The GOP won't be too happy about this.

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Sources: Obama may quickly reverse abortion policy - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama is considering issuing an executive order to reverse a controversial Bush administration abortion policy in his first week in office, three Democratic sources said Monday.

Obama's second full day as president falls on the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion in the United States.

The sources said Obama may use the occasion to reverse the "Mexico City policy" reinstated in 2001 by Bush that prohibits U.S. money from funding international family planning groups that promote abortion or provide information, counseling or referrals about abortion services. It bans any organization receiving family planning funds from the U.S. Agency for International Development from offering abortions or abortion counseling.

Well I disagree with it simply because we need funding here for so many things, I don't see the point in donating to other nations social issues on that level.

Obama would do himself well to understand that he cannot be the worlds keepers, while wanting more and more in this nation cared for by an already broke government.

Honestly that goes for more than just Obama democrats and republicans alike.

Not a surprise to anyone who listened. Doesn't make it right, but inevitable. Has to give his core 'something.'

Well I disagree with it simply because we need funding here for so many things, I don't see the point in donating to other nations social issues on that level.

Obama would do himself well to understand that he cannot be the worlds keepers, while wanting more and more in this nation cared for by an already broke government.

Honestly that goes for more than just Obama democrats and republicans alike.

Do you understand the executive order they're talking about? The first executive order bush signed when he became president was to make teaching abstinence only a condition for giving funding. It's not that there will be more or less funding...it's that he never had any business putting such a stupid and ineffective precondition on money.

I figured it would be the first thing or one of the first things Obama undoes. No surprises. And good on him.

why are we giving money to other countries under any conditions for any reason? last i checked, we're broke.

as for the mexico city rule, repubs put in and dems take it out for the same reason-as a sop to the people who think abortion is the only important issue.

big fucking deal.

not the only issue.... but certainly one that people need to let people make their own decisions about.

oooh oooh...thank you so much for saying that. do we get to pick and choose then? fine...I want back every single penny that was spent on Bush's war and on Gitmo.,

Fair?

knock yourself out.
it'll do you as much good as it will me.
i don't think it's a wise use of money to be funding birth control/family planning in east bumfuckistan no matter what conditions are or are not put upon the $$$.
shoot me now.

knock yourself out.
it'll do you as much good as it will me.
i don't think it's a wise use of money to be funding birth control/family planning in east bumfuckistan no matter what conditions are or are not put upon the $$$.
shoot me now.

but the fact is that it does behoove us to fund such things. and seeing the agenda of religious groups inserted where it had no business being didn't make the funding any less or any greater... it only made it stupider and less effective.

And yes, it will do me as much good as it will you. But no, I won't shoot you. I don't want to have to help break in a new mod. :lol:

You mean like the Schiavo thing?:lol:

Funny that. Go back and look. I was in the minority there, when it was 'a very conservative board.' I believe in the rule of law. I'm far from a thumper and far from your condescending sense of right and wrong.

but the fact is that it does behoove us to fund such things. and seeing the agenda of religious groups inserted where it had no business being didn't make the funding any less or any greater... it only made it stupider and less effective.

And yes, it will do me as much good as it will you. But no, I won't shoot you. I don't want to have to help break in a new mod. :lol:

that would be an opinion, not a fact.
i don't know if you've heard, but we're broke. seems to me, not spending money on feel good crap like family planning in the canary islands is a good idea.
thanks for not shooting me, though.

The sources said Obama may use the occasion to reverse the "Mexico City policy" reinstated in 2001 by Bush that prohibits U.S. money from funding international family planning groups that promote abortion or provide information, counseling or referrals about abortion services. It bans any organization receiving family planning funds from the U.S. Agency for International Development from offering abortions or abortion counseling.
----------------------------------
Spending our tax money to support abortions all over the world....? Great!
but,
It would be better used for abortions in Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, LA and SF, and many other US cities....

oooh oooh...thank you so much for saying that. do we get to pick and choose then? fine...I want back every single penny that was spent on Bush's war and on Gitmo.,

Fair?

Ask Nancy Pelosi for it. She controls the purse.

I can't imagine why we might be unhappy about the deaths of minorities around the world. Arent we the heartless racists?

But what do you know, we are unhappy about the murder of people around the world. And you guys aren't unhappy about it. Ironic, no?

Fair?

Ouch!

That was totally not cool! Now you're going to make the bible thumpers angry, by pointing out how much money they spent on their iraq war

Ouch!

That was totally not cool! Now you're going to make the bible thumpers angry, by pointing out how much money they spent on their iraq war

Is this the same war key democrats voted for and supported well after it was clear there were no WMD's?

New Topics

Forum List

Back