The GOP’s hatred of green energy reminds me of their hatred for LED bulbs.

Only "confusing" to those perpetually confused, as are the majority of your posts. Like all Lefties, you read what you want to read, and understand only what you want to understand. What I said was "They all put out less light, and the light they do put out is of lower quality, and yes, I got a light meter." A light meter measures the amount of light a source puts out.

A thermometer measures heat. I have a thermometer in each room, and an outdoor version outside the window. This means I am able to monitor both the outside temperature, and inside temperature on a room-by- room basis. The landlord replaced the light fixtures about 16 months ago, all but one with your crappy LED crap. The other one I ain't sure what it is. Halogen? Mercury-halide? What ever it is, it pours out heat worse than a damn infrared heatlamp.

Anyway, I did not go for this BS, so I went to the salvage yard, bought me three incandescent stand lamps and one thingie with a lightbulb screw-n fixture on one end and a corded plug on the other, which I hang from the ceiling. So now I have a choice. When I use LED crap my tiny studio turns into a sweatbox within four hours. When I use incandescent, the temperature rises a little, but is tolerable. Now I got a portable air conditioner, so I could set that up and use your gawdawful LEDs...but why would I? Your crap:
1. Raises the temperature in my studio to the point I have to turn into a nudist!
2. Puts out less light than incandescent, and that light is an inferior quality.
3. Costs more, and when the bulb burns out the landlord has to come by to replace it.
Not only will I not break out the portable air conditioner to accommodate this "Nanny State' crap, I will make no such accommodations whatever! What I will do is continue to stockpile incandescent bulbs, and use what works best. Exactly as I did when the braindeads outlawed plastic bags, and made recycling mandatory.

First, I'll say this: I am totally opposed to government dictating what kind of light bulbs anyone may or must use or not use, for anything short of legitimate safety-related issues. I believe that government has far overstepped its rightful boundaries in its restrictions against incandescent bulbs.

And now, let me add that I am an electrician, so I know what I am talking about, here.

It is a simple, hard fact, that both LED-based lights, and fluorescent lights (including CFLs) convert a higher portion of the energy that they consume into light, and less into heat; than incandescent bulbs do.

If you really are getting more heat dumped into your home when you use LED-based lights than when you are using incandescent lights, to produce a comparable amount of light, then there is something very wrong with the writing in your home that is feeding those LED lights. That excess heat is •NOT• being created by the LED lights themselves. You need to have that checked out by a qualified professional electrician. Something in your home's wiring is producing a significant amount of heat that it isn't supposed to be producing. That's the sort of issue that sets houses on fire. Please get this checked out by a qualified professional, as soon as possible. This is a severe safety hazard.

In a rare and spectacular example of the cliché about a stopped watch being right twice a day, even deanrd said something that is true and obvious:

Not true. Heat is energy. The energy has to come from somewhere. If LED bulbs use 1/10 the energy and you can put your hand on it and not get burned then it’s not heating up your room. To say otherwise is just stupid.

You and I both agree, I think, that deanrd is much, much less often right, than a broken clock is, but this extremely-rare time, he nailed it.

Conventional incandescent bulbs convert anywhere from 0.7% to 2.6% of the electrical power that they receive, into visible light. Some halogen-filled incandescents make it up to around 5% efficiency. Where do you think nearly all of the remaining 95% to 99.3% of that power goes? If you guessed that it is given off as heat, which would raise the temperature of the room in which it is being operated, then you'd be correct.

Fluorescents run at anywhere from about 8% to 16% efficiency, and LEDs are at around 20% to 25% efficiency. That means that to produce the same amount of light, they consume less power, and produce less heat, than incandescents.

As for amount and quality of light, I have noticed that some CFL and LED-based lights—older and/or cheaper ones in particular—seem to be incorrectly represented as producing light comparable to an incandescent of a particular wattage, and when you replace an incandescent with the allegedly-comparable CFL or LED, it is noticeably not as bright. This does not appear to be an issue with newer, higher-quality LEDs; just with older ones, or very cheap, poor-quality ones.

I think both these technologies were pushed out before they were really mature. CFLs have become obsolete, before they had a chance to mature, if they were ever going to. I'm not sure if I can say that LED lighting has finally matured, to the point where it ought to render incandescents completely obsolete. At whatever point that has occurred, or will occur, there'd be no reason for government to step in and impose restrictions on incandescents; any more than there would ever have been any reason for government to impose restrictions on obsolete technologies like floppy disks or cathode-ray tube-based televisions and computer displays. When a new technology matures to the point that it offers consumers better performance and better value for their money, the old technology that replaces will fade away on its own.

Remember all the articles at the USMB on LED bulbs and how awful they were and how expensive they were and how they were no good?

All the ridicule and name-calling and even accusing LED bulbs of being a left-wing plot?

And now they’re everywhere. Every bulb in my house is an LED bulb.

I even have those little miniature solar bulbs that sit outside and charge during the day and light up during the night.

