******* The Goodness of GOD *******

And if you do not worship god you will be cast into the lake of fire to suffer eternally?
Not if you are a mean or evil person, but just because you do not worship god.

I always had a problem with that one in convincing me that god loved all and was good.

That is why I can never claim to be an adherent of any one religion - I always find myself at extreme odds over dogma.

I don't believe in a physical "heaven" or "hell", unless you define it as a presence or absence of God maybe. We make our own heaven and hell, maybe with divine inspiration.

And I can't buy into any religion who condemns for eternity the actions of one moment in time or, would condemn someone for "sins" that make no sense.

Dogma is problematic.

I'm looking at the anti-Islam commentary against the religion as a whole, endorsing narrow-minded views with out ever once considering that Islam has depths and nuances, much like Christianity. It's a viewpoint that paints all Muslims as extremists while hypocritically holding to a different standard for Christianity.

Yes, but you said 'followed by many', and a handful of people posting in a thread on a message board seems a little bit of a narrow scope for making a comment like that about the 'many' who are christians.

I'm referring to those who profess to be Christians on this messageboard only - I'm not talking about Christians overall. And you are right, the scope is narrow, it's just that that grouping of people seem to have the loudest voices and the capacity to stir others to similar points of view. And then I have to wonder - when do words become action?

And I think the point of the thread is that Christians are told all the time that they should be tolerant, caring, and accepting of other's feelings and lifestyles, yet that same expectation is apparently not visited equally to other religious groups.

In this case, it's specifically muslims that are not expected to be caring, tolerant, or accepting of other's feelings towards what their fellow mulsims did to 3,000 innocent people. Why do you think the expectations are different? And be honest, if it was a bunch of christian whackos that killed all of those people and the same group wanted to build a church within spitting distance of the site of where it happened, who's side do you think those defending the mosque would be on then? I would bet a million bucks without the blink of an eye that they'd be protesting the church and the insensitivity of the christians wanting to place it there.

And what do you base that on? Are you not applying your own narrow scope here based upon what you see in the internet and media - the loudest and most hateful voices? Do you then judge the entire faith on those voices?

You seem to be doing exactly what you condemn others for doing.

You mean just like the group who felt compelled to get on this thread that The Light made with nothing but good will and basically trash it with their crap? If so, then I can definitely relate.

I'm basing my views on how I'm seeing the mosque being defended by a specific group of people on here as well as in the media, it's quite telling. And if the muslims were apologetic and sensitive to other's feelings, they wouldn't have picked that sight for a mosque, nor would they have named it what they were originally planning on naming it.

Oh, I completely understand what you're saying, and that's a personal failing that has nothing to do with God tho, so not sure why that would be a part of it as if it were a cause. People can abuse anything and rationalize anything, God has nothing to do with that.

No. I don't think you understand at all what I'm saying.

And, yes. They can, can't they?

Yes, I do understand. Your poem implicates God as a reason, I'm saying that people can use God as a reason, but that doesn't mean that God is a reason that people can be that way.

No, of course it doesn't - but passion can overrule reason, with it's religious passion or ideological passions, they can blind us momentarily.

People can use religion as a reason for their shortcomings of being blinded by righteousness, but it's their own failing and has nothing to do with religion. The Bible warns often of exactly what you are describing, being full of righteousness and truth. I think many people critically think about their faith and question it and seek the answers to those questions. Some may not and could be described as you said, but I think that most are not that way.

I agree, accept for the "most". I do not know most Christians, just as you do not know most Muslims. I can not make that sort of judgement. I think we all wrestle with human nature, and we interpret our chosen faith's in different ways.

Who's to say who is right or wrong? Everyone seems to be able to find scripture to suit their purpose whether it's in the Koran or the Bible or the Book of Mormon.

Yes, but you said 'followed by many', and a handful of people posting in a thread on a message board seems a little bit of a narrow scope for making a comment like that about the 'many' who are christians.

I'm referring to those who profess to be Christians on this messageboard only - I'm not talking about Christians overall. And you are right, the scope is narrow, it's just that that grouping of people seem to have the loudest voices and the capacity to stir others to similar points of view. And then I have to wonder - when do words become action?

And I think the point of the thread is that Christians are told all the time that they should be tolerant, caring, and accepting of other's feelings and lifestyles, yet that same expectation is apparently not visited equally to other religious groups.

In this case, it's specifically muslims that are not expected to be caring, tolerant, or accepting of other's feelings towards what their fellow mulsims did to 3,000 innocent people. Why do you think the expectations are different? And be honest, if it was a bunch of christian whackos that killed all of those people and the same group wanted to build a church within spitting distance of the site of where it happened, who's side do you think those defending the mosque would be on then? I would bet a million bucks without the blink of an eye that they'd be protesting the church and the insensitivity of the christians wanting to place it there.

