The Genesis Conflict - 102 - A Universal Flood

OMGorsh... And so with your all-encompassing and painfully profound biblical reasoning, dear Joe... you have a ready understanding as to just whom the said 'sons of God' were? What they represented to the land, the people? :doubt:

I truly don't give a flip because it's mythology. It's a myth written by bronze age savages who didn't know what a germ was or where the sun went at night.

My point is, a God who is omnipotent and can do anything, and his go to solution to a problem is, "Fuck it, let's drown everyone, including the babies" isn't worthy of my worship even if he did exist.

And I am very thankful he doesn't. If there is a God, it isn't that guy.

He didn't do that except when the badness in the earth was so bad he had no choice.

He took it a step further coming to the earth as a man and humbled himself and took on the humiliation and sin of others so he didn't have to take that action again until the final judgement.

Every major civilization also thought the world was flat.

Luckily in that case and the case with the great flood myths, we have science to thank for making a mockery of those fairy tales.

Science also tells us that were genetically the same for 250,000 years yet we only "discovered" a practical way to harness electricity 80 years ago?

Hmmmm, sounds like our Progress has been disrupted, more than once, in the recent past.

Also, you're quite wrong about a Flat Earth, that was just the view of the Church who still does the thinking for a lot of people "Scientists" included.

So since rabbits have been the same for thousands of years should they be out driving Hondas to get from hole to hole?

The Bible says the earth is flat, the links are already provided. It says repeatedly that there's 4 corners, makes mention of the ends of the earth and also says the earth can't be moved despite it constantly moving.

The bible does not teach it the earth is flat only by your literal reading you might think that but when you study the scriptures that is not what was meant. Ends of the earth or four corners of the earth ,represent the end of of the earth where does the end. Well if you read carefully God say's earth is the dry land.

Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together to one place, and let the dry land appear; and it was so.
Gen 1:10 And God called the dry land, Earth. And He called the gathering together of the waters, Seas. And God saw that it was good.

So the entire dryland is earth that is where man dwells.

Gen 1:22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters of the seas and let the fowl multiply in the earth.

Really it is simple what the earth is.

How can you have a flat earth if there are mountains ?

God sits on the circle of the earth and he see's all things.

Isa 40:22 It is He who sits on the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in;

Job 34:22 There is no darkness, nor shadow of death, where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.

Psa 139:7 Where shall I go from Your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from Your presence?
Psa 139:8 If I go up into Heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

Pro 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger.
Pro 15:2 The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours out foolishness.
Pro 15:3 The eyes of Jehovah are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.

Wait a second....if the circle of the earth is one of the supposed proofs that the bible says the planet is a sphere, how does that work if earth only means the land masses?

By the definition you have said the bible uses for earth, it is actually FAR more likely that circle of the earth meant circle, not sphere; that the writers believed the land was in the shape of a circle.

If that is not what it meant, then the definition you gave for earth in the bible is obviously untrue.

Luckily in that case and the case with the great flood myths, we have science to thank for making a mockery of those fairy tales.

Science also tells us that were genetically the same for 250,000 years yet we only "discovered" a practical way to harness electricity 80 years ago?

Hmmmm, sounds like our Progress has been disrupted, more than once, in the recent past.

Also, you're quite wrong about a Flat Earth, that was just the view of the Church who still does the thinking for a lot of people "Scientists" included.

So since rabbits have been the same for thousands of years should they be out driving Hondas to get from hole to hole?

The Bible says the earth is flat, the links are already provided. It says repeatedly that there's 4 corners, makes mention of the ends of the earth and also says the earth can't be moved despite it constantly moving.

How many creatures that is supposedly millions of years old that show no evolution before you understand it does not happen ?

Wait a second....if the circle of the earth is one of the supposed proofs that the bible says the planet is a sphere, how does that work if earth only means the land masses?

By the definition you have said the bible uses for earth, it is actually FAR more likely that circle of the earth meant circle, not sphere; that the writers believed the land was in the shape of a circle.

If that is not what it meant, then the definition you gave for earth in the bible is obviously untrue.