Sometimes it seems Republicans won’t be happy until we’re back living in caves and having a Stone Age Renaissance.

While the rest of the world moves on to clean energy Republicans want to circle the wagons and live in the past. It won’t work. The future is coming whether they want it or not.

The GOP does NOT hate green energy, they are all for it, as long as it competes on the free market.

With that said? Perhaps we should have an open and honest discussion about all the tax breaks fossil fuel and other legacy energy has due to lobbyists?

We can't subsidize ANY particular energy mode or method and gauge exactly how good it will be for society. Government needs to stay out.

Why does that left hate the free market? How do they imagine that they can design a system better than the ingenuity of free enterprise?

The title of this thread is:

I don’t know about these other bulbs you guys are talking about. The only one I mentioned was LEDs. And there is no mercury in LED bulbs.

NO MERCURY IN LED BULBS...........PERIOD!!!!!
you dont know what a CFL bulb is....yea right....
Wait a second. You mean you don’t know the difference between a CFL bulb and an LED bulb?
Do you want me to explain it to you?

If you look up why one has mercury and the other one doesn’t, you’ll know everything that you need to know.

Who ever heard about having a romantic dinner by LED light?

Good Lord OP, it's not a matter of hating anything! It's simply a scientific fact that these "green energy" machinations cannot even produce a fraction of the energy necessary to sustain a society with 1/3 of a billion people like ours. Our modern society is dependent on a gazillion different petrochemicals in a gazillion different ways whether you like it or not.

And what the hell is this masturbatory obsession you have with LED lights, you idiot? I vote Republican and I have NEVER given a flying fuck about how my light bulbs are powered, ever, ever, EVER! In fact, I can't think about a household item I care LESS about than whether my lights are LED or analog incandescent, you sputtering, raving fool. YOU'RE the one who launched into this screaming, delirious tirade about LED lights, nobody else, you horse's ass. YOU have the delirious obsession over LED lights. As a matter of fact I've never seen anyone on USMB more panicked about LED lights than you. Seriously.

Remember all the articles at the USMB on LED bulbs and how awful they were and how expensive they were and how they were no good?

All the ridicule and name-calling and even accusing LED bulbs of being a left-wing plot?

I even have those little miniature solar bulbs that sit outside and charge during the day and light up during the night.

Sometimes it seems Republicans won’t be happy until we’re back living in caves and having a Stone Age Renaissance.

While the rest of the world moves on to clean energy Republicans want to circle the wagons and live in the past. It won’t work. The future is coming whether they want it or not.

I didn’t think you could get any stupider.

The Moon Bat's love of bat shit crazy environmental wacko programs reminds me of all the money the American taxpayers lost when that idiot Obama gave government loans to Solyndra.

I don’t know about these other bulbs you guys are talking about. The only one I mentioned was LEDs. And there is no mercury in LED bulbs.

Wait a second. You mean you don’t know the difference between a CFL bulb and an LED bulb?

If you look up why one has mercury and the other one doesn’t, you’ll know everything that you need to know.
there it is the dean ballet....saying something that was never said....when will you ever be a truthful person?...

There is one other thing. The incandescent bulb had a shelf life. It created jobs. Kept people working. Is it better to have cultures where we build things that break down after a certain amount of time and we renew, rebuild or get new ones or go to war killing each other?

I tried every crappy new-agey bulb around...and returned to incandescent. All the new junk has only one thing going for it, that being it uses slightly less electricity. Big friggin' deal! They all put out less light, and the light they do put out is of lower quality, and yes, I got a light meter. All burn hotter than incandescent, jacking up the temperature, which in turn requires more electricity for air conditioner or fans. One type poisons landfills. The other sort has a shorter life than incandescent. Both kinds are more expensive than incandescent, maybe not by much, but you still end up paying more for getting less. These hippy-dippy innovations are not how I would define innovative, so I'll be sticking with the old-fashioned sort.
Your post is either incredibly confusing or incredibly confusing because it’s so stupid.

You Said you have a light meter that measures temperature and that LED bulbs put out more heat than the old fashion bulbs? Because if that’s what you’re saying, then that’s stupid. And you’re lying. Or just stupid. Please clarify.

Only "confusing" to those perpetually confused, as are the majority of your posts. Like all Lefties, you read what you want to read, and understand only what you want to understand. What I said was "They all put out less light, and the light they do put out is of lower quality, and yes, I got a light meter." A light meter measures the amount of light a source puts out.

A thermometer measures heat. I have a thermometer in each room, and an outdoor version outside the window. This means I am able to monitor both the outside temperature, and inside temperature on a room-by- room basis. The landlord replaced the light fixtures about 16 months ago, all but one with your crappy LED crap. The other one I ain't sure what it is. Halogen? Mercury-halide? What ever it is, it pours out heat worse than a damn infrared heatlamp.

