The GOP dividend: "delegates" outside states don't vote in Congress

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
I love these guys. DC wasn't made a state, or given the rights thereof, for a reason.

The Associated Press: House GOP ends floor voting rights for delegates

WASHINGTON (AP) — One of the first acts of the new Republican-controlled House is to take away the floor voting rights of six delegates representing areas such as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and American Samoa.

"It's very apparent to me that we need to focus on the Constitution and (under the Constitution) states are to be represented in the House of Representatives," said House Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier, R-Calif.

Republicans also point out that delegate votes violate the concept of equal representation. The average constituency for the 435 House representatives is about 700,000. While Puerto Rico has a population of almost 4 million and the District of Columbia 600,000, the other four, all territories, are considerably smaller. American Samoa has 95,000 residents, and The Northern Marianas 48,000.

Seems appropriate to me. There is a process to apply for statehood. Let them do that if they want.

Forum List

Back