The Googleplex

Treeshepherd

Wood Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2014
Endor
Where is economic growth going to come from over the next 20 years? The easy answer to that question has to do with the internet of things (machines that communicate with machines). Smart appliances, smart clothes, smart cars, smart homes where everything in the home communicates with everything else. I jokingly sometimes refer to the smart toilet of the future which chemically analyses your waste and makes recommendations to your food delivery app. We're going to be bombarded with information quantifying every aspect of our life, or rather our gadgets will be. A standard 'gadget' in the Google ecosystem will be a domestic robot.

It's natural to predict that in the near-future you'll live in a Google/Android home, or an Apple home. Google recently purchased Nest, a company known for making the learning thermostat. This is one of Google's plays as it competes for the market of near-future smart homes. I'm forecasting that the new addition to the Googleplex in Mountain View, California may become the testing ground for the future of housing.

The new 1.1 million acre Googleplex campus will include 5,000 units of housing. I can only assume that these housing units will incorporate the latest smart-home technology. All automobile traffic will occur underground, presumably with plenty of EV charging stations. Free Google buses will bring people in to work from off-campus (San Jose, SF, East Bay). Being right on the Bay, they'll probably have a Google ferry. The surface of the campus is exclusively designed for walking and biking. Edible landscaping will be planted throughout. Google has purchased the Altamont Pass wind facility to be redesigned with bird-friendly Google turbines to power the campus. The Googleplex campuses that exist already are outfitted with 1.6 mW of solar power.

I have mixed feelings about where Google is taking the future of the American home. Ostensibly, I'm in favor of alternative transportation, yards to farms, rooftops to kilowatts, and cutting waste (in this case being achieved via smart-home technology).

But, in order to achieve noble goals, or just to be trendy, are my future grandchildren going to end up living as drones on Google and Apple plantations?

Google bought no less than 7 robot companies last year. Part of building an effective domestic robot is designing a robot-friendly home. For example, you might design Android home software to coordinate the robot with your dishwashing machine and robot-friendly dishes and dish storage in order for your robot to effectively handle the dishes.

Google bought no less than 7 robot companies last year. Part of building an effective domestic robot is designing a robot-friendly home. For example, you might design Android home software to coordinate the robot with your dishwashing machine and robot-friendly dishes and dish storage in order for your robot to effectively handle the dishes.
I am still waiting for my rocket pack they promised me in the seventies so I wont be trowing out my dish rack

I am still waiting for my rocket pack they promised me in the seventies so I wont be trowing out my dish rack

The Jetsons lived in the Skypad Apartment complex. Rosie, their robot maid, handled all the boring domestic chores that we spend so much time on.

Rosie is the Jetsons' household robot. She's an outdated model but the Jetsons love her and would never trade her for a newer model. Rosie does all the housework and some of the parenting. She is a strong authoritarian and occasionally dispenses pills to the family. Excluding a scene from the closing credits, Rosie appears in only two episodes of the original 1960s show, but makes many appearances on the 1980s show.

California by itself is the 7th largest economy in the world. What's going to drive the transformation of the American home is the need for continued economic growth. And I think it's been thoroughly demonstrated that the world is enthusiastically disposed toward being Californicated.

Where is economic growth going to come from over the next 20 years? The easy answer to that question has to do with the internet of things (machines that communicate with machines). Smart appliances, smart clothes, smart cars, smart homes where everything in the home communicates with everything else. I jokingly sometimes refer to the smart toilet of the future which chemically analyses your waste and makes recommendations to your food delivery app. We're going to be bombarded with information quantifying every aspect of our life, or rather our gadgets will be. A standard 'gadget' in the Google ecosystem will be a domestic robot.

It's natural to predict that in the near-future you'll live in a Google/Android home, or an Apple home. Google recently purchased Nest, a company known for making the learning thermostat. This is one of Google's plays as it competes for the market of near-future smart homes. I'm forecasting that the new addition to the Googleplex in Mountain View, California may become the testing ground for the future of housing.

The new 1.1 million acre Googleplex campus will include 5,000 units of housing. I can only assume that these housing units will incorporate the latest smart-home technology. All automobile traffic will occur underground, presumably with plenty of EV charging stations. Free Google buses will bring people in to work from off-campus (San Jose, SF, East Bay). Being right on the Bay, they'll probably have a Google ferry. The surface of the campus is exclusively designed for walking and biking. Edible landscaping will be planted throughout. Google has purchased the Altamont Pass wind facility to be redesigned with bird-friendly Google turbines to power the campus. The Googleplex campuses that exist already are outfitted with 1.6 mW of solar power.

I have mixed feelings about where Google is taking the future of the American home. Ostensibly, I'm in favor of alternative transportation, yards to farms, rooftops to kilowatts, and cutting waste (in this case being achieved via smart-home technology).

But, in order to achieve noble goals, or just to be trendy, are my future grandchildren going to end up living as drones on Google and Apple plantations?

More 'smart' things come to be, the more I worry we'll be 'dumber.' :)

Been watching a lot of the Alaskan reality shows of late and I find myself marvelling over the self-reliance of those people. Thinking of myself dropped in to the Alaskan wild, I'd be dead in days. I know because I always wanna kill myself during a power outage. :)

We're too dependent upon electricty and all the resulting conveniences. If terrorists ever detonate an EMP we're are so completely uttery and royally fucked.

Forum List

Back