Well are there many different continents ?

Is the planet a sphere ?

Still the flat earthers and the evolutnist that want to believe that are simply interpreting that serves their purpose. They use the wrong line of thinking we are talking of a people that wrote differently and thought differently then we do today.

AHRC Home > Language > Poetry > Genesis

The Poetry of Genesis Chapter One
By Jeff A. Benner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we read Genesis chapter one we usually see only one story there, but there are actually many stories. Why don't we see these multiple stories? Because we read the Hebrew Bible from a Modern Western thinkers point of view and not from an Ancient Eastern thinkers such as the Hebrews who wrote it. The Hebrews style of writing is prolific with a style of poetry unfamiliar to most readers of the Bible. This poetry is nothing like the poetry we are used to reading today and therefore it is invisible to us.

The most common form of Hebrew poetry is called parallelism. Parallelism is when the writer says one thing in two or more different ways. The Psalms and Proverbs are filled with these such as the examples below.

Psalms 119:105 - "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." The first part of this verse is paralleled with the second part. This verse is not saying two different things, rather, one thing in two different ways.

Proverbs 3:1 - "My son, do not forget my teaching, and keep my commands in your heart." Again the first part is paralleled with the second part.

Genesis 4:23 - Lamech said to his wives, "Adah and Zillah, listen to me; wives of Lamech, hear my words. I have killed a man for wounding me and a young man for injuring me."

Let's break down what Lamech says; [Adah and Zillah, listen to me] = [wives of Lamech, hear my words] then he says; I have killed [a man for wounding me] = [a young man for injuring me]. Lamech did not wound one and injure another, but killed one person and says it two different ways.

Often we overlook what the Bible is telling us because we are not recognizing what the poetry of a passage is attempting to convey. For example look at Psalms 40:8; "I desire to do your will, O my God; your Torah is within my heart" Here we see that doing the will of God is the same thing as having the Torah within your heart.

Now let us look at the Creation story Parallels of Genesis chapter one.
Creation Story Number 1

The first story is found in Genesis 1.1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The Hebrew word "bara" is a verb and is usually translated as "create". To really understand what this word means let us look at another passage where this word is used.

1 Samuel 2.29 - Why do you scorn my sacrifice and offering that I prescribed for my dwelling? Why do you honor your sons more than me by fattening yourselves on the choice parts of every offering made by my people Israel?' The word "fattening" in the passage above is the Hebrew word "bara". The noun form of this verb is "beriya" and can be found in Genesis 41.4 - "And the cows that were ugly and gaunt ate up the seven sleek, fat cows." The word "fat" is the Hebrew word "beriya".

The word "bara" does not mean, "create" (Hebrew actually has no word that meaning "create" in the sense of something out of nothing) but "to fatten". If we take the literal definition of "bara" in Genesis 1.1 we have - In the beginning God fattened the heavens and the earth. What does this fattening of the heavens and earth mean? This verse is not showing the creation of the heaven and earth, but rather the fattening or filling up of it. Therefore, Genesis 1.1 is a condensed version of the whole creation story.
Creation Story Number 2

The second creation story paralleling Genesis 1.1 is Genesis 1.2 - "and the earth was unfilled and empty and darkness was over the face of the deep, and the Wind of God was hovering over the waters." In this passage we see that the earth was formless and empty before it was filled up, then the Wind of God hovers over the waters of the earth. This hovering would be the action of the Wind of god filling up the earth.

The use of the word "and" at the beginning of this verse may cause some confusion due to an understanding of how this word is used in Hebrew. In English the word "and" in between verses one and two means that what happens in verse two occurs after what happens in verse one. In Hebrew, the word "and" is used in standard Hebrew poetry to link two statements as one. In other words, verse one is the same thing as verse two.
Creation Story Number 3

The third story is found in Genesis 1.3-5. "And God said, 'Let there be light', and there was light and God saw that the light was good and he separated the light from the darkness and God called the light 'day', and the darkness he called 'night' and there was evening, and there was morning, the first day".

