the gop: then and now

A quick Google search indicates that Santorum said those words during an interview on NPR in the summer of 2005. Multiple references to that interview online. Couldn't find the audio, didn't look that hard.

Thing is, Goldwater was right. These folks are so consumed by their religion - or, perhaps better, their interpretation of their religion - that they don't seem to understand anything outside of their little world. Okay, knock yerselves out, go for it.

And just think, at the time Goldwater was considered extremist

Goldwater had to deal with the John Birch Society types who would welcome Santorum for his current views

The Cato Institute’s David Boaz quoted Santorum from a 2006 interview on Santorum’s way to becoming a former U.S. senator:

One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish right. You know, the left has gone so far left and the right in some respects has gone so far right that they touch each other. They come around in the circle. This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.

Rick Santorum v. Limited Government | Cato @ Liberty

Another source: Rick Santorum v. Individual Liberty - Outside the Beltway

That damned liberal Cato institute?
Who would believe them?

To funny to watch the rethugs try and deny what their messenger from God is saying.

Face it ya'll. Santorum is not going to be President. Ever. He is an idiot. And Taliban like.

We will not put up with that kind of bull shit in America.

The right wingers like that kind of "shit".

Wait till someone breaks the fetus-hugging story.
That'll be the SECOND highest result when you type "Santorum" into a search engine.

Did you also know his wife slept with an abortion doctor before he DUMPED her for like 6 years before they were married?
Now she's virulently anti-abortion? Nope...no revenge issues driving that marriage.

Wait till someone breaks the fetus-hugging story.
That'll be the SECOND highest result when you type "Santorum" into a search engine.

Did you also know his wife slept with an abortion doctor before he DUMPED her for like 6 years before they were married?
Now she's virulently anti-abortion? Nope...no revenge issues driving that marriage.

old news

As an evangelical Christian conservative and member of the Tea Party, I feel compelled to respond here. For some reason, those on the left feel that people like me would just LOVE Rick Santorum to be the nominee for President of the United States from the GOP. Nothing could be farther from the truth. And here's why.

Rick Santorum has ZERO business sense. Romney has run businesses, he has come in and turned around sinking ships and made them profitable. Tea Party activists such as myself, understand that this country is in dire trouble. You can't spend a trillion dollars more than you bring in every year without consequences. Eventually, you will wind up like Greece and Italy. Spending MUST be cut and it must be cut drastically. Hopefully, you can increase the overall economic engine that drives this country which will increase revenue, but you MUST cut spending. And yes, you're going to have to make some hard decisions to cut entitlements somewhere. Romney can do that. I don't think Santorum can. Santorum thinks government. Romney thinks business.

Rick Santorum's statements about his religion are fine, but like some of my friends on the left, a person's religious beliefs need to be spoken about on the national stage as many times as they talk about the color of their under wear. I hate abortion. I think that abortion as a means of birth control is morally wrong. However, I also believe that abortion is a state issue, just like same-sex marriage. If California wants legalized abortion for anyone, then I think that is wonderful for California.

As an ex-cop, I also KNOW that rape and incest are crimes that can victimize a woman for many, many years after the initial act. They are as aggregious as murder. They take away something. A case of rape or incest which results in a pregnancy CAN make the woman a victim yet again. The child becomes a symbol of that crime. Neglect and abuse are right around the corner. Unfortunately, although I believe that a child WAS created, I believe that rape or incest does fit the requirements for abortion IF that is what the woman desires.

Conservatives believe that government is THE PROBLEM, not the solution. Freedom is the answer. Government should be lean, mean, effective, and small. Government should not be and cannot be the answer to all of your problems. Santorum is a conservative, but he is a BIG GOVERNMENT conservative. I see no difference between Santorum's type of beliefs about government and the left. Just a matter of what type of intrusion you want government to be involved in. Our friends on the left absolutely LOVE a nanny state telling McDonald's what they can sell and what they can't sell. Santorum and his type LOVE the 'padre' state. Telling you that you can't do this because THEY feel it's not the right thing for you to do. Uh, no...

Government should be out of our lives... period.

santorum-taliban.jpg
This graphic, and you by posting it, spit on the graves of the people murdered and oppressed by the Taliban.
Your opinion is noted as worthless.

The Cato Institute’s David Boaz quoted Santorum from a 2006 interview on Santorum’s way to becoming a former U.S. senator:

One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish right. You know, the left has gone so far left and the right in some respects has gone so far right that they touch each other. They come around in the circle. This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.
Rick Santorum v. Limited Government | Cato @ Liberty

Another source: Rick Santorum v. Individual Liberty - Outside the Beltway

That damned liberal Cato institute?
Who would believe them?

That's funny!

As an evangelical Christian conservative and member of the Tea Party, I feel compelled to respond here. For some reason, those on the left feel that people like me would just LOVE Rick Santorum to be the nominee for President of the United States from the GOP. Nothing could be farther from the truth. And here's why.

Rick Santorum has ZERO business sense. Romney has run businesses, he has come in and turned around sinking ships and made them profitable.

I snipped the rest because I want to ask you about the bolded: which businesses has he run? I don't know any.

Romney basically moved money around, buying and selling debt and the businesses that held that debt. Please show me what company he has run, where he had to hire and fire personnel, meet a payroll, and do all the mundane paperwork that is required to run a business in America.

Also, Romney has never run a small business - why do you think he has the first clue?

Yes, the republicans have become dominated by religious fanatics and the democrats have been infiltrated and overrun by communist party members and sympathizers.

It's a sad political climate in the USA.

goldwater was 100% correct on so many things.

as was eisenhower regarding the military industrial complex

as was carter about energy

Last edited:

Forum List

Back