And what do you base that on? Are you not applying your own narrow scope here based upon what you see in the internet and media - the loudest and most hateful voices? Do you then judge the entire faith on those voices?

You mean just like the group who felt compelled to get on this thread that The Light made with nothing but good will and basically trash it with their crap? If so, then I can definitely relate.

That's the nature of the messageboard.

I'm basing my views on how I'm seeing the mosque being defended by a specific group of people on here as well as in the media, it's quite telling. And if the muslims were apologetic and sensitive to other's feelings, they wouldn't have picked that sight for a mosque, nor would they have named it what they were originally planning on naming it.

It is also quite telling, to see the media and groups of people here trashing the objectives of Cordoba project, and trashing the Islamic faiths.

You do not see this do you?

It might be worthwhile, as a Christian, to explore what the history of Cordoba really is and means. Don't just take Newt's word for it.

Last edited:
No. I don't think you understand at all what I'm saying.

And, yes. They can, can't they?

Yes, I do understand. Your poem implicates God as a reason, I'm saying that people can use God as a reason, but that doesn't mean that God is a reason that people can be that way.

No, of course it doesn't - but passion can overrule reason, with it's religious passion or ideological passions, they can blind us momentarily.

People can use religion as a reason for their shortcomings of being blinded by righteousness, but it's their own failing and has nothing to do with religion. The Bible warns often of exactly what you are describing, being full of righteousness and truth. I think many people critically think about their faith and question it and seek the answers to those questions. Some may not and could be described as you said, but I think that most are not that way.

I agree, accept for the "most". I do not know most Christians, just as you do not know most Muslims. I can not make that sort of judgement. I think we all wrestle with human nature, and we interpret our chosen faith's in different ways.

Who's to say who is right or wrong? Everyone seems to be able to find scripture to suit their purpose whether it's in the Koran or the Bible or the Book of Mormon.

My view on that is that only you have to be at peace with what you believe, it's as simple as that. I would never try to force my beliefs on anyone else, and I only expect the same of those around me. I don't know much about the muslim religion, but from what I have seen, it doesn't seem as though they have the same philosophy.

I'm looking at the anti-Islam commentary against the religion as a whole, endorsing narrow-minded views with out ever once considering that Islam has depths and nuances, much like Christianity. It's a viewpoint that paints all Muslims as extremists while hypocritically holding to a different standard for Christianity.

And I think the point of the thread is that Christians are told all the time that they should be tolerant, caring, and accepting of other's feelings and lifestyles, yet that same expectation is apparently not visited equally to other religious groups. In this case, it's specifically muslims that are not expected to be caring, tolerant, or accepting of other's feelings towards what their fellow mulsims did to 3,000 innocent people. Why do you think the expectations are different? And be honest, if it was a bunch of christian whackos that killed all of those people and the same group wanted to build a church within spitting distance of the site of where it happened, who's side do you think those defending the mosque would be on then? I would bet a million bucks without the blink of an eye that they'd be protesting the church and the insensitivity of the christians wanting to place it there.

You know......Christians regularly denounce some of the fringe idiots of their faith.

Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church is a good example.

I want to know why the Muslims in American haven't denounced their fringe whackos?

They have, a simple search will provide quite a few examples.

It is also quite telling, to see the media and groups of people here trashing the objectives of Cordoba project, and trashing the Islamic faiths.

It might be worthwhile, as a Christian, to explore what the history of Cordoba really is and means. Don't just take Newt's word for it.

I know what the history is. Tell me how you come to a different conclusion?

My view on that is that only you have to be at peace with what you believe, it's as simple as that. I would never try to force my beliefs on anyone else, and I only expect the same of those around me. I don't know much about the muslim religion, but from what I have seen, it doesn't seem as though they have the same philosophy.

In that we agree, I feel the same way.

Islam has a great deal of depth that is not explored in popular media and propaganda that prefers to sensationalize the extremists, and that includes living in peace with other faiths. The Sufi sect in particular, is worth learning about if you stay clear of the anti-Islamic sites.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/2602127-post310.html

A thread dedicated to the Creator of the Universe and the Saviour of all mankind, Jesus Christ!:eusa_angel:

the goodness of god can be overestimated and it usually is.

condemning billions of good and decent people to eternal hell fire simply because they didn't believe in god

or because they had sex outside of marriage

or got divorced

or were gay

doesn't sound so "good" to me.

No one goes to hell for getting divorced, being gay, having sex outside marriage, or anything else of that kind. The only thing one goes to hell for is rejecting Jesus Christ as Lord of their life. We all make mistakes and fall short, even when you get saved you are not instantly perfect. God understands that and that is why it requires GRACE and for some of us an abundance of it.:lol:

Islam has a great deal of depth that is not explored in popular media and propaganda that prefers to sensationalize the extremists, and that includes living in peace with other faiths. The Sufi sect in particular, is worth learning about if you stay clear of the anti-Islamic sites.

