The Gay Cowboy Movie

Which makes wonder why the movie was made for such a small audience all the more. Except to endorse a lifestyle.

Well, to be fair, a good amount of younger people (early to mid 20s) are not really sickened by gay guys the way most of you guys are. And, don't think I'm trying to be an elitist here: while I have no problem with people being gay, watching two guys do "gay" things does make me uncomfortable. And, honestly, no doubt I will not see this movie for this very reason.

But, I don't see this movie playing to a strictly gay crowd. You don't have to be a drug addict to enjoy Requiem for a Dream, or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I think it's the same thing here.

In addition, this was an independently produced film, made for very little money (well, by film standards, anyway), so I don't think the studios are too worried about making their money back.

The Gay Cowboy
KarlMarx said:
My prediction, after the gays and the libs have watched this film and pestered the rest of us by telling us just how brilliant this movie is, it will be consigned to the bargain basement heap of films. No one is going to rent or buy it and it will soon be forgotten. The movie will be a financial failure or at best a break even proposition. And that's what Hollywood is going to pay attention to, the bottom line after all is still the bottom line to those folks.
Once Hollywood gets the message that most people aren't going to fork over their hard earned dollars to watch a movie that amounts to two men sodomizing each other, they'll think twice about producing this garbage.
Now, "Passion of Christ" won no Acadamy Awards (but was nominated for some). According to IMDB it grossed almost 400 Million dollars (and over 200 Million in rentals)... Now if I were in pictures, I'd be paying attention to that...

I was thinking about how Jesus was so hated before he was loved. I wonder if there would be any movies about his life if he had not been crucified.
Sometimes we may be in danger of becoming who or what we despise so much. I agree with everything you said about the reasons this kind of filth should not be made.
SaucySuzieSCorp

SaucySuzieScorp said:
I was thinking about how Jesus was so hated before he was loved. I wonder if there would be any movies about his life if he had not been crucified.
Sometimes we may be in danger of becoming who or what we despise so much. I agree with everything you said about the reasons this kind of filth should not be made.
SaucySuzieSCorp
He wouldn't have come to this Earth if it wasn't to be crucified. He was supposed to be the sacrifice for our sins.....

KarlMarx said:
He wouldn't have come to this Earth if it wasn't to be crucified. He was supposed to be the sacrifice for our sins.....

Of course what you say is true, but my meaning tries to go a little deeper into the correlation between what happened to Jesus whom we adore today..and how despicable he was to many people. I think there be some caution in despising anything or anyone way overboard... That's all.

Saucy Suzie Scorp

PS: this is 2nd time i have posted. Don't even know how to show who I am respoinding to yet. Bear with me please.

SaucySuzieScorp said:
Of course what you say is true, but my meaning tries to go a little deeper into the correlation between what happened to Jesus whom we adore today..and how despicable he was to many people. I think there be some caution in despising anything or anyone way overboard... That's all.

Saucy Suzie Scorp

PS: this is 2nd time i have posted. Don't even know how to show who I am respoinding to yet. Bear with me please.
Don't worry about reponses showing. More interesting is that you are going deeper than Jesus. Interesting, want to illuminate more?

Kathianne said:
Don't worry about reponses showing. More interesting is that you are going deeper than Jesus. Interesting, want to illuminate more?

I would like to do that, but perhaps since I'm new here, I should just carry a tiny stick and speak softly.
I think that His very acts throughout his life, we could learn from the positive and the negative aspects. Today, we might perceive that this filthy film should be banded or scensored or just thrown out. Jesus was a rebel and they wanted to throw him out for good! But then, He transcended all these earth games and arose.

SaucySuzieScorp

Dan said:
Well, to be fair, a good amount of younger people (early to mid 20s) are not really sickened by gay guys the way most of you guys are. And, don't think I'm trying to be an elitist here: while I have no problem with people being gay, watching two guys do "gay" things does make me uncomfortable. And, honestly, no doubt I will not see this movie for this very reason.

But, I don't see this movie playing to a strictly gay crowd. You don't have to be a drug addict to enjoy Requiem for a Dream, or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I think it's the same thing here.

In addition, this was an independently produced film, made for very little money (well, by film standards, anyway), so I don't think the studios are too worried about making their money back.

Honestly Dan the gay love part of this movie is nothing compared to the transperency of Hollywood using it to attempt to make homosexuality mainstream. I love movies and there are very few that I would not see if the subject was in the least bit interesting to me, but what is so bothersome lately to me anyway is the way in which Hollywood seems obsessed with making films to push their morality or lack of on the rest of us which is exactly why you are right in that they don't care if the movie makes any money. All the film is- is a reaffirmation to all the gay Hollywood producers, writers, actors etc to eachother that they are "okay" when in reality no one outside Hollywood really cares who in Hollywood is gay or bi, or likes it with sheep. Look back at many of the films that win awards, look at the other film that the "Desperate Housewives" star just made about a Transexual which is also getting high praise. There are a lot of good indie films that never get accolades simply because they don't tackle taboo subjects.

