the "good old days", the years before Reagan?

Just a thought.

The "safety net" was shredded by him, giving poor people little hope. So many of them turned to crime against the "haves".

The "haves" reacted with their "war against crime" rather than addressing it's root causes.

Even today, you GOPpers are still more interested in fighting crime than addressing it's causes.

Yep, them Carter years were the best.

Just a thought.

The "safety net" was shredded by him, giving poor people little hope. So many of them turned to crime against the "haves".

The "haves" reacted with their "war against crime" rather than addressing it's root causes.

Even today, you GOPpers are still more interested in fighting crime than addressing it's causes.

Oh I remember those "good old days" of Carter, the days of 18% mortgage rates, the days of every time he spoke he had a dark cloud over his head.
I remember any time I saw him on TV I would think, oh god, what's happened now!

Don't forget the hostage crisis, and having to wait in line for gas!

Those were the good ol days!

Stagflation and Norman Lear all through prime time.

Well Carter can't be blamed for Norman...

Just a thought.

LBJ addressed the root cause of crime with his "war on poverty". How did that turn out? Poverty increased and the National debt increased and Black families were torn apart because Uncle Sam became the new head of the household just like democrats planned.

That's not true. Poverty actually decreased...

And black families were torn apart because they didn't have terribly deep roots to start with. Even before the "Great Society", black illegitimacy was 25% compared to 5% for whites. A lot of it had to do with the fact that going back to slavery, there was no legal concept of marriage for black folks. Oh, people had relationships, but they could sell off your spouse or your kids on a moments notice. So the African American Family only had a few decades to actually develop before the whole notion of families got redefined in the 1960's.

Just a thought.

The crime rates were up during the Carter regime, how do explain that? It actually went down when Reagan was in office, so I am wondering where you are getting your info or are you just making crap up?

That's not exactly true...

090601-hmfj-chart-5.jpg

Crime spiked in the 1970's, started going down in the early 80's, but spiked right back up again as the cocaine epidemic hit. It's been declining since the 1990's, but that has as much to do with the baby boomers being too old for this shit than anything else.

So yes, they did go up during the Carter admin.

And they're going up now, too...at least in Chicagoland.

To get a handle on "the years before Reagan" you have to consider the information available to Americans to allow them to make the best decisions. Before Reagan there was no "talk radio" or Fox news or pretty much any information except what the liberal media allowed Americans to hear. Tricky Dick Nixon engaged in the long standing dirty tricks that LBJ and JFK and Ike and Truman and FDR enged in but Nixon became a target of two Post reporters, one of which was the son of card carrying Communists and most likely was taught to hate Nixon who was a federal prosecutor involved with the communist threat to the US. Anyway it seems that the reporters were able to use unverified information from a source that was kept secret until he died and could not answer any questions. How fair and balanced was that? Walter Cronkite was the "most trusted" man in the media but he was a left wing zealot. My point is that it's a credit to the intelligence of the American people that Reagan was elected in a landslide when their was no other source of information available to Americans except liberal propaganda.

To get a handle on "the years before Reagan" you have to consider the information available to Americans to allow them to make the best decisions. Before Reagan there was no "talk radio" or Fox news or pretty much any information except what the liberal media allowed Americans to hear. Tricky Dick Nixon engaged in the long standing dirty tricks that LBJ and JFK and Ike and Truman and FDR enged in but Nixon became a target of two Post reporters, one of which was the son of card carrying Communists and most likely was taught to hate Nixon who was a federal prosecutor involved with the communist threat to the US. Anyway it seems that the reporters were able to use unverified information from a source that was kept secret until he died and could not answer any questions. How fair and balanced was that? Walter Cronkite was the "most trusted" man in the media but he was a left wing zealot. My point is that it's a credit to the intelligence of the American people that Reagan was elected in a landslide when their was no other source of information available to Americans except liberal propaganda.

You're weird interpretation of Watergate aside, Talk Radio has not been good for the conservative movement.

The very fact that stalwarts of the REpublican Party like Arlen Spectre and Dick Lugar are being run out of the party on a rail, and Romney, who actually used to be a sensible moderate, has to cower before Limbaugh, Nugent and Trump, shows just how off the rails the GOP has gone in recent years.

You should sell whatever it is you're on. I'm pretty sure people would snap that shit up.

Seriously. Cower before Nugent?

Forum List

Back