The G.O.P. Stalinists Invade Upstate New York

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
BARACK OBAMA’S most devilish political move since the 2008 campaign was to appoint a Republican congressman from upstate New York as secretary of the Army. This week’s election to fill that vacant seat has set off nothing less than a riotous and bloody national G.O.P. civil war. No matter what the results in that race on Tuesday, the Republicans are the sure losers. This could be a gift that keeps on giving to the Democrats through 2010, and perhaps beyond.

New York’s 23rd, a rural Congressional district abutting Canada. That this pastoral setting could become a G.O.P. killing field, attracting an all-star cast of combatants led by Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, William Kristol and Newt Gingrich, is a premise out of a Depression-era screwball comedy. But such farces have become the norm for the conservative movement — whether the participants are dressing up in full “tea party” drag or not.

The battle for upstate New York confirms just how swiftly the right has devolved into a wacky, paranoid cult that is as eager to eat its own as it is to destroy Obama. The movement’s undisputed leaders, Palin and Beck, neither of whom have what Palin once called the “actual responsibilities” of public office, would gladly see the Republican Party die on the cross of right-wing ideological purity. Over the short term, at least, their wish could come true.

The New York fracas was ignited by the routine decision of 11 local Republican county chairmen to anoint an assemblywoman, Dede Scozzafava, as their party’s nominee for the vacant seat. The 23rd is in safe Republican territory that hasn’t sent a Democrat to Congress in decades. And Scozzafava is a mainstream conservative by New York standards; one statistical measure found her voting record slightly to the right of her fellow Republicans in the Assembly. But she has occasionally strayed from orthodoxy on social issues (abortion, same-sex marriage) and endorsed the Obama stimulus package. To the right’s Jacobins, that’s cause to send her to the guillotine.

Sure enough, bloggers trashed her as a radical leftist and ditched her for a third-party candidate they deem a “true” conservative, an accountant and businessman named Doug Hoffman. When Gingrich dared endorse Scozzafava anyway — as did other party potentates like John Boehner and Michael Steele — he too was slimed. Mocking Newt’s presumed 2012 presidential ambitions, Michelle Malkin imagined him appointing Al Sharpton as secretary of education and Al Gore as “global warming czar.” She’s quite the wit.

The wrecking crew of Kristol, Fred Thompson, Dick Armey, Michele Bachmann, The Wall Street Journal editorial page and the government-bashing Club for Growth all joined the Hoffman putsch. Then came the big enchilada: a Hoffman endorsement from Palin on her Facebook page. Such is Palin’s clout that Steve Forbes, Rick Santorum and Tim Pawlenty, the Minnesota governor (and presidential aspirant), promptly fell over one another in their Pavlovian rush to second her motion. They were joined by far-flung Republican congressmen from Kansas, Georgia, Oklahoma and California, not to mention a gaggle of state legislators from Colorado. On Fox News, Beck took up the charge, insinuating that Hoffman’s Republican opponent might be a fan of Karl Marx. Some $3 million has now been dumped into this race by outside groups.

MORE...

Its what makes politics so entertaining. Its not just the Dem vs republican fracas, but the infighting. The Dems can't put up a united front on healthcare and would rather see the entire thing go up in flame than reach a consensus.
The republicans have their holy doctrine that requires all loyal republicans to pray at the Conservative shrine. There is no room in the party for a NY rebublican vs a Georgia republican. The idea of regional values and priorities is criminal to them.
Should be a fun 2010

Wow that's some seriously warped Hopey Changey wishful thinking spin there. lol! Are those the latest White House Talking Points? Pretty lame stuff. Time for some new material. This is a good thing for the Republican Party. It's time for real change in the party. No more frauds like Arlen Specter,Lindsey Graham,and John McCain. Change is good right? Remember that one Hopey Changeys? Their only mistake was running a fraud candidate in the first place. The rebuilding of the Republican Party isn't going to be easy but it has to start somewhere. It looks like it's starting right there in New York. Go get em Mr. Hoffman!

Wow that's some seriously warped Hopey Changey wishful thinking spin there. lol! Are those the latest White House Talking Points? Pretty lame stuff. Time for some new material. This is a good thing for the Republican Party. It's time for real change in the party. No more frauds like Arlen Specter,Lindsey Graham,and John McCain. Change is good right? Remember that one Hopey Changeys? Their only mistake was running a fraud candidate in the first place. The rebuilding of the Republican Party isn't going to be easy but it has to start somewhere. It looks like it's starting right there in New York. Go get em Mr. Hoffman!

Is John McHugh a fraud?

"Stalinists?" Most of the Democratic Party is made up of Stalinists. So how can a Hopey Changey dislike Stalinists? It just seems to me that the poster who started this thread has misread their White House Talking Points. lol! "Stalinists?" That's some funny stuff. :)

Here's your word for the day, before you, the GOober Party and their embraced anti intellectual dogma slide off into apocalypse...

DEMOGRAPHICS...

So the Hopey Changeys hate Stalinists now? Must have been a typo in the White House Talking Points. lol!

