a quick google search, and all I found was Plessey Ferguson pumps and the like.

Maybe I can, if you explain it to me like I did you above. Did a quick google search, and all I found was Plessey Ferguson pumps and the like.

The OP was jibberish and a test to see who was paying attention and who will reflexively spew Party lines

Free speech allows us to be anonymous. If you don't like that, fine. But the government can't silence it. If it could, every internet chat board would be in danger.

Bullshit analogy. Internet Chat Boards are individual people speaking our minds. Forums like this is very much what Freedom of Speech is all about. Funneling money into a Candidate's coffers in a roundabout way is not Freedom of speech... it's buying elections. Possibly with foreign money. Why would you be OK with foreign interests helping to decide OUR Elections?

Internet messageboards, despite the anonymous nature of them - good. Speaking out in the political process before an election while remaining anonymous - bad.

You guys are seriously inconsistant here. Speech is speech whether its online or on television, whether it's during the political offseason or the middle of an election. The standard is the same "Congress shall make no law" - End of discussion.

If you don't like it. Amend the Constitution. But dont tell us we should silence one speech you dont like but allow speech you do like. It's bullcrap. You are a freakin hypocrite if you will fight for your own free speech while attacking that of others.

Forum List

Back