Anyway, I did not go for this BS, so I went to the salvage yard, bought me three incandescent stand lamps and one thingie with a lightbulb screw-n fixture on one end and a corded plug on the other, which I hang from the ceiling. So now I have a choice. When I use LED crap my tiny studio turns into a sweatbox within four hours. When I use incandescent, the temperature rises a little, but is tolerable. Now I got a portable air conditioner, so I could set that up and use your gawdawful LEDs...but why would I? Your crap:
1. Raises the temperature in my studio to the point I have to turn into a nudist!
2. Puts out less light than incandescent, and that light is an inferior quality.
3. Costs more, and when the bulb burns out the landlord has to come by to replace it.
Not only will I not break out the portable air conditioner to accommodate this "Nanny State' crap, I will make no such accommodations whatever! What I will do is continue to stockpile incandescent bulbs, and use what works best. Exactly as I did when the braindeads outlawed plastic bags, and made recycling mandatory.
Horse shit.

The GOP’s hatred of green energy reminds me of their hatred for LED bulbs

Hey DUMMASS:
  1. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "GREEN ENERGY": by its very nature, producing and using energy contributes to the entropy of the environment so cannot be said to be green. For an energy to be truly green, from its creation, manufacture, distribution and use, it would have to actually IMPROVE the environment or at least make it no worse, which is impossible.
  2. LEDs may use less current but their manufacture and elimination as a spent waste product actually creates far more pollution to the environment than a simple bulb (glass, sand), and filament (simple metal wire).

I honestly can't remember a single post by anyone anywhere, saying that LED bulbs were bad.

I do remember some saying they were expensive, and..... they were at that time.

The problem was not advancement. The problem was the people on forums like this, suggesting we needed to force others to buy the products they wanted us to buy, at the point of a gun.

As, I and everyone else, have always said... I'm all for advancement. If you provided the magic energy source that cooked dinner, and washed my clothes, by me putting in a banana peal, and half a can of energy drink, like Back to the Future or something... I'm all for it.

The big problem I have with low-energy bulbs, has nothing to do with the technology, or the bulbs.

It has to do with the mythological ideological mass delusion pushed by the left around the bulbs. Like you are somehow saving the planet. No you are not.

Like a solar light, the dimly glows at night, is going to cause the polls of the earth to refreeze. No it won't.

And you and your other delusional left-wing minions can stand around costumes, striking poses to show your moral superiority like a retarded super hero.

Here's the reality.....

You use tons and tons of energy every single day. Tons of it. Your very existence has an impact on the environment. Such as the concrete used to make your house, to the manufacturing plant that made your precious LED light.
GE_Lighting_Mattoon_Lamp_Plant.jpg

Above is factory that makes bulbs. Don't see any massive amounts of energy being used there, do you? (sarcasm)

Everything that you do, everything you have, everything that you use, the places you go, everything.... has an impact on the environment.

IF you truly want to save the environment, kill yourself. That is the only way you will actually "save the planet".

EDtUNyJXkAc98fD

The Trump administration rolls back Obama era lightbulb rules. I guess they just like to waste energy.

EDtUNyJXkAc98fD

The Trump administration rolls back Obama era lightbulb rules. I guess they just like to waste energy.
The federal government never had the legitimate authority to dictate what kind of light bulbs we may have. Like many Obama policies, this one was blatantly unconstitutional, corrupt, and represented a serious abuse of power.

Moron, it wasn't LED lightbulbs. it was the CFL....they contain mercury...you doofus....

As to the rest of the Green Energy....what we oppose is mandating solar and wind knowing that they can't provide the energy we need....but demanding we adopt them without being able to provide the energy we need......you make an energy source that is as effective as gas, oil, coal and nuclear, that is just as cheap.....we will gladly take it...but telling us we are evil because we don't want inefficient energy makes you stupid..not us.

Moron, it wasn't LED lightbulbs. it was the CFL....they contain mercury...you doofus....

As to the rest of the Green Energy....what we oppose is mandating solar and wind knowing that they can't provide the energy we need....but demanding we adopt them without being able to provide the energy we need......you make an energy source that is as effective as gas, oil, coal and nuclear, that is just as cheap.....we will gladly take it...but telling us we are evil because we don't want inefficient energy makes you stupid..not us.
Exactly! There was plenty to bitch about with the CFL's. The LED's are the best thing since apple pie.

The federal government never had the legitimate authority to dictate what kind of light bulbs we may have. Like many Obama policies, this one was blatantly unconstitutional, corrupt, and represented a serious abuse of power.

Except the Bush admin made the law.

DERP.

That's what ODS does to a person.

As usual, fine historical revisionsim from the right. They never cared about mercury. They were screaming about Obama the tyrant (even though it was a Bush admin law) because they wanted to achieve more hategasms, and now they're making stories up to cover for what morons they were.

Oh, those CFL bulbs kept a lot of mercury out of the environment, by requiring less coal burning, which releases gobs of mercury, which then rains down out of the sky on everyone. Liberals, possessing common sense, understood the benefits of the tradeoff.

Forum List

Back