The Future - What Will It Be Like?

Achilles

Dec 12, 2008
USA
The future is a scary thing in this time of the global economic crisis, but what exactly does it have to hold for us - the human race? Will the future be a how many people today dream it will be - an era where there are flying cars, and huge towers of glass in the sky? Or will the future hold for us, a new era of destruction, and mayhem, caused by wars over the depleting natural resources. What solely determines these things are what we do today - but are the things that we are currently doing enough to ensure peace on earth?

I'm not prepared to depress you all with my vision of the future, this morning.

I suspect some of you are already starting to intuit how bad things might get in the next decade or so because of the economic meltdown, and frankly, that's not as bad as it COULD get if humankind doesn't begin realizing that were all in this mess together.

Let's just say that I doubt mankind is prepared to give up the method of power and control it has been using, so things are going to get pretty weird pretty damned fast unless something truly astounding (like fusion power) happens.

Last edited:
If the present economic debacle snowballs into a worldwide depression, there is no doubt that we will see some despots arise in major nations. At the same time, we still have the ongoing global warming. An arms race, with no thought at to what we doing to ourselves could quickly excaberate the already shaky situation in regard to climate, and the agricultural resources that depend on stable climate. So we could well end up in a world with major portions of the population in a starvation situation, well armed nations, possibly nuclear, controlled by despots, and no organization or nation big enough to put the brakes on the situation. A very unpretty picture.

If the present economic debacle snowballs into a worldwide depression, there is no doubt that we will see some despots arise in major nations.

POh I think it already is, OR, don't you?

And economic ruin and political depotism are old chums.

At the same time, we still have the ongoing global warming. An arms race, with no thought at to what we doing to ourselves could quickly excaberate the already shaky situation in regard to climate, and the agricultural resources that depend on stable climate. So we could well end up in a world with major portions of the population in a starvation situation, well armed nations, possibly nuclear, controlled by despots, and no organization or nation big enough to put the brakes on the situation. A very unpretty picture.

It would take about six months to starve half the world's population to death. Mostly they'll die of dieases related to malnutrition, of course, but the root source will be a lack of food and potable water.

Hell! they're living (in a market economy) on less than $2 a day, their governments are weak and/or oppressive.

And, should things get truly bad, things won't be exactly sweet here in America, either.

This is at least one reason I am somewhat sympathetic to those of you who cling to your guns and Bibles.

Be prepared!

in the future, china and russia will be the prime super-powers. america will still be around, but not as much of a major player. politically, we will be equivalent to say... today's france. we had our run as an imperial power and now we're just content with having that legacy and just sip wine and eat cheese all day.

china with its gigantic population and high level of ability to control it, in combination with the natural talent and diligence of the chinese people, will be a power through just manpower alone.

russia, with its huge resources and vast territory will try to reclaim some of its soviet glory by flexing its muscle around.

and of course, in the long run, humanity will all be gone as the earth succumbs to the sun's nova. the story of humanity is probably one of the most interesting time will ever know.

I doubt humanity will last much longer. If the environment doesn't kill us off we will do it ourselves with so much bickering between groups, it's only a matter of time.

In the future we will all be...

OLDER.

Also 2012 will not ring in the end of the world just like 2000 didn't. Whether people buy into the next end of the world crap remains to be seen.

In the future we will all be...

OLDER.

Also 2012 will not ring in the end of the world just like 2000 didn't. Whether people buy into the next end of the world crap remains to be seen.

LOL, that's the funniest prediction for the end of the world. Ever notice how each time this mythical deadline passes the next wrong prediction is always a few years sooner than the last? Also notice how many times the end of the world was foretold by the same documents, but then somehow they read them wrong the last time but this time they are 100% certain? I wonder how many times we will have to hear these lame predictions.

LOL, that's the funniest prediction for the end of the world. Ever notice how each time this mythical deadline passes the next wrong prediction is always a few years sooner than the last? Also notice how many times the end of the world was foretold by the same documents, but then somehow they read them wrong the last time but this time they are 100% certain? I wonder how many times we will have to hear these lame predictions.

Penn and Teller - Bullshit! - End of the World Video by Sasquatch D. Yeti - MySpace Video

2:11 -3:01

Also a great episode in general.

The future is a scary thing in this time of the global economic crisis, but what exactly does it have to hold for us - the human race? Will the future be a how many people today dream it will be - an era where there are flying cars, and huge towers of glass in the sky? Or will the future hold for us, a new era of destruction, and mayhem, caused by wars over the depleting natural resources. What solely determines these things are what we do today - but are the things that we are currently doing enough to ensure peace on earth?

i dont like t o think abaout the future.the world is bad anough already wiith the war.

I was thinking earlier what a Golden Age we live in and whether every generation believed they lived in a Golden Age.

Even in my little town, I can go out and get almost any food I could possibly desire in whatever quantity I want.

My home is climate controlled so that neither blistering summer heat nor frigid winter cold affects my comfort. No fire to tend, no coal to stoke.

I have access to nearly the entire compendium of human knowledge at my fingertips and can share my ideas and opinions with both current and future friends from around the world.

I can also instantly communicate with my entire family anytime, day or night, even though we are separated by a thousand miles and have at times been half a world away.

I have traveled the country thru my work and the thanks to the military, the world as well and seen and touched the wonders of God, nature and man.

And that is but the tip of the iceburg.

Maybe the men and women of the future will have their own definition Golden Age, but I can't imagine how it will be better than what we enjoy now...but chances are every generation believes that.

Last edited:
I have one huge fear that our technology will get out of hand ... but not in the whole 'killer robots fighting back' crap. I refer back to Wall-E, the cute little movie, but with a deep message. Humans so use to having everything handed to them that they become fat lazy clueless blobs on hover chairs and everything is done for them by the technology that they forget what a pool even is. *shudder* I would never live like that myself.

I was thinking earlier what a Golden Age we live in and whether every generation believed they lived in a Golden Age.

Even in my little town, I can go out and get almost any food I could possibly desire in whatever quantity I want.

My home is climate controlled so that neither blistering summer heat nor frigid winter cold affects my comfort. No fire to tend, no coal to stoke.

I have access to nearly the entire compendium of human knowledge at my fingertips and can share my ideas and opinions with both current and future friends from around the world.

I can also instantly communicate with my entire family anytime, day or night, even though we are separated by a thousand miles and have at times been half a world away.

I have traveled the country thru my work and the thanks to the military, the world as well and seen and touched the wonders of God, nature and man.

And that is but the tip of the iceburg.

Maybe the men and women of the future will have their own definition Golden Age, but I can't imagine how it will be better than what we enjoy now...but chances are every generation believes that.

Only problem with the internet is determining which information is correct.

When I was younger I always thought the deep future was going to be very similar to what it was back then, that we've reached the point of very little improvement and that there wasn't going to be any more huge earth changing inventions, like the radio, or the TV, or the airplane.

And then the internet became really popular.

Now I have no clue what the future holds other than 'technology will improve' which is a very easy guess.

Forum List

Back