The GOP’s surprisingly loose convention

"...But the surprise of the convention, for me at least, was how poorly scripted it was. Night to night, the speeches proved themeless. Key speakers barely mentioned the Republican nominee, and, perhaps worse, gave speeches that were thematically contradictory to his campaign and record.

It looked small to devote the first day of the convention to an out-of-context soundbite from President Obama. Yes, “you didn’t build that” fires up Republicans. But Republicans are already fired up. There were any number of themes — for instance, 8 percent unemployment — that would have made the Republican Party look bigger and Obama look smaller. Imagine if the Democratic National Convention spent a day attacking Mitt Romney for saying “I like to fire people.” It would be ridiculous...."

I've always been fascinated by the odd coalition that makes up the republican party today, corporate crooks, extreme religionists, racists, gun nuts, anti-union, pro-life pretenders, anti-government, state's rights nuts, tax crazies, anti-science, anti environment, is it any wonder they can't govern, or come to some sensible platform that actually helps America?
When you have to please that many disparate nuts the task is impossible. It is hard to believe they once had a liberal wing?

I do find the Reagan question - 'are you better...' - fascinating given that I heard many republicans say they built it from nothing. Then they claim Obama and government are at fault. If you can keep those two contradictory ideas in a single head, you can keep any idea in your head and in your platform. Thus to sane people they seem insane.

"Americans may have elected a Republican president and Congress, but they are unlikely to go back to a world in which one illness can devastate their last years or one storm can destroy their lives. Because government is the one institution that allows us some control over our future, conservatism, which distrusts government so much, is best viewed as a natural counter to liberalism, which, if left unchecked, tends towards wasteful bureaucracy. Indeed, as the Bush administration fully proves, conservatism remains a force of opposition even when it purports to be a governance party. And so the best that can be hoped for is that American voters will do for conservatives what they are unable to do themselves: to vote them out of office." "Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"This is when the Republican Party set its trap. Meeting in closed sessions at the beginning of the Obama regime, the party of tax cuts for the rich, unfunded wars, and the largest deficit in the history of the country redefined itself. It suddenly became the party of deficit reduction through lean government joined to supreme confidence in unregulated financial and corporate markets. It even opposed the bail out of General Motors and Chrysler, though these actions stopped unemployment from reaching a dangerous tipping point, allowed the two companies time to reconstruct themselves, and enabled them to pay back the loans within two years–-creating one of the most successful bailouts in the history of Euro-American economic life." William E. Connolly See The Contemporary Condition: The Republican Pincer Machine

_

And you guys got Code pinkers, Occupy wall street do nothings, Wackjob Gaia worshipping tree huggers, gun grabbers, statist burecratic wankers, union thugs, politically correct nanny staters, and career political crooks. Some group you have there.

How many Democrats in Congress are mouthpieces for Code Pink, #OWS, etc.?

THAT'S the difference.

I've always been fascinated by the odd coalition that makes up the republican party today, corporate crooks, extreme religionists, racists, gun nuts, anti-union, pro-life pretenders, anti-government, state's rights nuts, tax crazies, anti-science, anti environment, is it any wonder they can't govern, or come to some sensible platform that actually helps America?
When you have to please that many disparate nuts the task is impossible. It is hard to believe they once had a liberal wing?

I do find the Reagan question - 'are you better...' - fascinating given that I heard many republicans say they built it from nothing. Then they claim Obama and government are at fault. If you can keep those two contradictory ideas in a single head, you can keep any idea in your head and in your platform. Thus to sane people they seem insane.

"Americans may have elected a Republican president and Congress, but they are unlikely to go back to a world in which one illness can devastate their last years or one storm can destroy their lives. Because government is the one institution that allows us some control over our future, conservatism, which distrusts government so much, is best viewed as a natural counter to liberalism, which, if left unchecked, tends towards wasteful bureaucracy. Indeed, as the Bush administration fully proves, conservatism remains a force of opposition even when it purports to be a governance party. And so the best that can be hoped for is that American voters will do for conservatives what they are unable to do themselves: to vote them out of office." "Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"This is when the Republican Party set its trap. Meeting in closed sessions at the beginning of the Obama regime, the party of tax cuts for the rich, unfunded wars, and the largest deficit in the history of the country redefined itself. It suddenly became the party of deficit reduction through lean government joined to supreme confidence in unregulated financial and corporate markets. It even opposed the bail out of General Motors and Chrysler, though these actions stopped unemployment from reaching a dangerous tipping point, allowed the two companies time to reconstruct themselves, and enabled them to pay back the loans within two years–-creating one of the most successful bailouts in the history of Euro-American economic life." William E. Connolly See The Contemporary Condition: The Republican Pincer Machine

_

And you guys got Code pinkers, Occupy wall street do nothings, Wackjob Gaia worshipping tree huggers, gun grabbers, statist burecratic wankers, union thugs, politically correct nanny staters, and career political crooks. Some group you have there.

THAT'S the difference.

Just because they dont openly advocate for them doesnt mean they dont support them, or are in power in your party. They are just smart enough to realize they are toxic, but I'm sure you got tons of supporters of thier goals in your ranks.

I forgot to mention they didn't have a black woman like Condi Rice speak for them.

Is she your token, to trot out when you want to show you're not a bunch of Whites Only?

THIS is the attitude taken by so many progressives. A smart black woman like Condi is automatically a "token" because she doesnt have the political beliefs lefties expect from black people.

Who are the racists again?

THAT'S the difference.

Just because they dont openly advocate for them doesnt mean they dont support them, or are in power in your party. They are just smart enough to realize they are toxic, but I'm sure you got tons of supporters of thier goals in your ranks.

So you're saying the Republicans are NOT smart enough to realize that their kooks are toxic? :lol:

America agrees!

I forgot to mention they didn't have a black woman like Condi Rice speak for them.

Is she your token, to trot out when you want to show you're not a bunch of Whites Only?

THIS is the attitude taken by so many progressives. A smart black woman like Condi is automatically a "token" because she doesnt have the political beliefs lefties expect from black people.

Talk to the poster I was responding to, who felt the need to qualify Condi as a 'black woman'.

Why mention that she's black?

So you're saying the Republicans are NOT smart enough to realize that their kooks are toxic? :lol:

America agrees!

Nice out of context statement grab. I also noticed you ignored my other post about you calling Condi a token black.
No, I didn't, Speedy Gonzalez.

Talk to the poster I was responding to, who felt the need to qualify Condi as a 'black woman'.

You guys are the ones who perfected identity politics, you figure it out.

And marty goes for the cop-out instead of the intelligent response.

You wingnuts are very funny, in your reactionary ignorance. :lol:

And marty goes for the cop-out instead of the intelligent response.

You wingnuts are very funny, in your reactionary ignorance. :lol:

What cop out? Your statement was a smarmy insult to a woman whos politics disagree with yours. You feel the need to call her a token. You are a racist.

Enjoy your bigotry, even if you cant see it yourself.

But the amusing dissonance presaged Christie bragging about his conservative accomplishments in New Jersey, his blithe indifference to polls, and his willingness to deliver tough truths — all in a speech that was meant to endorse Romney. It felt like Romney was being taunted with a vision of the candidate the Republican Party wished he was.

Indeed.

Forum List

Back