The academy might as well just put out a brochure that says any filmaker or actor looking to recieve awards had better just make anything that deals with a pro homosexuality, bi-sexuality, abortion, gay or pedaphilic priests, any kind of activist, anti-corportation movies, adultery, men haters, agenda etc.

The ClayTaurus said:
I was serious. If Hollywood is going to do all this contorting, why don't we see who can best guess what this movie's going to be nominated for? Or be bold and actually predict what award it will WIN. Put your money where your mouth is, so to speak. Oscars? Golden Globes? MTV? Pick something, and we can see how well you know Hollywood.

I can't think of anything offhand. After all, Linda Lovelace is not in her prime and I don't even know if Carol Doda is around anymore. Seriously though, it's going to be difficult to come up with an award that could stand give proudly to a dog...let alone another human being.

SaucySuzieScorp said:
I can't think of anything offhand. After all, Linda Lovelace is not in her prime and I don't even know if Carol Doda is around anymore. Seriously though, it's going to be difficult to come up with an award that could stand give proudly to a dog...let alone another human being.

Hope springs eternal. It is my hope that this horse we are beating on will soon die and be forgotten. :)

SaucySuzieScorp said:
Hope springs eternal. It is my hope that this horse we are beating on will soon die and be forgotten. :)

Don't say anything about beating your horse or they will make a sequel out of it. :banana:

dilloduck said:
Don't say anything about beating your horse or they will make a sequel out of it. :banana:

Thanks for the warning. They might have to make a sequal called?
1. The Gay Cowboy's Sad Horse
2. or, The Gay Beaten Horse Who Cowboyed Up
nah..not too good...

SaucySuzieScorp said:

I missed your point, it isn't very clear, sorry. (welcome, btw)

deadhorse.gif

The ClayTaurus said:
That looks more like eating a dead horse, than beating one... or maybe it's the last head nibble by the smilie on the left that makes me think that...

Oh look, it's the "beating a dead horse smilie" police. Sorry officer, won't happen again.

Said1 said:
Oh look, it's the "beating a dead horse smilie" police. Sorry officer, won't happen again.
It doesn't look like the one of them is trying to eat the horse's head? It's freaky. Like smilie pirhanas.

SaucySuzieScorp said:

Saucy Suzie Scorp

Welcome, Triple S! Hope you enjoy it here.

PS. I like your name...

COMING TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU (no pun intended)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051214/en_nm/goldenglobes_brokeback_dc

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Director Ang Lee fielded congratulatory calls on "Brokeback Mountain's" leading seven Golden Globe nominations from his lonely hotel room in Minneapolis Tuesday.

"The hardest thing for me is to stay calm," said the Taiwanese director, who is known for just that. "This is great news for us. It's a wonderful feeling."

Lee was nominated for his direction, while actors Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams were also cited. The picture also picked up nods for best drama, screenplay, score and song.

What made Lee happiest was knowing that after a strong opening weekend and support from not only the Globes but also the New York and L.A. film critics, the gay cowboy romance now will reach a wider audience.

"When we started making the movie, we assumed it would have a very limited release," he said. "It will be interesting to see how it plays when it goes wider, out of the art houses. We don't know what to expect. We have had great response. Maybe there was so much love put into the movie that in the nicest way, people embrace the movie and encourage other people to see it."

The Golden Globes will help to bring attention to the film around the world, Lee said.

"Usually, cowboy movies are not a popular genre outside the U.S., but we are learning every day how people respond. It's a love story, so it shouldn't have any boundary."

Lee will continue on the promotion trail he has been on since the Venice International Film Festival in August. "Every other day I'm in a different city," he said. "We still have some ways to go. The film has just been released, so we still have some follow-up to do. They don't teach you this in film school."

"Brokeback Mountain," a tale of thwarted love between cowboys played by Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, earned almost $550,000 from just five theaters during its first weekend.

"The numbers are telling us that someone walking on the sidewalk in front of a theater playing 'Brokeback Mountain' is likely to be vacuumed inside," (umm riiight.....)said James Schamus, co-president of the film's distributor, Focus Features. "'Brokeback Mountain' was a movie made so modestly that as of 3 p.m. yesterday afternoon, we were in profit."

"Brokeback" is performing well without the firestorm of controversy many predicted. "The amazing thing about the controversy is there is no controversy," Schamus said. "Media folks are waking up, trying to figure out how to write up a controversy story where there is none."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Forum List

Back