Islam is much more than a religion. You are held to their religious standards and beliefs under their legal system, there is not separation of church and state. They do not respect women's rights, and until they do and they separate the political and legal implications of it, I will not see it as merely a religion.

From what I understand they've razed the biggest church in any area they've conquered and placed a mosque in it's place as a symbol of their supremacy and dominion. You're saying that's not true?

Islam is much more than a religion. You are held to their religious standards and beliefs under their legal system, there is not separation of church and state. They do not respect women's rights, and until they do and they separate the political and legal implications of it, I will not see it as merely a religion.

Islam is a religion in transition - it's a medievil religion facing reformation in the modern world. It is no different than Christianity several centuries ago when it was a political force, intolerant of other beliefs.

Separation of church and state is a very modern concept, and it is still a struggle to maintain it in this country. Islam has a lot further to go, and the way in which it is practiced differs throughout the world. You apply one standard of Islam to all Muslims yet the vast majority of Muslims in this country are like the vast majority of Christians and Jews - largely secular. They don't believe in religious law - eye for and eye - death for homosexuals - etc. You would paint all Muslims as fundamentalist yet you are outraged if people do the same for Christians?

From what I understand they've razed the biggest church in any area they've conquered and placed a mosque in it's place as a symbol of their supremacy and dominion. You're saying that's not true?

According to who?

Many Christian churches were built upon the destroyed remains of pagan religious centers when Christians conquored territories. In fact, I strongly suspect that many conquoring religions did just that, to make a point of the dominance of their beliefs on the conquored peoples.

What I can't figure out is why Islam is singled out in this regard.

As far as Cordoba - read what that Medievil scholar has to say.

Its funny how a thread with this title would attract the God/religious-hating atheists.

He is a father so loving, he tortured and killed his only son.

He didn't torture and kill His only son, men did.

But being all knowing, He would have known what was going to happen and intervened by crushing every human being on the planet and starting over with human V2.0.

According to who?

Many Christian churches were built upon the destroyed remains of pagan religious centers when Christians conquored territories. In fact, I strongly suspect that many conquoring religions did just that, to make a point of the dominance of their beliefs on the conquored peoples.

According to history.

Christians are no longer tearing down other's churches and replacing them with their own like they did hundreds of years ago. Islam is singled out because they are still doing it.

I read it... I found this interesting...

From the post that you linked...

According to Wikipedia: It was captured in 711[3] by a Muslim army

for a ruler to be legitimate in Muslim eyes in the tenth century, during the time when the Great Mosque was being expanded into its present-day dimensions, it was important to emphasize the peaceful succession of Islam from the other religions in the area.

Do you get the irony in that at all? :lol: And why did their religion have to have dominance, why did people have to convert at the end of a sword to their religion?

According to who?

According to history.

What history?

Christians are no longer tearing down other's churches and replacing them with their own like they did hundreds of years ago. Islam is singled out because they are still doing it.

Source?

I read it... I found this interesting...

From the post that you linked...

According to Wikipedia: It was captured in 711[3] by a Muslim army

for a ruler to be legitimate in Muslim eyes in the tenth century, during the time when the Great Mosque was being expanded into its present-day dimensions, it was important to emphasize the peaceful succession of Islam from the other religions in the area.

Do you get the irony in that at all? :lol: And why did their religion have to have dominance, why did people have to convert at the end of a sword to their religion?

Same reason that Christianity did during those eras - we're talking 7th century - over 1300 years ago.

From the same post I linked to (this is the part you left out): A caliph was expected to have arrived at an accord with the Christians and Jews over which he ruled.****** Far from "symboliz[ing] their victory" the Mosque was held up by Muslim historians a symbol of peaceful coexistence with the Christians--however messier the actual relations of Christians and Muslims were at the time.*******

Last edited:
Its funny how a thread with this title would attract the God/religious-hating atheists.

But being all knowing, He would have known what was going to happen and intervened by crushing every human being on the planet and starting over with human V2.0.

Let me get this straight. You are complaining that G-d didn't turn his back on all of us and let all of us go to hell rather than finding a way to save us.

I find it remarkable that people sit and squabble about the gift that they have been handed. It is like having a life saver through to you as you are drowning in the middle of an ocean and you have the nerve to say, I don't want to hold on because it isn't perfectly round and it doesn't fit my body just quite right.

Gee, who do you sound like...

38Two robbers were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left. 39Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads 40and saying, "You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!"
41In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. 42"He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself! He's the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, 'I am the Son of God.' " 44In the same way the robbers who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.

Forum List

Back