Hebrew, like English, has a word for one and a different word for first. The same is true for the words two and second, three and third, etc. As an example the Hebrew word for "three" is "shelosh", and the Hebrew word for "third" is "sheliyshiy". Days 2 - 7 use the Hebrew word for second, third, fourth, etc. We would assume that the "first" day would use the Hebrew word "reshon" meaning "first" in order to be consistent with the other six days, but instead we have the word "echad" meaning "one" or " in unity". The author is making a parallel with the "first" day and with all the days of creation. I believe this is because all seven days of the fattening of the earth are being united in this verse. The first day of creation is also a parallel with the whole of creation as the earth was in darkness and the act of filling the earth brought light to the earth.
Creation Story Number 4

The fourth creation story is found in Genesis 1.3-13. In these passages we have the first three days of creation. These are the days of separating. On the first day God separated light and darkness. On the second day God separated the waters above from the waters below forming the sky and the seas. On the third day God separated the land from the water forming dry land.
Creation Story Number 5

The fifth creation story is found in Genesis 1.14-31. In these passages we have the second set of three days of creation. On the fourth day God filled the light with the sun and the darkness with the moon and stars. On the fifth day God filled the sky with the birds and the sea with the fish. On the sixth day God filled the dry land with the animals and man. Notice the correlation between the first set of three days of separation with the second set of three days of filling.
Creation Story Number 6

The sixth story is the whole of Genesis chapter one. Though we have looked at five different stories of creation, they are all combined together to form one complete story of creation.
CONCLUSION

It must be remembered that modern western thinkers view events in step logic. This is the idea that each event comes after the previous forming a series of events in a linear timeline. But, the Hebrews did not think in step logic but in block logic. This is the grouping together of similar ideas together and not in chronological order. Most people read Genesis chapter one from a step logic perspective or chronological, rather than from the block logic so prevalent in Hebrew poetry.

The Poetry of Genesis Chapter One

When I usually quote the old testament I use a Hebrew bible because I trust their translations more.

Not very bright, are you?

Please see this explanation on the matter.

Does the Bible teach that the Earth is flat?

Notice how drock and his friends always try to change the subject deliberately to avoid the tough questions presented to them.

I can't tell you how many times I presented tough questions to them ,that they can't answer and they just scoff at the questions and try to attack the bible because they can't support their views. They just contiue to try and change the subject . They call the guy in the video nuts and don't know what he is talking about but they have no rebuttal to the evidence presented.

They avoid the origins question. They avoid the fossills being found in the wrong strata. They avoid the question how did complex organisms just poof show up all at once.

If they know anything about mutations that is too many mutations for any organism to absorb to just poof turn in to something different. They still teach gradualism even though the fossil record say's something different.

Last edited:

Just using your own psychotic strategy against you with your human advancement analogy. Grass has been the same for billions of years, how come it hasn't learned to grow in lava or in mid-air or on top of water?

And I can read, hence me point on the Bible saying the Earth is flat, if you cannot read yourself I advise you ask the person who's reading and typing for you to teach you.

Just using your own psychotic strategy against you with your human advancement analogy. Grass has been the same for billions of years, how come it hasn't learned to grow in lava or in mid-air or on top of water?

And I can read, hence me point on the Bible saying the Earth is flat, if you cannot read yourself I advise you ask the person who's reading and typing for you to teach you.

Drock if you used the same line of reasoning for your theory you would see the problems with the theory you attempt to defend.

Psychotic ,did he hit a nerve ?

Last edited:

Drock you have been brainwashed in the class room and by wiki.

Ridiculous...

Besides the dubious evidence presented, the story in Genesis 6-9 is just plain silly.

To start with, if the way that animals survived was by taking a pair of every species, you would need to have a boat big enough to contain one million terrestrial animal species. And you would need hundreds of people to tend to them, and lots of space for one years worth of food for them. You see the logistical problem.

Yet we are to believe that 8 people tended to 2 million animals in a huge boat. (By way of comparison, Brookfeild Zoo in Chicago has a staff of 400 people to tend to only a few thousand animals.)