"Stalinists?" Most of the Democratic Party is made up of Stalinists. So how can a Hopey Changey dislike Stalinists? It just seems to me that the poster who started this thread has misread their White House Talking Points. lol! "Stalinists?" That's some funny stuff. :)

Do you want a REAL laugh? In the late '80's Mikhail Gorbachev tried to implement a more liberal form of government in the Soviet Union...he was strongly opposed by Soviet Conservatives...the Stalinists...

Soviet Conservatives Try to Turn Back the Clock on Gorbachev's Policies

Russian conservatives, uneasy with the liberalization of Soviet society under Mikhail S. Gorbachev, have seized on the country's experiment in more democratic elections as a chance to fight for a return to more authoritarian ways.

I always find it entertaining when the OP of a thread is a straight copy and paste job with no comment from the poster. Makes me wonder whether the poster actually has any original thought or whether they are actually capable of debate. If you cannot start a debate with your own thought, perhaps 'debate' is not in your skill set.

Last edited:
That's our Jethro!...He has a sixth grade edumacation!

jethro%20bodine.gif

Do you want a REAL laugh? In the late '80's Mikhail Gorbachev tried to implement a more liberal form of government in the Soviet Union...he was strongly opposed by Soviet Conservatives...the Stalinists...

Soviet Conservatives Try to Turn Back the Clock on Gorbachev's Policies

Russian conservatives, uneasy with the liberalization of Soviet society under Mikhail S. Gorbachev, have seized on the country's experiment in more democratic elections as a chance to fight for a return to more authoritarian ways.

Stalinism is one of the purest forms of Librulism so, as usual, your post makes no fucking sense

Its what makes politics so entertaining. Its not just the Dem vs republican fracas, but the infighting. The Dems can't put up a united front on healthcare and would rather see the entire thing go up in flame than reach a consensus.
The republicans have their holy doctrine that requires all loyal republicans to pray at the Conservative shrine. There is no room in the party for a NY rebublican vs a Georgia republican. The idea of regional values and priorities is criminal to them.
Should be a fun 2010
We of the conservative right just want a real choice, and the old cliche that 'there is no difference between the parties' to be less true than it is now. Indeed if there is no difference between the parties, why pick the "light" party? Give us a real choice and see which one the electorate chooses, I say.

I always find it entertaining when the OP of a thread is a straight copy and paste job with no comment from the poster. Makes me wonder whether the poster actually has any original thought or whether they are actually cabable of debate. If you cannot start a debate with your own thought, perhaps 'debate' is not in your skill set.

"I always find it entertaining when"...A poster I challenged to a debate and was gracious enough to allow that poster to choose the topic and take the first shot cowardly declined that opportunity now has the temerity to take pot shots from afar...

You claim I don't know anything about you...you are rapidly revealing who and what you are...

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing."
Oscar Wilde

I always find it entertaining when the OP of a thread is a straight copy and paste job with no comment from the poster. Makes me wonder whether the poster actually has any original thought or whether they are actually cabable of debate. If you cannot start a debate with your own thought, perhaps 'debate' is not in your skill set.

"I always find it entertaining when"...A poster I challenged to a debate and was gracious enough to allow that poster to choose the topic and take the first shot cowardly declined that opportunity now has the temerity to take pot shots from afar...

You claim I don't know anything about you...you are rapidly revealing who and what you are...

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing."
Oscar Wilde

Interesting that you remember your "challenge" but not my response. Shall I remind you? This is not a debate forum. To "challenge" someone to debate, you actually have to have a debate - with the rules that accompany debate. This forum is not that place.

And again, you need to resort to whining about who you think I am. You reveal yourself to be an assclown. Quotes are not big, nor are they clever - they are the words of others. Use your own.... if you can. But as is your habit, you copy and paste the words of others with no input from yourself. That's not a debate, it's plagiarism.

So the Hopey Changey Democrat Stalinists hate the Republican "Stalinists?" Oh man,i confused.

I always find it entertaining when the OP of a thread is a straight copy and paste job with no comment from the poster. Makes me wonder whether the poster actually has any original thought or whether they are actually capable of debate. If you cannot start a debate with your own thought, perhaps 'debate' is not in your skill set.

It's not about debate. You haven't been here long enough to know that the lunatic lefts agenda is to demean the Republican party. We are irrelevant, white, old, extremist,un American, gun loving, bible toting teabaggers. Debate is not an option. Just take yer medicine, smile and nod. oh! and btw. original thoughts are not an option either, you must have a link.:eusa_eh:

It's not about debate. You haven't been here long enough to know that the lunatic lefts agenda is to demean the Republican party. We are irrelevant, white, old, extremist,un American, gun loving, bible toting teabaggers. Debate is not an option. Just take yer medicine, smile and nod. oh! and btw. original thoughts are not an option either, you must have a link.:eusa_eh:

I value that helpful advice. Because the OP whines when I say I can't debate 'fluff' and another poster accuses me of trolling when I say this is not a debate forum. Lefties don't understand debate - go figure! Color me Shocked Pink!

Forum List

Back