The Gay Cowboy Movie

How can anyone not be a Salma fan...

Salma_Hayek.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
My husband saw an article today that discussed the "Oscar buzz" for Brokeback Mountain. (Sorry, he doesn't remember whose article it was).
So, those of you who predicted that Hollywood would fall over themselves to honor this pic were correct.

Btw, for anyone interested, the tag line for the movie is "Love is a force of Nature"

What Im wondering is just who exactly is this movie supposed to relate to?? Im assuming gay men which makes up what about 5% of the population? The joke here is that Hollywood actually thinks mainstream anyone is interested in Cowboy gay love. So I have to think this movie was made in the hopes that people other than gay men will see it and somehow be inspired to "understand the gay cowboy dilemna?? OR they just wanted to praise eachother at how open minded and tolerant they all are in Hollywood and we the little people are supposed to be educated to this and gravel at their feet yelling "thank you for enlightening us".......... :dunno: :banana:

Abbey Normal said:
My husband saw an article today that discussed the "Oscar buzz" for Brokeback Mountain. (Sorry, he doesn't remember whose article it was).
So, those of you who predicted that Hollywood would fall over themselves to honor this pic were correct.

Btw, for anyone interested, the tag line for the movie is "Love is a force of Nature"

Oh yea that just tells us everything right there.... :bow2:

Bonnie said:
What Im wondering is just who exactly is this movie supposed to relate to?? Im assuming gay men which makes up what about 5% of the population? The joke here is that Hollywood actually thinks mainstream anyone is interested in Cowboy gay love. So I have to think this movie was made in the hopes that people other than gay men will see it and somehow be inspired to "understand the gay cowboy dilemna?? OR they just wanted to praise eachother at how open minded and tolerant they all are in Hollywood and we the little people are supposed to be educated to this and gravel at their feet yelling "thank you for enlightening us".......... :dunno: :banana:

People are clammering to praise the film, and will see the film not because they are interested in the subject matter; they'll see it in an attempt to show OTHERS just how 'tolerant' they are.

Hopefully, conservatives will just blow this off. If people think it's that big of a deal, they will go see it just to see what the controversy is. Remember the Last Temptation of Christ... that movie would never have gained the notoriety it did if conservatives wouldn't have put up such a fuss.

Gay sex is yucchy. Let's just leave it at that.

KarlMarx said:
The movie just is a promotion for the gay lifestyle... face it. They tried to pull the same thing last summer in the movie about Alexander the Great at the expense of historical accuracy. Of course, Alexander bombed, too.

Of course, all the Hollywood libs, the Park Avenue elites, the academics and so on are going to be falling over each other trying to get to see this movie. They'll be trying to out do each other to heap praise on this film in front of the first available camera, at cocktail parties or any available column in their local paper. It's the latest "thing", they'll want to fit in and get status.

And of course, this movie is going to win some academy award. Hollywood is going to break its back contorting itself to convince the rest of us podunks that we're missing something great.

You nailed this one to the cross Karl. Outstanding... :clap: :bow2: :salute:

P.S. Tried to rep you for that Karl but, as usual, have to spread some around.

however after reading some of the comments...well now I know what the term "Gay Rodeo" is! They never ride the bulls or stallions or cows or mares..they can only seem to stay on the Geldings...figures! They should rename this movie..."Gelding Summer"

mom4 said:
Hopefully, conservatives will just blow this off. If people think it's that big of a deal, they will go see it just to see what the controversy is. Remember the Last Temptation of Christ... that movie would never have gained the notoriety it did if conservatives wouldn't have put up such a fuss.
True. Scorsese thanked the protesters for drawing such attention to the film.
But I don't think people are going to actually picket theatres on this one.

Bonnie said:
Im assuming gay men which makes up what about 5% of the population?
Actually, that percentage is the total of gay men and women.
Some surveys put it lower than that.
Which makes wonder why the movie was made for such a small audience all the more. Except to endorse a lifestyle.

Pale Rider said:
Well, actually fuzz, and I hate to be the one to point this out, because I think Salma Hayek is extremely hot, but in the movie "Frida", she did a lesbian love scene, and yes, they were naked, and romping and rolling around together.

oh, I just saw Tom Hanks and Charlize Theron. I guess I must have skipped over Salma's name. I never saw Frieda, let alone know what it is about.

besides, from what I hear of 99% of men I either talk to, hear, or read about, most guys would like to witness lesbians playing around.

Honestly, I don't think two women together is as gross to my mind as two men. Don't know why, though.

Hagbard Celine said:
I don't know why, but for some reason I thought this movie was called, "Bareback Mountain." I don't know why I would've thought that! :laugh:

A much more fitting name :D
or
How about "Bareassed Mountain"

The ClayTaurus said:
Let's be honest, the real problem many have is with male homo sex, not general homo sex. People will line up all day long to watch girl on girl action.

I disagree. The actual sexual content in the movie is problem quite limited. Movie goers are not going so they can see two men getting it on rather to see the story of the men in a contrary lifestyle and how they and others live with that. I am equally disinterested in seeing the same scenario if it was about about two women.

I disagree. The actual sexual content in the movie is problem quite limited. Movie goers are not going so they can see two men getting it on rather to see the story of the men in a contrary lifestyle and how they and others live with that. I am equally disinterested in seeing the same scenario if it was about about two women.

I agree. As (probably) the only person here who's read the story the movie is based on, it is not just a big depiction of gay sex. The two leads are actually only around each other for about a third of the story. The main part of the story is their trying to carry on after what happens on the range.

And the story wasn't trying to say that all cowboys are gay, or "gay up" the cowboy lifestyle. It's simply a story about two men who are gay and also happen to be cowboys.

EDIT: MtnBiker, I tried to give you rep points for your post, but I gotta spread the love a little. Anyway, point is, great post.

Forum List

Back