Of course, if the flood produced enough rain to cover every mountain, then the air would be so thin that Noah and all his animals would suffocate.

Then you have the problem of after the flood. All the animals get out... Which means each animal species (including the people) would then descend from a single pair of parents... you'd have those inbreeding problems. And the predators would start picking off the herbivores... The herbivores would have nothing to eat because all the plants drowned, and the saline content of the soild would have increased as the waters receded...

Do I need to go on?

But here's my biggest problem, and it's the one that started with the nun who said that it was right for God to drown every baby in the world because they were "wiiiiiicked".

What kind of God drowns fucking babies and still expects to be called "good"? He just comes off like a Cosmic Andrea Yates, and that woman was crazy.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Notice how drock and his friends always try to change the subject deliberately to avoid the tough questions presented to them.

I can't tell you how many times I presented tough questions to them ,that they can't answer and they just scoff at the questions and try to attack the bible because they can't support their views. They just contiue to try and change the subject . They call the guy in the video nuts and don't know what he is talking about but they have no rebuttal to the evidence presented.

They avoid the origins question. They avoid the fossills being found in the wrong strata. They avoid the question how did complex organisms just poof show up all at once.

If they know anything about mutations that is too many mutations for any organism to absorb to just poof turn in to something different. They still teach gradualism even though the fossil record say's something different.

Every single question you've ever asked that isn't a strawman has been answered quite easily dozens of times.

Even the silly questions you've asked in this post I've answered more than once.

All your crazy assessments and interpretations have been shattered over and over again, but you think your strategy of repeating what's already been shattered makes you the winner.

If you need such satisfaction, have at it, you're the winner.

Ridiculous...

Besides the dubious evidence presented, the story in Genesis 6-9 is just plain silly.

To start with, if the way that animals survived was by taking a pair of every species, you would need to have a boat big enough to contain one million terrestrial animal species. And you would need hundreds of people to tend to them, and lots of space for one years worth of food for them. You see the logistical problem.

Yet we are to believe that 8 people tended to 2 million animals in a huge boat. (By way of comparison, Brookfeild Zoo in Chicago has a staff of 400 people to tend to only a few thousand animals.)

Of course, if the flood produced enough rain to cover every mountain, then the air would be so thin that Noah and all his animals would suffocate.

Then you have the problem of after the flood. All the animals get out... Which means each animal species (including the people) would then descend from a single pair of parents... you'd have those inbreeding problems. And the predators would start picking off the herbivores... The herbivores would have nothing to eat because all the plants drowned, and the saline content of the soild would have increased as the waters receded...

Do I need to go on?

But here's my biggest problem, and it's the one that started with the nun who said that it was right for God to drown every baby in the world because they were "wiiiiiicked".

What kind of God drowns fucking babies and still expects to be called "good"? He just comes off like a Cosmic Andrea Yates, and that woman was crazy.

I would not applaud someone who used numbers he can't back up.

Ridiculous...

Do I need to go on?

I'm still waiting for one of these science and math denying fundamentalists to respond to Joe and use science and math to prove him wrong.

This thread is pages and pages long, his response was the first of the thread, and yet still NONE of them have even tried to put together one of their crazy responses.

Every single question you've ever asked that isn't a strawman has been answered quite easily dozens of times.

Even the silly questions you've asked in this post I've answered more than once.

All your crazy assessments and interpretations have been shattered over and over again, but you think your strategy of repeating what's already been shattered makes you the winner.

If you need such satisfaction, have at it, you're the winner.

Drock time to wake up now. :lol:

I must have missed those answers care to repost them.

Ridiculous...

Do I need to go on?

I'm still waiting for one of these science and math denying fundamentalists to respond to Joe and use science and math to prove him wrong.

This thread is pages and pages long, his response was the first of the thread, and yet still NONE of them have even tried to put together one of their crazy responses.

that would require htem to actually know math and science

its simply amazing how much time and how many lives are wasted on myths

that would require htem to actually know math and science

Or to spell :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back