The Gorillas in the Room - The Do Not Call List

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I know everyone, including myself, hates when telemarketers call. However for many small businesses, many industries and many new salesman it was a very necessary evil. I am lucky enough now to do B to B, but back in the day I got ton of business via telemarketing. My father who is a very very successful financial planner maintains that he got the lionshare of his business via telemarketing.

While I think there are many factors that lead to the meltdown, I think taking away an identifiable stream of marketing, which is telemarketing contributed! Right now I believe 150 million homes are on the DNC, which equates to 95% of the population. Telemarketing as an industry and marketing option is DEAD. Big fish corporation can easily survive, but New and Small business can not!

Yes we all hate telemarketing, but its a necessary evil for many businesses!

Perhaps we wouldn't get so completely annoyed if telemarketers would get the hint after the 7th day in a ROW of you not answering their call (Yes, Sunday's included).

EX: I set up an appointment to have someone come do an estimate on replacing my windows and covering my gutters. Something came up and I had to call and cancel that appointment, and told them I would call them when I was ready to schedule another one.

That was 5 months ago, and I have gotten 1-2 calls a day 7 days a week (including holidays!) for the ENTIRE 5 months.

Can't imagine why people would join DNC lists...

or telling them we aren't interested. seriously once i tell a telemarketer (even though im on the do not call list) im not interested, they still call back.

Perhaps we wouldn't get so completely annoyed if telemarketers would get the hint after the 7th day in a ROW of you not answering their call (Yes, Sunday's included).

EX: I set up an appointment to have someone come do an estimate on replacing my windows and covering my gutters. Something came up and I had to call and cancel that appointment, and told them I would call them when I was ready to schedule another one.

That was 5 months ago, and I have gotten 1-2 calls a day 7 days a week (including holidays!) for the ENTIRE 5 months.

Can't imagine why people would join DNC lists...

Calls like that wouldn't be DNC regulated anyways.

I say better than the DNC is some nice regulations:
(1) Such as a company must apply for a telemarketing license (which would be all of them). Which could subject to suspension, fines or terminations if abused.
(2) No calls on before 10:00am or after 8:00 pm for the time zone calling.
(3) No Sunday calls
(4) No using blocked or private number, the number must be visible to caller idea
(5) No accessive calls, such as situations such as your. Meaning just as a consumer can not report a telemarketer for calling when they are on the DNC. A consumer could report them if they were accessively called. I won't try to define accessive at the moment.

sorry ...i pay for my phone to receive calls from my family and friends...not someone soliciting my business....these people brought them on themselves....i have had an unpublished number for decades but then yall came up with the auto dials that just call number after number with no regard for them being published or not...and guess what...i am on the dnc list and still get calls.....there seems to be no way to stop you....from invading my privacy...now if you want to pay my phone bills...then you can use it for whatever means you wish...until then...fuck off and dont call me

I get on average four calls per day from telemarketers, almost none of them are from small businesses. AT&T calls me once a day, everyday. I get credit offers almost everyday. GMAC calls quite a bit. In the last 6 months I've gotten ONE call from a local business trying to sell me a good or service, and the funny thing about that is that I see far more advertising from that company in the local penny shopper than they can ever do via the phone. I even had to change my cell phone number because I was starting to get telemarketing calls on my cell. These people need to be punished for harassment. I recommend boiling oil.

Forum List

Back