The God Vacuum: America and the barbarian hordes

What you are describing is a wholly internal and subjective experience. It cannot be experienced or demonstrated by, or to, anyone else. As such it is of little use in describing reality and leads us to no genuinely useful conclusions.

WOW - that exact description could be used for "The Theory of Evolution" too :D

What you are describing is a wholly internal and subjective experience. It cannot be experienced or demonstrated by, or to, anyone else. As such it is of little use in describing reality and leads us to no genuinely useful conclusions.

Again, you refuse to bother trying so you write it off as subjective. The fact is anyone who is willing to experiment on the Word can learn the will of God for themselves in their daily life.

WOW - that exact description could be used for "The Theory of Evolution" too :D

Uhhhhh...no. Let's review the definition of "theory", shall we?

<blockquote>Main Entry: <b>the·o·ry</b>
Pronunciation: 'thE-&-rE, 'thir-E
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -<b>ries</b>
Etymology: Late Latin theoria, from Greek theOria, from theOrein
<b>1 :</b> the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary</blockquote>

Notice the key word there, "facts". Facts are derived from the observation of objective phenomena and events over time. It is the observed relationships between these events and phenomena from which we derive working theories. Further independent observation and experimentation provide independently and repeatably verifiable evidence to support a given theory, or disprove it. Either way, it is an empirical process, independently verifiable and repeatable. Such cannot be said for mystical or divine revelation.

Again, you refuse to bother trying so you write it off as subjective. The fact is anyone who is willing to experiment on the Word can learn the will of God for themselves in their daily life.

I am not writing anything off. I'm simply stating the facts of the matter. Religious experience is subjective experience. And while it provides many with meaningful experiences that enhance their lives, those experiences are subjective. They cannot be independently verified by an outside observer. There can be no valid "experimentation" since there is no way to set up any controlled conditions which can be monitored by an independent outside observer.

Define "conventional morality" please.

The kind of morality that would deem it wrong to decimate economies based on environmental lies. The kind of morality that says slave labor is not justified by growth in gdp. Stuff like this.

This reminds me of the inhuman elitists who preach compulsory nihilism.

Is there such a human being as an inhuman elitists? How can a human be inhuman? Anyway, I probably would not like inhuman elitists. I certainly don’t like compulsory nihilism.

The kind of morality that would deem it wrong to decimate economies based on environmental lies. The kind of morality that says slave labor is not justified by growth in gdp. Stuff like this.

And what "environmental lies" might that be? Please be specific and provide links.

Are you infering that there are instances where slave-labor is justified? And what GDP growth is being supported by slave labor?

The ostensive definitions you cite, and "stuff like this", don't really serve to get at the underpinnings of your "conventional morality". What are its epistemological roots? Its ontological roots?

And what "environmental lies" might that be? Please be specific and provide links.

Are you infering that there are instances where slave-labor is justified? And what GDP growth is being supported by slave labor?

The ostensive definitions you cite, and "stuff like this", don't really serve to get at the underpinnings of your "conventional morality". What are its epistemological roots? Its ontological roots?

wow. You said "epistemological". That's cool.

wow. You said "epistemological". That's cool.

Yes. Having to do with epistemology

<blockquote><b>epis·te·mol·o·gy</b>
Pronunciation: i-"pis-t&-'mä-l&-jE
Etymology: Greek epistEmE knowledge, from epistanai to understand, know, from epi- + histanai to cause to stand -- more at STAND
: the study or a theory of the nature and grounds of knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity</blockquote>

What is the substance of your definition of "conventional morality" and, how did you arrive at it? Or don't you really know?

Yes. Having to do with epistemology

<blockquote><b>epis·te·mol·o·gy</b>
Pronunciation: i-"pis-t&-'mä-l&-jE
Etymology: Greek epistEmE knowledge, from epistanai to understand, know, from epi- + histanai to cause to stand -- more at STAND
: the study or a theory of the nature and grounds of knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity</blockquote>

What is the substance of your definition of "conventional morality" and, how did you arrive at it? Or don't you really know?

Typical morality. Like one which doesn't believe decimating economies with environmental lies, killing babies, using slave labor.

Forum List

Back