The GOP Turnout Myth

You guy's can argue the 2008 vs 2012 turnout numbers all day and night it really doesn't matter the simple truth is Obama just did a better job of getting his message out especially in the last week or so of the election and rallying his base.

What a lot of people don't want to admit is that Romney never had a lead in the polls. While there were a couple of GOP leaning polls showing Romney tied or ahead, I think Gallup really screwed things up giving Republicans this idea that Romney was actually ahead and was going to win. Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy messed things up bad as Gallup shut down for one week on presidential polling. If they had continued to release their daily polls, everyone would have seen how Romney's so called seven point lead was quickly evaporating away. By the time Gallup did release a final poll, I think they were showing Romney up by one point. When factoring in a number of other more Democratic leaning polls, we were seeing some substantial leads for Obama. It was just a strange thing how all Republicans got sucked in by those numbers. But even with Rasmussen and Gallup showing Romney ahead, even their final numbers were within the margin of error.

The bottom line is that Romney had a run that made him competitive up until about one week before the election. That last week though, everything was moving toward Obama, and since Romney never had a real lead, that was the end of the game. Republicans need to quit thinking they were ever actually in this game. That is their first mistake. Thinking that will only lead them into making the same mistakes next time around.

I think the real problem is that most Americans are apathetic to voting anymore because they think it doesn't matter. I'm sure all of us have heard at some point, "The government/media/corporations/rich/etc. are going to put who they want as president in the white house no matter what" or something like that. You know, they're basically say they don't matter because the election was predetermined or what have you.

Forum List

Back