The GOP Deserves to Lose

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Let's just say right now what voters will be saying in November, once Barack Obama has been re-elected: Republicans deserve to lose.

It doesn't matter that Mr. Obama can't get the economy out of second gear. It doesn't matter that he cynically betrayed his core promise as a candidate to be a unifying president. It doesn't matter that he keeps blaming Bush. It doesn't matter that he thinks ATMs are weapons of employment destruction. It doesn't matter that Tim Geithner remains secretary of Treasury. It doesn't matter that the result of his "reset" with Russia is Moscow selling fighter jets to Damascus. It doesn't matter that the Obama name is synonymous with the most unpopular law in memory. It doesn't matter that his wife thinks America doesn't deserve him. It doesn't matter that the Evel Knievel theory of fiscal stimulus isn't going to make it over the Snake River Canyon of debt.

Above all, it doesn't matter that Americans are generally eager to send Mr. Obama packing. All they need is to be reasonably sure that the alternative won't be another fiasco. But they can't be reasonably sure, so it's going to be four more years of the disappointment you already know.

Is this the best they can do?

As for the current GOP field, it's like confronting a terminal diagnosis. There may be an apparent range of treatments: conventional (Romney), experimental (Gingrich), homeopathic (Paul) or prayerful (Santorum). But none will avail you in the end. Just try to exit laughing.

That's my theory for why South Carolina gave Newt Gingrich his big primary win on Saturday: Voters instinctively prefer the idea of an entertaining Newt-Obama contest—the aspiring Caesar versus the failed Redeemer—over a dreary Mitt-Obama one. The problem is that voters also know that Gaius Gingrich is liable to deliver his prime-time speeches in purple toga while holding tight to darling Messalina's—sorry, Callista's—bejeweled fingers. A primary ballot for Mr. Gingrich is a vote for an entertaining election, not a Republican in the White House.

Stephens: The GOP Deserves to Lose - WSJ.com

The rest of the article is not kind to my Romney so maybe I shouldn't post it (lol) but naw ... too much in it is bang on.

Well, back to picking out my wardrobe for next year ....

4714509_f260.jpg

world economies dont turn on a dime.

You really do think Obama is a magic negro dont you?

And who do you have to blame for this?

Perhaps if conservatives admitted that cutting taxes on the rich and deregulation weren't very good ideas when implemented?

It does kind of seem as though the GOP don't really want to lead this country. This is their election to lose.

Personally, I think the 'entertainer' vs the 'smart guy' is quite apt. Does the GOP really want an 'entertainer'? Seriously? The rest of the country doesn't.

Your team presided over the crash of the world economy.

They now want us to do the same stupid policies all over again as if they will work "this time".

Get some new ideas that might work.

Then you will see the American people respond to you.

They now want us to do the same stupid policies all over again as if they will work "this time".

I'd settle if they merely acknowledged that their economic policies don't work. At least not as intended. Or did I miss all the jobs created by the Bush tax cuts?

I'd settle if they merely acknowledged that their economic policies don't work. At least not as intended. Or did I miss all the jobs created by the Bush tax cuts?

They cant give up the ideas because what the republican power structure wants depends on these ideas being used.

They want this country handed over to the corporations.

They wont say it that way becasue then they would be stopped from doing it.

They have to feed the right silly talking points that make them look increasingly insane for supporting.

At some point there will be a tipping point.

I think that point is near.

Only the most closed minds will cling to the talking points in the face of reality.

Let's just say right now what voters will be saying in November, once Barack Obama has been re-elected: Republicans deserve to lose.

It doesn't matter that Mr. Obama can't get the economy out of second gear. It doesn't matter that he cynically betrayed his core promise as a candidate to be a unifying president. It doesn't matter that he keeps blaming Bush. It doesn't matter that he thinks ATMs are weapons of employment destruction. It doesn't matter that Tim Geithner remains secretary of Treasury. It doesn't matter that the result of his "reset" with Russia is Moscow selling fighter jets to Damascus. It doesn't matter that the Obama name is synonymous with the most unpopular law in memory. It doesn't matter that his wife thinks America doesn't deserve him. It doesn't matter that the Evel Knievel theory of fiscal stimulus isn't going to make it over the Snake River Canyon of debt.

Above all, it doesn't matter that Americans are generally eager to send Mr. Obama packing. All they need is to be reasonably sure that the alternative won't be another fiasco. But they can't be reasonably sure, so it's going to be four more years of the disappointment you already know.

Is this the best they can do?

As for the current GOP field, it's like confronting a terminal diagnosis. There may be an apparent range of treatments: conventional (Romney), experimental (Gingrich), homeopathic (Paul) or prayerful (Santorum). But none will avail you in the end. Just try to exit laughing.

That's my theory for why South Carolina gave Newt Gingrich his big primary win on Saturday: Voters instinctively prefer the idea of an entertaining Newt-Obama contest—the aspiring Caesar versus the failed Redeemer—over a dreary Mitt-Obama one. The problem is that voters also know that Gaius Gingrich is liable to deliver his prime-time speeches in purple toga while holding tight to darling Messalina's—sorry, Callista's—bejeweled fingers. A primary ballot for Mr. Gingrich is a vote for an entertaining election, not a Republican in the White House.

Stephens: The GOP Deserves to Lose - WSJ.com

The rest of the article is not kind to my Romney so maybe I shouldn't post it (lol) but naw ... too much in it is bang on.

Well, back to picking out my wardrobe for next year ....

4714509_f260.jpg

Remember the other day when I posted, "Its almost as if the GOP said, "The Hell with it!!!"....your quote above is what I wish I had wrote.

Spot on.

WOW. Guess the Dems were hiding in the corner while the economy crashed. According the TDM they are innocent and were merely bystanders. Frank/Dodd anyone. FF anyone.

As for failed polices Barry's trying to use the failed policies of FDR to fix the economy. Didn't work then and it ain't working now.

Mayby he should get some of those new ideas you keep blathering about.

the republicans ideas that have been promoted all my life have failed.

Time to revamp your party with real ideas that might work to make this country better.

Do such a good job that I feel compelled to dump the dems and become a republican.

I would do it in a red hot second if the Republican party truely had some good ideas.

A younger well spoken Paul would dominate. Oh well.

I like the idea of the party falling apart. We are a progressive country, Bush was a Progressive and so is Obama, look how well things are going. It will break down and become conservative by default.

An excellent Wall Street Journal opinion piece. And I especially love the Messalina reference! :lol:

the republicans ideas that have been promoted all my life have failed.

Time to revamp your party with real ideas that might work to make this country better.

Do such a good job that I feel compelled to dump the dems and become a republican.

I would do it in a red hot second if the Republican party truely had some good ideas.

Not my party.

Your Dems could use some real ideas that work and I doubt you would ever be a Rep or even vote for one.

Forum List

Back