"The Gifts"

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
I've had a difficult time beliveing that the "gifts" are relevant for today because last I checked, I haven't heard/seen anyone healed of from blindness, deafness, grow a new limb or be raised from the dead..

That being so, why do you think so many Christians harp on "gifts" all the time?

-Cp said:
I've had a difficult time beliveing that the "gifts" are relevant for today because last I checked, I haven't heard/seen anyone healed of from blindness, deafness, grow a new limb or be raised from the dead..

That being so, why do you think so many Christians harp on "gifts" all the time?

I have seen people healed and been healed by the laying on of hands.

As for people harping on the gifts. i honestly dont think about them much. However they are an evidence of the faith of the people. because God is an unchanging God, He hasnt stopped giving the gifts of the Spirit. However, the gifts are conditioned upon faith. And if there are no gifts then the faith of the people is not strong.

I have seen people healed and been healed by the laying on of hands.

As for people harping on the gifts. i honestly dont think about them much. However they are an evidence of the faith of the people. because God is an unchanging God, He hasnt stopped giving the gifts of the Spirit. However, the gifts are conditioned upon faith. And if there are no gifts then the faith of the people is not strong.

With all due respect, people being "healed" through prayer is not the same gift of "miraculous signs and wonders" so many Christians talk about..

They like to quote the scripture where Jesus says (paraphrased) "These things and greater shall you do in my name through the spirit" - I tend to believe those types of "gifts / miracles" ceased to function at the end of the aposoletic era.

If not, and Christians are indeed supposed to be "empowered by the Spirit" to do greater things than Christ, then folks should still be raised from the dead, the blind to see, the deaf to hear, the lame to walk again etc...

It's more believable to me that the "greater things we'll do" after he's gone is to be a witness to others - salvation of one's soul, to me, is the greatest mircale of all..

-Cp said:
Yes - mainly "tongues" and healing... .i.e., "miraculous signs and wonders"...

Tongues are a weird topic... I don't really agree with the "babbling tongues" that many churches insist are the sign of the Holy Spirit.

gop_jeff said:
Tongues are a weird topic... I don't really agree with the "babbling tongues" that many churches insist are the sign of the Holy Spirit.

The church that I grew up in did this one. Anybody could take part so long as they spoke a string of nonsense. Amazingly in the Bible "Tongues" was a totally different gift. They were able to speak to any group who would understand them in their own language. In other words it wasn't nonsense it was the exact opposite.

no1tovote4 said:
The church that I grew up in did this one. Anybody could take part so long as they spoke a string of nonsense. Amazingly in the Bible "Tongues" was a totally different gift. They were able to speak to any group who would understand them in their own language. In other words it wasn't nonsense it was the exact opposite.
I went to a church where they did this, I was 9.
The Preacher threw a folding chair at me for talking during his session.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I went to a church where they did this, I was 9.
The Preacher threw a folding chair at me for talking during his session.

:rotflmao:

They have to fight evil wherever they find it!

no1tovote4 said:

Alot of people dont realize that. The gift of tongues is given to help communicate the Gospel message to those who speak other languages. However, Satan always tries to imitate the gifts. He has a better chance at imitating the more physical gifts such as tongues. he is not good at imitating gifts like discernment and more spiritual gifts.

Forum List

Back