the gop: then and now

blu

Sep 21, 2009
SY4ri.jpg

sad what the party has become

The Cato Institute’s David Boaz quoted Santorum from a 2006 interview on Santorum’s way to becoming a former U.S. senator:

One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish right. You know, the left has gone so far left and the right in some respects has gone so far right that they touch each other. They come around in the circle. This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.

Rick Santorum v. Limited Government | Cato @ Liberty

Another source: Rick Santorum v. Individual Liberty - Outside the Beltway

Last edited:
Funny circle jerk, lefties. Very entertaining.

Says much about the left that they constantly present their stupidity as fact.

New reputation!

Hi, you have received -1391 reputation points from California Girl.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:

Regards,
California Girl

Note: This is an automated message.

California "Taliban" Girl just negged my above post.

get over it.

i'd neg you for apostrophe abuse if i thought it would have any effect.

Santorum says a lot of crazy stuff, but this really blows my mind. Does he not have any respect for women?

So would you be in favor of executing a child because his father was a rapist?

If you accept the premise that a fetus is a human being, (i don't necessarily) then you accept the premise that abortion is murder, and we don't execute people for the crimes of their parents.

Now, I don't worry about this that much because I've been hearing the "Republicans are going to take away our abortions" for 32 years now, and it was kind of laughable back them.

A quick Google search indicates that Santorum said those words during an interview on NPR in the summer of 2005. Multiple references to that interview online. Couldn't find the audio, didn't look that hard.

Thing is, Goldwater was right. These folks are so consumed by their religion - or, perhaps better, their interpretation of their religion - that they don't seem to understand anything outside of their little world. Okay, knock yerselves out, go for it.

To funny to watch the rethugs try and deny what their messenger from God is saying.

Face it ya'll. Santorum is not going to be President. Ever. He is an idiot. And Taliban like.

We will not put up with that kind of bull shit in America.

A quick Google search indicates that Santorum said those words during an interview on NPR in the summer of 2005. Multiple references to that interview online. Couldn't find the audio, didn't look that hard.

Thing is, Goldwater was right. These folks are so consumed by their religion - or, perhaps better, their interpretation of their religion - that they don't seem to understand anything outside of their little world. Okay, knock yerselves out, go for it.

In an NPR interview in the summer of 2005, Santorum discussed what he called the "libertarianish right," saying "they have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do. Government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulation low and that we shouldn't get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn't get involved in cultural issues, you know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world, and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can't go it alone. . . . "

The Federalist: Rick Santorum and the GOP Culture War

yeah, i want this tool in charge of my country.

thanks for the google filter so I could get a linked quote.

everyone plz rep him

The problem is, religion is never a loser for either side.

Obama got his start by hitching his wagon to Jerimiah "God Damn America" Wright because when his ambitions matched his talents (representing the slums of the South Side), that's who you went with.

When he had to appeal to white suburban soccer moms, he threw Wright under the bus after throwing Granny under the bus didn't work.

At no point, was he ever going to say, "Talking Snakes. What are you people stupid?"

To funny to watch the rethugs try and deny what their messenger from God is saying.

Face it ya'll. Santorum is not going to be President. Ever. He is an idiot. And Taliban like.

We will not put up with that kind of bull shit in America.

I think you put more faith in Americans than I do.

Santorum won't be the nominee because he doesn't have the resources and he's not a particularly good campaigner. A more articulate guy with more money could push the same message, win the GOP nomination easily, and give Obama a real scare.

Still, I hope he wins Michigan, because that will tell the establishment that Romney's really not acceptable, and they'll be forced to get someone else in the race.

Forum List

Back