The great caliber debate...

...Semiautomatics reload faster.

Tell that to Jerry Michelik

Not everyone is Jerry...in fact almost nobody is.

No they are not. But, with practice, anyone can get proficient enough with speedloaders to be within 1 or 2 seconds of semi auto reload speed.

Plus, reloading is a vastly over-rated part of gun fights. The number of times someone reloaded is miniscule. The last article I read (I'll try to find it) was a 5 year study of both police and civilian gun fights and had (I believe) only 2 reloads. Most of the time there were only 2 shots or less fired. When there were more than 2 the shooter typically emptied their gun.

True. It’s for that reason and the fact that I’m poor I only load six hollow points over 12 FMJ rounds.

I found this interesting...

What do you think?

So this is an 11 minute info-mercial for their plate carrier vests ?!

My own plate carrier vest cost me $75 at an Army/Navy store.

The vest itself won't stop much, other than a knife.

It is the plates themselves that matter.

A ballistic material plate over a steel plate will stop anything including rifles up to a BAR 50 cal.

My own plates (4 total -- 2 in front and 2 in back) will stop a 308 rifle.

What do you think?

.44 mag. All I need is one shot and your down. If the person is in a car one shot and the engine is broken and stops.

First you have to hit them, and targets don't shoot back. But the 44 will go through your living target, so I don't think you have one at all.

To hit a moving person is easy for me. And yes the mag usually does go through a human. They still can't move! I love my .44 as I use it for hunting.

If you are going to hunt with a revolver then you might as well get a 454 Casull.

...Semiautomatics reload faster.

Not even close. Jerry M is a revolver deamon. Y’all ever hear of this guy?

We're talking about reloading speed.
Nobody beats Jerry.

Easy when nobody is shooting at you.

So you beat Jerry's world record?
Congrats......:420:

Revolvers; don't take two hands to cock, never jam.
If you keep a bullet in the chamber, you don't have to cock (load) it. If you use the right size ammunition, and keep it clean, gun won't jam. Semiautomatics reload faster.

Which is why I always carry in Condition 2.
I carry my 1911 in condition 1.

I prefer condition 2 with the safety off.
That way I have the option of just pulling the trigger through the double action or if I have time I can thumb the hammer back.
While pulling the trigger through the double action may reduce accuracy in the first shot it's no different than a revolver in that respect.
It all depends.

If my pistol is in my shoulder holster concealed, then I will go with Condition 2.

If my pistol is open carry in my locking holster then I prefer Condition 1 once I get to work and go on duty. Until then while I am driving to work I keep it in Condition 2.

Not even close. Jerry M is a revolver deamon. Y’all ever hear of this guy?

We're talking about reloading speed.
Nobody beats Jerry.

Easy when nobody is shooting at you.

So you beat Jerry's world record?
Congrats......:420:

It does not matter if nobody is shooting at you.

Revolvers; don't take two hands to cock, never jam.

The claims that revolvers are outdated or obsolete are simply nonsense. Revolvers are typically more accurate and they allow for the use of specialty ammo. Jamming is so rare as to be a non-factor. If the ammo fails in a semi-auto, there are actions to be taken. But they involve both hands and you must take the gun down so you are not sighting down the barrel. With a revolver, you simply pull the trigger again. At most you cock the hammer and pull the trigger again.

Also, with semi autos there is some debate on the safety of having a round in the chamber. A loaded revolver is ready to go. No manual safety involved. And modern revolvers, like Ruger, are safer to carry due to their transfer bar system. Drop it on the hammer and the gun still won't fire.
I love a revolver as much as the next guy, but... Exposed to harsh conditions such as those presented in the various torture tests they really fall behind in the durability category. They don’t handle mud and sand intrusion to the mechanism at all. And when your revolver goes down due to such an occasion it’s likely down for the duration of the fight.

I think that matters far less in a defensive handgun. Unless you are out in the boonies, the chances of your gun being immersed in mud or sand is pretty slim.
As a nightstand gun... Sure. But strapped to your hip while out 4 wheeling, camping, or any myriad of outdoor social engagements they are at risk for failure.

When I am out camping, hiking, canoeing or whatever, I carry a single action .44. In 4+ decades of having fun in the outdoors, my gun has never been immersed in mud or sand. The very fact that I carry it in a holster gives it enough protection to avoid catastrophic failure.
When I am camping I have my 12 gauge loaded with slugs alternating with double aught buckshot.

The claims that revolvers are outdated or obsolete are simply nonsense. Revolvers are typically more accurate and they allow for the use of specialty ammo. Jamming is so rare as to be a non-factor. If the ammo fails in a semi-auto, there are actions to be taken. But they involve both hands and you must take the gun down so you are not sighting down the barrel. With a revolver, you simply pull the trigger again. At most you cock the hammer and pull the trigger again.

Also, with semi autos there is some debate on the safety of having a round in the chamber. A loaded revolver is ready to go. No manual safety involved. And modern revolvers, like Ruger, are safer to carry due to their transfer bar system. Drop it on the hammer and the gun still won't fire.
I love a revolver as much as the next guy, but... Exposed to harsh conditions such as those presented in the various torture tests they really fall behind in the durability category. They don’t handle mud and sand intrusion to the mechanism at all. And when your revolver goes down due to such an occasion it’s likely down for the duration of the fight.

I think that matters far less in a defensive handgun. Unless you are out in the boonies, the chances of your gun being immersed in mud or sand is pretty slim.
As a nightstand gun... Sure. But strapped to your hip while out 4 wheeling, camping, or any myriad of outdoor social engagements they are at risk for failure.

When I am out camping, hiking, canoeing or whatever, I carry a single action .44. In 4+ decades of having fun in the outdoors, my gun has never been immersed in mud or sand. The very fact that I carry it in a holster gives it enough protection to avoid catastrophic failure.
When I am camping I have my 12 gauge loaded with slugs alternating with double aught buckshot.

I have my Remington 870 with us when we camp. But I thought we were discussing handguns.

I have my Remington 870 with us when we camp. But I thought we were discussing handguns.
I thought you were discussing camping.

I thought you were discussing camping.

We mentioned what sidearms we prefer when outdoors doing a variety of things.

I typically carry several firearms camping.

What do you think?

.44 mag. All I need is one shot and your down. If the person is in a car one shot and the engine is broken and stops.

First you have to hit them, and targets don't shoot back. But the 44 will go through your living target, so I don't think you have one at all.

To hit a moving person is easy for me. And yes the mag usually does go through a human. They still can't move! I love my .44 as I use it for hunting.

If you are going to hunt with a revolver then you might as well get a 454 Casull.

I have had my ..44 mag for so long i really don't want a new one or a different kind of Caliber as I reload and new dies are not cheap.

Forum List

Back