The GOP has begun attacking the tea party

The Tea Party is made up of regular people , now, the GOP has a lot of influence in it and I don't care for that however in a two party system, are people who are screaming for less government going to attend a Tea Party or go to a Nancy Pelosi reelection rally, there simply isn't many choices with our draconian election laws keeping third parties in the minority.

I personally think the Tea Party AND the GOP is trying to find itself and the GOP is trying to realign ;with so many various factions, it has basically two choices, to continue with it's neo/social "conservative" agenda of the past 20-30 years or go to the libertarian/paleo conservative Taft/Goldwater past that seems to have the groundswell of support of the younger voters. I am hoping that the latter gains control.

Me too , it will be the best thing for the country and also the democratic party.

The Tea Party is made up of regular people , now, the GOP has a lot of influence in it and I don't care for that however in a two party system, are people who are screaming for less government going to attend a Tea Party or go to a Nancy Pelosi reelection rally, there simply isn't many choices with our draconian election laws keeping third parties in the minority.

I personally think the Tea Party AND the GOP is trying to find itself and the GOP is trying to realign ;with so many various factions, it has basically two choices, to continue with it's neo/social "conservative" agenda of the past 20-30 years or go to the libertarian/paleo conservative Taft/Goldwater past that seems to have the groundswell of support of the younger voters. I am hoping that the latter gains control.

Me too , it will be the best thing for the country and also the democratic party.

So, no matter what they do, it'll "be the best thing for the country and also the democratic party"? Now , if that isn't a partisan sentence, I have not seen one in my close to 50 years of living.:lol:

So, no matter what they do, it'll "be the best thing for the country and also the democratic party"? Now , if that isn't a partisan sentence, I have not seen one in my close to 50 years of living.:lol:

Let me type this slowly so you can understand.

When you narrow your party you narrow your voting base.

I think the mainstream 'sensible' Republicans are just fearful that the tea partiers are going to impose an unelectable nut on the GOP in the 2012 presidential election. Winning a district or even a state is a helluva lot different than winning nationally.

There's no way to maintain the Reagan coallition over time, without a charismatic leader. You're right, that's essentially the rift. Neocons v social conservatives v fiscal conservative v corporatists provides so little common ground that any real compromise is near impossible.

Doesn't surprise me.

The GOP isn't a monolithic organziation, either.

The struggle for power within the parties is no less real than the stuggle for power between the parties.

They are leaderless right now and the factions are vying for power.

Its a great thing for America that their power is split

Let me type this slowly so you can understand.

When you narrow your party you narrow your voting base.

I don't think attracting young people;like the more libertarian side seems to do within the party is going to narrow the base. Now is that simple enough of a statement for you?

You seem to be skeered that they may take from the Democratic Party and independents, when one Party realigns, usually it means both have to by necessity, where do you think we got the neo/social roaches from to begin with, they were DEmocrats back 30 years ago, hell, many were called "Reagan Democrats", Reagan even wrote a speech called "The new Republican Party"; Reagan 2020 - Ronald Reagan - The New Republican Party ; and in it was this very passage ;"The so-called social issues -- law and order, abortion, busing, quota systems -- are usually associated with blue-collar, ethnic and religious groups themselves traditionally associated with the Democratic Party. The economic issues -- inflation, deficit spending and big government -- are usually associated with Republican Party members and independents who concentrate their attention on economic matters"; that coalition worked then, now, it has become fractored;imho; hence; the need for realigning.

There's no way to maintain the Reagan coallition over time, without a charismatic leader. You're right, that's essentially the rift. Neocons v social conservatives v fiscal conservative v corporatists provides so little common ground that any real compromise is near impossible.

It's like trying to herd pissed off cats.

The tea partiers are just a new version of the old Pat Buchanan insurgency back in the 90's.

If it was that, there would be more people like me and less like Teapartysamuri supporting them and I stopped supporting them when those types took over.

So who do you support?

I'm very libertarian in my beliefs, I supported Ron Paul in 08 and voted for him and Barry Goldwater Jr. on the Louisiana Taxpayer Party ticket here in Nov. 08.:cool:

Why is it ok to call the Democratic Party a "big tent" but somehow when the right is trying to find itself so to speak....it's mocked and criticized? Seems like a double standard.

If your choice was a democratic party member or a republican party member who would you vote for?

If your choice was a democratic party member or a republican party member who would you vote for?

It would depend on who it was, if it was "Flat top" Bob Conley against Lindsay Graham such as in 08, I would support "Flat top" Bob Conery, if it was Congressman John Duncan against Nancy Pelosi, I'd support Congressman John Duncan, if it was McCain against Obama and I had no other choices, I wouldn't vote.

Did you watch the debates between the two, they seemed to have more in common than those couples on the E Harmony commercials.

I'm done with voting "the lesser of evil", having to choose between throwing our money away and expanding government either here with a "D" behind it's agenda or abroad with an "R" behind it's agenda was not a choice I was going to make in 08, hopefully I'll have a more clear choice in 2012, if not then it'll be third party again or not voting at all.

Last edited:
So you suggest there should always be a perfect choice for YOU?

So you suggest there should always be a perfect choice for YOU?

Not at all, just give me a clear choice between an overall philosophy of more government and less government. We used to have more of a clear choice;at least in rhetoric; but as the saying goes..."9-11 changed everything".

You will NEVER get a candidate that meets all of your wishes until enough Americans agree with you.

They dont so you wont see the candidates you wish to vote for.

Welcome to reality.

Forum List

Back