The 'General Welfare' thread

Give up. You lost the argument.
:confused: He did? So in your opinion the general welfare clause is about how people should practice their religion? :lol:

In his defense, I negged him and he was going after the first post of mine he could find to troll. Obviously he didn't take the time to actually read it first, otherwise he would've realized he actually agreed with it and found a different one where that wasn't the case. Wouldn't have been too difficult either.

Read on and enjoy his backpedal fail. :lol:
:clap2:Very amusing!

Read Jefferson's explanation again.

The general welfare clause would not allow the government to do something that violated someone's liberty. See the interment of Japanese Americans during WW2.
See the minimum wage, social security, Obamacare, the war on drugs, ...
Aside from the war on drugs, none of those violate anyone's liberty.

Actually? The War on drugs *IS* a violation of Liberty...or shall we go through Prohibition again? And WHY hasn't the Congress Amended the Constitution to reflect the 'War On Drugs'?

The general welfare clause would not allow the government to do something that violated someone's liberty. See the interment of Japanese Americans during WW2.
Some would say the minimum wage violates the liberty of a worker and employer to negotiate the terms of their contract

Social Security tax, some might say, violates my liberty to take the money I've earned and invest or spend it as I please

neg me all you like asshole. Nary a fuckin' DENT. I Chose to IGNORE your comment...but for whatever reason you seem HELLBENT on it when I already informed you it was stupid and i chose to negate it by not answering.

You're a shallow and VAPID inconsequential idiot Mani.

*Deal With it*

So do you, or do you not believe that religion has a place in a discussion about the general welfare clause?

Individual choice as endowed by their creator does...and since when do Statists as you even acknowlege any Entity outside of MAN except when you can hold it up for whatever nefarious purpose?

There's *your answer* dickweed.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

The question is simple. Yes or No, does religion have any place in an intellectual discussion about the welfare clause in the US Constitution.

Actually? The War on drugs *IS* a violation of Liberty...or shall we go through Prohibition again? And WHY hasn't the Congress Amended the Constitution to reflect the 'War On Drugs'?

What part of aside from the war on drugs do you not understand?

Some would say the minimum wage violates the liberty of a worker and employer to negotiate the terms of their contract

Social Security tax, some might say, violates my liberty to take the money I've earned and invest or spend it as I please
Some people say that the moon is made of cheese...it doesn't make it so.

*CONSISTANCY*

Got it ACE?

I'm not free to plan and save for my retirement and bear the consequences, that has nothing to do with individual liberty?

I am not free to take a job for under $7.20, the government says it's their call, not mine.

You're clueless if you don't see any infringement on Obamacare

The war on drugs you don't even understand. The drugs are the scratch on the surface, the invasion of my privacy fighting it without any warrant is extreme.

You're so lost in government you don't even know what personal liberty is.

*CONSISTANCY*

Got it ACE?
:lol: Aw, shit...I forgot the T in The T stood for tequila...you must be drunk again because you aren't making any sense.

I'm not free to plan and save for my retirement and bear the consequences, that has nothing to do with individual liberty?

I am not free to take a job for under $7.20, the government says it's their call, not mine.

The war on drugs you don't even understand. The drugs are the scratch on the surface, the invasion of my privacy fighting it without any warrant is extreme.

They'll get it in such an event that whatever foibles rock their world are infringed upon...and then they'll be singing a different tune...but by then? It will be too late.

Whenever the government tells a man he may not do a thing or puts any limits upon his freedom to act whatsoever, it is a restriction of his liberty. The question is whether or not a given restriction is justified. You happen to think the aforementioned are acceptable limitations to place upon a man's liberty. Not everyone agrees.

No one is preventing you from saving for retirement. You can certainly find a job paying less than minimum wage...try babysitting or waitressing.

There is no constitutional infringement with "obamacare."

What a moron you are...I agree with you on the war on drugs and you pretend I didn't.

Dismissed.

No one is preventing you from saving for retirement.

They prevent him from investing his money as he would when they take it from him via taxation.
You can certainly find a job paying less than minimum wage...try babysitting or waitressing.

Waitresses must be paid minimum wage. If their tips plus their rate of pay do not add up to at least the minimally mandated rate, the employer must pay the difference. I'm not sure how the law treats babysitting not performed through an established company.

Again, there is a debate to be had as to whether such limitations and restrictions are warranted and justifiable. However, to deny that they are in fact limitations upon a man's liberty is dishonest.

No one is preventing you from saving for retirement.

They prevent him from investing his money as he would when they take it from him via taxation.
You can certainly find a job paying less than minimum wage...try babysitting or waitressing.

Waitresses must be paid minimum wage. If their tips plus their rate of pay do not add up to at least the minimally mandated rate, the employer must pay the difference. I'm not sure how the law treats babysitting not performed through an established company.

Again, there is a debate to be had as to whether such limitations and restrictions are warranted and justifiable. However, to deny that they are in fact limitations upon a man's liberty is dishonest.

And WHOM is the Gubmint to dictate what someone must be paid?

Whenever the government tells a man he may not do a thing or puts any limits upon his freedom to act whatsoever, it is a restriction of his liberty. The question is whether or not a given restriction is justified. You happen to think the aforementioned are acceptable limitations to place upon a man's liberty. Not everyone agrees.
Trouble is, and where you fail, is that no one is forced to be gainfully employed. You can choose to make all your income off of investments and avoid paying into SS...or you could be a housewife. So no, your liberty is not being infringed. You have choices.

Forum List

Back